Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
I've noticed a very light dent on the side of my hymer. It's slight. Looks as though someone fell into it.
Question is, can you get them pulled out? The metal isn't creased so I'm thinking a sucker could potentially pull it out?

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Go on the web and find either Dent Wizard or Dent Devil. both come out to you and do an exellent
job at reasonable rates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
Yes Tony but why can't it be manipulated out if it's only a slight dent with no creases?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aluminum stretches it you try and pull it out you will end up with a bump, that is even if you can with it bonded to the foam.
If it is really noticeable a good body shop could fill and respray the area if done properly should blend in perfectly.
Had a repair done on our first Hymer after a little prang you would have never known it had been filled and sprayed and that was on a champagne gold metallic finish.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes Tony but why can't it be manipulated out if it's only a slight dent with no creases?
You can't get to the back of it when it's a foam sandwich panel, if you took a panel off the inside and dug the foam out to get to it you stand a chance of making a bigger mess.

Martin

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
All of the above is fairly accurate, there is however a slide hammer option where the fixing is by bonding to the exterior surface with glue, later released with a agent, this method of dent removal is not very precise and a skilled man who can do this would be extremely hard to find.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I have heard of people using a suitably humourous sticker over a dent :D

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I used to have my own business doing this find of thing,Paintless dent removal etc and also the old fashoned way ,pudding and paint (filler to you chaps) ,there has been a lot of good advice in previous posts. Aluminium does not lend itself to paintless dent removal ,that technique only works on steel , slide hammers require some sort of fixing ,if you use a screw you have to drill the metal first ,chemical bonding will damage the paint.
if you have it repaired using filler and paint ,it may well leave the panel looking different from the rest of the vehicle ,paint can be very closely matched and using skill can be blended in to become invisible ,but a panel with new paint on it may stand out a little

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Personally I would leave the dent alone unless it's broken through. It will look wise & show up more if you try to get rid of it which will be quite hard on a Hymer as (said earlier) it's a skin of Alumimium bonded to a thick layer of insulation-about 25-30 mm thick!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I used to have my own business doing this find of thing,Paintless dent removal etc and also the old fashoned way ,pudding and paint (filler to you chaps) ,there has been a lot of good advice in previous posts. Aluminium does not lend itself to paintless dent removal ,that technique only works on steel , slide hammers require some sort of fixing ,if you use a screw you have to drill the metal first ,chemical bonding will damage the paint.
if you have it repaired using filler and paint ,it may well leave the panel looking different from the rest of the vehicle ,paint can be very closely matched and using skill can be blended in to become invisible ,but a panel with new paint on it may stand out a little

Ex dent man eh ? No wonder you call yourself a Laird, I see the invoices you guys issue.Just to bring you up to date there are now a number of
Aluminium bodied cars like Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes, pdr repairs are possible, the process is a little different to the conventional one you are familiar with, best summarised as slower and with heat.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ex dent man eh ? No wonder you call yourself a Laird, I see the invoices you guys issue.Just to bring you up to date there are now a number of
Aluminium bodied cars like Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes, pdr repairs are possible, the process is a little different to the conventional one you are familiar with, best summarised as slower and with heat.
But none of the cars mentioned have a sheet aluminium bodywork bonded to 40 mm of PU foam and then backed with another sheet of aluminium or interior trim/ply.

Martin

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I have heard of people using a suitably humourous sticker over a dent :D
In the 1980s we had a Renault which lost an argument with a Fyffes lorry. At the time there was quite a famous advert for French Golden delicious where the punch line was Le Crunch, so we fashioned a sticker with LE CRUNCH! in big letters and stuck it over the dent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back