Puy du Fou. (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
This is the second time we have paid a visit to Puy du Fou near Les Epesses In the Northern Vendee. Its description is a Theme park but That doesn't describe it properly. It has many spectacular events from Roman coliseum chariot races, Viking attacks, French Revolution epics, A bird show from another planet, etc.
I think this a well keep secret and even the lack of the French language doesn’t detract from the awesome aspect of it.
Everyone should add this amazing place to their bucket list. It runs from Easter to late September, Thurs, fri, sat, and sunday. There is an aire on site and you need Three days to do it justice. A lot of walking between events so not good if you struggle with mobility.
Quite simply the best thing I’ve ever seen.
Phil

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Been twice, highly recommend it. We like the way the food outlets are tucked away so not in your face but all you need. I understand they now have those translated earphones which would have made it a little easier to understand the set shows.

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
We've been twice now and would be more than happy to go again.
One of the food outlets does a medieval feast type thing, not fantastic food, but imursive with everything else going on. Agree 100% about the bird display, terrific. We've also done the Cinéscénie, which is an extra to the standard entry and only on certain days (well, it was when we visited), take a blanket or coat to watch this though as it finishes late and your not moving around, but what a fantastic show, good enough to rival any Disney firework display. Didn't understand a word of the commentary but it was pretty clear what was going on from the actions. Brilliant!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I went several years ago, they had translator devices then, I would advise bringing your own wired ear buds as the ones they give you are cheap and uncomfortable but do work, the birds are amazing especially in the finally but all the enactments/shows are great. I believe there is one in Spain now but I haven't been to that one yet.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Did one day, by chance, 2018. Absolutely amazing place and the birds of prey show was fantastic. Would go again and do at least 2 or 3 days. You can download their app which helps with translation but still great in French.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Don't forget the free kennels for dogs if visiting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We've been twice now and would be more than happy to go again.
One of the food outlets does a medieval feast type thing, not fantastic food, but imursive with everything else going on. Agree 100% about the bird display, terrific. We've also done the Cinéscénie, which is an extra to the standard entry and only on certain days (well, it was when we visited), take a blanket or coat to watch this though as it finishes late and your not moving around, but what a fantastic show, good enough to rival any Disney firework display. Didn't understand a word of the commentary but it was pretty clear what was going on from the actions. Brilliant!
Cinescene unfortunately finished at the end of August so we couldn’t see it but the other night show was amazing. A new (to us) show was the el mime show. At first I wondered where they were going with it but then the director shouted lights, camera, action, and once again a fantastic experience.
Phil

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We’ve just done 3 days there. We’ve been several times before but if ever we’re passing through the Vendee we try to put a few days on one side. Top quality shows and a highly professional set up. We both remarked on the total lack of litter and clean loos.
The Aire is huge (800 places?) with a few hookups for lucky early arrivals. It’s just a 15 minute walk to the entrance.
There are negatives, can be lengthy queues, the Roman amphitheater seats 7000. Some of the stories are hard to follow and Spoiler Alert: the French always win!!…so not entirely historically accurate!

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We had a tip-off about the place from a fellow funster last year, quite simply the most amazing place that we have ever taken our children, we will never forget it! My daughter went to Disney Land this year with school and said that it was rubbish compared to PDF!
We were lucky and got to see the evening show, Les Noces de Feu, which was magical.

<M>

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Cinescene unfortunately finished at the end of August so we couldn’t see it but the other night show was amazing. A new (to us) show was the el mime show. At first I wondered where they were going with it but then the director shouted lights, camera, action, and once again a fantastic experience.
Phil
If you had paid £50 or more just to see that in a theatre at home you would have been happy. Absolutely first class entertainment.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
the French always win!!…so not entirely historically accurate!
It's not just the French winning which might detract from the "fantasy":

Some politicians on the left accused Puy du Fou of a reactionary, pro-monarchy rewriting of the past steeped in Catholic traditionalism that they said served the far right.

Alexis Corbière and Matthias Tavel of the radical left La France Insoumise party called it an “ideological enterprise of the ultraconservative right”.

IF you can't understand the commentary then you're not likely to be too concerned.

Gordon

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It's not just the French winning which might detract from the "fantasy":

Some politicians on the left accused Puy du Fou of a reactionary, pro-monarchy rewriting of the past steeped in Catholic traditionalism that they said served the far right.

Alexis Corbière and Matthias Tavel of the radical left La France Insoumise party called it an “ideological enterprise of the ultraconservative right”.

IF you can't understand the commentary then you're not likely to be too concerned.

Gordon
Never let it be said that the left endorse factual retelling of historical events, only the parts that suit their agenda should be told to the public, especially to children and those too lazy to do their own research.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
We went a couple of years ago and thought it was wonderful. We saw both of the evening shows which were amazing. I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that if you download the app onto your phone, and connect to their wifi, you can get the english translation for each attraction as an audio stream. We shared an earbud each and found it worked really well. The character dining experiences are also fabulous, and reasonable value for money.

IMG_4593.jpeg

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Never let it be said that the left endorse factual retelling of historical events, only the parts that suit their agenda should be told to the public, especially to children and those too lazy to do their own research.
So factual apart from the bits where France always wins? 😉

Gordon

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Just booked another trip for next year. I had never heard of it before it was recommended to me. As others have said, you can’t accurately describe how good it is, one of those things you just have to experience and one I would unhesitatingly recommend to friends

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I'm planning on going in a few weeks, is it necessary to book in advance at this time of year (out of season)?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Maybe somewhere to visit on our upcoming trip to Brittany.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is the second time we have paid a visit to Puy du Fou near Les Epesses In the Northern Vendee. Its description is a Theme park but That doesn't describe it properly. It has many spectacular events from Roman coliseum chariot races, Viking attacks, French Revolution epics, A bird show from another planet, etc.
I think this a well keep secret and even the lack of the French language doesn’t detract from the awesome aspect of it.
Everyone should add this amazing place to their bucket list. It runs from Easter to late September, Thurs, fri, sat, and sunday. There is an aire on site and you need Three days to do it justice. A lot of walking between events so not good if you struggle with mobility.
Quite simply the best thing I’ve ever seen.
Phil
Before COVID, they started something similar up North somewhere, is that still going? 🤔

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'm planning on going in a few weeks, is it necessary to book in advance at this time of year (out of season)?
If you're not visiting during French school holidays you should be okay, however you may not be able to get tickets for the night show Ciniscenie. I believe you can download a free app which will show availability and allow ticket purchase.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I’ve not heard of that but they have a Puy Du Fou near Madrid now.. 👍

The one I was thinking about is/was held at Auckland Castle.

Similar to the Puy Du Fou but it tells the history of Britain, or so I believe.
Something like 400 of the local population used to be involved. 👍

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
The one I was thinking about is/was held at Auckland Castle.

Similar to the Puy Du Fou but it tells the history of Britain, or so I believe.
Something like 400 of the local population used to be involved. 👍
It’s called Kynren and it’s been done in collaboration with the folks from Puy Du Fou. Just waiting for the grandkids to be a bit older so it’s on our list for 2025.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I think they are also planning one somewhere like Caseres, but don’t quote me on it. I could just as easily be talking nonsense. 😂

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Before COVID, they started something similar up North somewhere, is that still going? 🤔
We went to Kynren's first season, and it poured down. WE got soaked even though we were in waterproof trousers as well as coats. t didn't help that the plastic seats were swimming in water when we found them! The main problem for us was the lack of suitable camp sites or stop overs for the van. I wrote to them and told them they needed to appeal to van people but they weren't interested. Apparently a lot of training for Kynren was done by Puy de Fou, including the horses. It was a good show (though nothing like as good as Puy du Fou), and well produced. Bishop Auckland must be glad of it!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back