Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

We have not long bought our motorhome (which is still currently being built) and I have been looking into pulling a car on the back.

I intend on going away for the duration of the summer as I am teacher, so having a small car handy would be great. I don't want to pull a trailer and I am away there are some countries you can't pull a car on an A-Frame - I shall just avoid those ;-).

After visiting some car dealerships there appears to be some different opinions and they have said not to do this to a car. Ford said the KA+ is good for it and it does not clock up the miles as the car is not actually on? Smart said they do not recommend it at all as this can damage the gearbox should it go out of neutral which is not unheard of (then would need a new gear box). Fiat said the 500 would need to be pulled backwards?

Any help is appreciated.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are plenty of cars that can be towed, but it is illegal in some countries around europe

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'm a teacher, and I am away!..

I'm sure autokerong got in your way, but..... come on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think your biggest problem with Europe is its allegedly illegal in France, Spain and Germany.
Apart from not leaving much of western Europe it really doesn't leave any entry points into Europe from the UK.
OK, there's Belgium, Holland and Portugal... Then where you going to go?

As for automatics.... Unless its a true torque converter auto I can't see a problem.
Most of the small cars are robotised manual gearboxs

Not clocking the miles....
It may not show on the odometer but the miles are still being put on the running gear/brakes and the steering and front wheel bearings in particular are getting a harder time than if it was being driven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Rich the dealerships are totaly the wrong people to ask name the cars you are thinking of and re phrase your question

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Rich the dealerships are totaly the wrong people to ask name the cars you are thinking of and re phrase your question

Thank you! I shall try that.

Literally went out to a couple of dealerships to ask the question - which possibly was the wrong thing to do :LOL:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
When did you take your driving test?

Do you have a minimum B+E category?
I think your biggest problem with Europe is its allegedly illegal in France, Spain and Germany.
Apart from not leaving much of western Europe it really doesn't leave any entry points into Europe from the UK.
OK, there's Belgium, Holland and Portugal... Then where you going to go?

As for automatics.... Unless its a true torque converter auto I can't see a problem.
Most of the small cars are robotised manual gearboxs

Not clocking the miles....
It may not show on the odometer but the miles are still being put on the running gear/brakes and the steering and front wheel bearings in particular are getting a harder time than if it was being driven.

I am on a new licence as I am 34. But I have looked into getting the extension for what I need (If I need to get it - but that's just scary).

I am totally new at this - just asking the questions. Clearly my internet research has not got me very far so a trailer is possibly the way forward? I was a bit scared of doing this but possibly might be the best thing - I have checked and the weight of my current car is ok to pull with the motorhome but will need to be chipped to do it.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Common gearboxes used in cars are:

Manual
Robotic manual
Twin clutch
Torque Converter (conventional) automatic

You can tow a manual - apart from the very few that use an internal oil pump for lubrication.
You can tow a robotic manual - apart from the very few that use an internal oil pump for lubrication and as long as you know how to ensure it is in Neutral (trying to push it is a good test :))
You cannot tow a twin clutch. Apart from the fact that Neutral may not really be Neutral they invariable have an oil pump
You cannot tow a Torque Converter Auto. They all have oil pumps and rely on them heavily for lubrication

I know you say you don't want a trailer but it is the safe answer if you intend crossing the channel. It will be a couple of feet maximum longer than a car + A frame and has the big advantage that you can reverse with it.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What Motorhome have you bought?(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
potential insurance issues with chipping, trailer is an option but very cumbersome - okay maybe if you are travelling for the season to say Spain with one main stop.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do you intend to tour around or stay in one place for periods of time? Personally I wouldn't bother with towing a car at all, IMO you may as well have a caravan. If you need alternative transport bikes are a good bet or even a motorcycle. We try to park reasonably close to where we want to go then either walk or use public transport. It's rare we stay anywhere for more than a few days.

Perhaps you should think it through a little more, maybe wait until you've got a few trips under your belt before worrying about licences, trailers, suitability etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Common gearboxes used in cars are:

Manual
Robotic manual
Twin clutch
Torque Converter (conventional) automatic

You can tow a manual - apart from the very few that use an internal oil pump for lubrication.
You can tow a robotic manual - apart from the very few that use an internal oil pump for lubrication and as long as you know how to ensure it is in Neutral (trying to push it is a good test :))
You cannot tow a twin clutch. Apart from the fact that Neutral may not really be Neutral they invariable have an oil pump
You cannot tow a Torque Converter Auto. They all have oil pumps and rely on them heavily for lubrication

I know you say you don't want a trailer but it is the safe answer if you intend crossing the channel. It will be a couple of feet maximum longer than a car + A frame and has the big advantage that you can reverse with it.

Thank you for that information!

I am starting to think this is my way forward - as much as I didn't want it to be! I have never towed in my life and I am in that fear of the jack-knife situation (or is less likely than with a car and caravan?).

Maybe I will get that licence :whistle:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your new van is 3500kg or under you will need to take a trailer test to gain the E category.

If its over 3500kg your well stuffed, you need to take a full driving test C1 for heavy vehicles.. 3500kg > 7500kg then a trailer test to gain the E category.

I doubt your new van will need chipping, while towing you are restricted to 50mph anyway but will be capable of much more as it is.
Chipping CAN cause its own problems... Accelerated clutch wear etc.

Oh, well done for subscribing.
You'll soon get your money back in help and advice alone plus member discounts from fun traders.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you intend to tour around or stay in one place for periods of time? Personally I wouldn't bother with towing a car at all, IMO you may as well have a caravan. If you need alternative transport bikes are a good bet or even a motorcycle. We try to park reasonably close to where we want to go then either walk or use public transport. It's rare we stay anywhere for more than a few days.

Perhaps you should think it through a little more, maybe wait until you've got a few trips under your belt before worrying about licences, trailers, suitability etc.

Totally agree with this! We are very new at this with limited experience. I am a teacher - so that last day of term, the motorhome will be outside and il grab my kids and head for the port/tunnel. Then be home ready for school the day before term starts. :)

Maybe I wil see how the first year goes and travel without a car in tow.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you have never towed before you need to consider that an A frame is not easy to reverse but also a trailer on the back is a long vehicle ours is 12m long towing a Fiat Panda 4x4 on a twin axle trailer.
However once you have done it and gained confidence you won’t know its on the back.(y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
If your new van is 3500kg or under you will need to take a trailer test to gain the E category.

If its over 3500kg your well stuffed, you need to take a full driving test C1 for heavy vehicles.. 3500kg > 7500kg then a trailer test to gain the E category.

I doubt your new van will need chipping, while towing you are restricted to 50mph anyway but will be capable of much more as it is.
Chipping CAN cause its own problems... Accelerated clutch wear etc.

Oh, well done for subscribing.
You'll soon get your money back in help and advice alone plus member discounts from fun traders.

he he he - well stuffed! I had the tiniest bit about me when buying and sussed this before we bought! (y)

Stay away from chipping then too!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am in that fear of the jack-knife situation (or is less likely than with a car and caravan?).
Towing with an A frame is the safest form of towing there is.
A wheel at each corner guarantees that.
Once underway you don't even know the car is there, I can assure you of that
The only drawback is you can't reverse other than in a DEAD STRAIGHT line because of the cars steering GEOMETRY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Towing with an A frame is the safest form of towing there is.
A wheel at each corner guarantees that.
Once underway you don't even know the car is there, I can assure you of that
The only drawback is you can't reverse other than in a DEAD STRAIGHT line because of the cars steering GEOMETRY.

You have been really helpful! Loads for me to think about! possibly give it the first year to make a decision maybe the way to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RichieRY
Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Very nice wouldn’t think it would need chipping it’s a Ford isn’t it?

Thank you - yes, we went for the Ford front as I see more ford vans etc on the road than Fiat.

The guy in the dealership said if we wanted to pull my current car (F-Pace) it would need the extra power apparently.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you - yes, we went for the Ford front as I see more ford vans etc on the road than Fiat.

The guy in the dealership said if we wanted to pull my current car (F-Pace) it would need the extra power apparently.
We had a 150bhp Fiat in our Exsis and that had plenty of power we now have the 180 with Auto box even better however never had Ford 2 Ltr but heard good reports on them.
Good luck whatever you do.(y)(y) And enjoy it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Well he would wouldn't he...
Not much of a salesman if he said you need a Fiat :LOL:

Make sure you have really good security on it and a quality tracker
Transits are the most stolen van in the UK at the moment

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back