Protruding load chevron marker (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Hi
Can somebody advise on the requirements for Italy of displaying the rear chevron (red/white 500x500mm board) onto a loaded bike rack. I realise it is a legal requirement (and for Spain also) but there appears much conjecture upon the specification of such a board. The following things come to mind:
1) Does it have to be metal, or is plastic acceptable?
2) Do the red/white stripes need to be Class 1 retro reflective. Many listings are silent on this matter.
3) How many red stripes are needed (seems to be 5 for Italy, 3 for Spain) ?
4) Are the circular red reflectors of any significance with regard to legality?

Lots of questions for something that should appear to be quite simple. Or am I worrying about something for nothing, just trying to get it right so as not to face a potential fine (120 euros in Italy I am advised). They seem to vary in price from about £8 on ebay for a plastic version to over £40 for a metal version.

Many thanks.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have a reflective aluminium one bought for use in Italy. Willing to sell but will have to wait until I am home to dig out of shed! (One week)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
I bought a Fiamma aluminium one with reflective red and white stripes as this is what I understood to be the requirement in Italy.

Thanks, I was looking at this one as I believe Flamma is an Italian make so I would have thought it would be compliant. What put me off was the fact it did not state it was class 1 retro that I was advised elsewhere it needs to be. Class 1 is the material (usually 3m I believe) used for motorway signage whereas other signage needs only be class 2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
I have a reflective aluminium one bought for use in Italy. Willing to sell but will have to wait until I am home to dig out of shed! (One week)
Many thanks, Bristol, my old home town (of 50+ years) but perhaps a bit far fro0m Cumbria as we are off in a couple of weeks. Will bear in mind though, much appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
In June I rode my bike to Southern Italy. Yes, some vans had boards fitted, but many didn’t…..particularly the Italian registered vans.

Seems it’s only us visitors that worry about having the right one fitted.🤷‍♂️👍

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
In June I rode my bike to Southern Italy. Yes, some vans had boards fitted, but many didn’t…..particularly the Italian registered vans.

Seems it’s only us visitors that worry about having the right one fitted.🤷‍♂️👍
So, possibly then the same target one's that receive on the spot road fines for speeding,though the local registered cars never get pulled over whilst progressing at the same speed, or the belated demands for dubious parking infringements weeks or month's later.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
So, possibly then the same target one's that receive on the spot road fines for speeding,though the local registered cars never get pulled over whilst progressing at the same speed, or the belated demands for dubious parking infringements weeks or month's later.
Mike.

I did 3170 miles in 10 days. Didn’t see one van pulled by anyone anywhere……not a scientific study I know. However, over 45 years of living (7 years) and travelling on the continent on motorcycles, in cars and van, I’ve been stopped once in France…..document check, and once in Germany….20 Deutschmarks fine (that’s how long ago that was😁) for 60kph in a 50kph.🤦‍♂️

I’m not saying don’t try to comply, I’m just saying which way the strips go or what it’s made of I wouldn’t lose sleep over.🤷‍♂️👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back