Pure water? Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It helps the forum a little bit; but I'd of liked to see a reference for what you've based the feedback on.
Ultrapure water has industrial applications. (My reference)
Not domestic drinking water.

At the time I looked this morning I didn't find a reliable source that explained how water absent of all minerals would strip them from someone consuming them but there are plenty of half decent ones.

I'm not too concerned as if I got some, ultrapure water will be consumed in moderation - if at all.

edit: clarity
Morning

As promised I have some numbers to clarify my explanation

First - Lets agree on the definition that Minerals as we are referring to them are inorganic compounds that are found in water and foodstuffs

Minerals in water are dissolved inorganic molecules of a number of anions and cations. The most common in water are Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium and their carbonates, sulphates etc.. Lets focus on Calcium.

Pure Water will have zero Calcium. Soft water typically has a Calcium level of <50mg/l. In the Isle of Man it is less than 10mg/l. Hard Water would typically be around 120mg/l. Milk has 1200mg/l and Cheese around 7500mg/kg

The Scaling that we experience most is caused when Calcium Bicarbonate (or Manganese Bicarbonate) comes out of solution and become insoluble Calcium Carbonate (often referred to as Lime softening). Hard Water is more prone to softening and the rate of deposition is higher.

If you look at the relative amounts of Calcium in the 4 types above you will see that there is a difference between pure water and tap water. However the point I am trying to get across is that in relative terms that difference is insignificant. So if you drank 1 litre of pure water and just a few grams of cheese you would have eater more minerals than just drinking a litre of hard tap water.

So unless your diet was just water and food with no minerals (which don't exist) then the difference between drinking pure water and tap water is insignificant.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I suspect people are more concerned for their boilers than their entrails.
If you are cheeky I will give you more on the science of scaling and I will start to introduce Langelliers Index so you had better be careful what you say:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back