Protecting web browsing, etc. (1 Viewer)

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
This is one for the geeks. :Smile: (Not being one myself).

Though I don't know much about the technology I am aware that we run risks of unscrupulous individuals who are forever after our data for their own unsavoury ends and that we should take steps to guard against this.

I came upon this product when I was downloading an update to uTorrent and wondered if
a) anybody knew anything about it?
b) does it do the job?, and
c) is it worth the money???

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Or is there something better out there?
Thanks for any advice, but please keep it simple.:winky:

John

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi there...

I don't know much about many things but I know a little about VPNs.

Just let's imagine, as a BBC licence payer, you pop abroad and find you cannot listen to footy on your computer via the internet because the BBC don't have the rights to broadcast abroard (via the internet.) Not fair right?

So... you use a VPN. (A Virtual Private Network)

You sign up and then when using the internet for anything your data can go via another computer (proxy server?) somewhere else. So now, after pressing a couple of buttons, the BBC (for example) think you are in England not (for example Portugal) and so you can listen to footy... or watch TV just as you can when in Blighty.

So, by using a VPN "no one" knows your exact location or your true internet address. (I suspect the VPN provider MIGHT be able to but don't know for sure.)

I understand (ironically) from a BBC documentary that bad people (Terrorists, child abusers, money launderers etc) use these services for privacy over the internet.

Also used by dreadful file sharers who, rather than give Mick Jagger anymore money having already bought the vinyl and cd versions of his work, get the albums from "sharers" over the web free. (Moi? Jamais)

Check out and compare www.Boxpn.com it is what I use both on my laptop and Android operated SGN2.

Does my Boxpn service work? Yes, very well.

Is it worth the money? To me yes, yes, yes... I would have paid twice as much...

How much would I pay to listen to City smacking The Other Lot across the city live... a lot!

JJ :Cool:

PS. There are many sites offering free services but I have yet to find one that is usuable... normally slow and packed with ads.

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
It really depends on what you want to do.

If it is crucial to you that your whereabouts are not revealed - eg because you want to watch iplayer outside the UK - then JJ's solution is a good one. (more accurately you are pretending to be in the UK)

If you are just normal browsing then I do not think you have anything to worry about anyway as long as your machine is properly protected by virus checker and malware checkers, and that these are up to date. Yes theoretically someone could spy on what you are looking at, only you can know whether that matters.

Some people worry about internet banking on random wifi connections, but even these are OK because all the data is encrypted from your machine to the banks servers - just make sure it says https and not http, and no-one else can see the data. Web mail is also secure for the same reason (as long as you use a decent system like gmail).

So do you need a VPN? Only you can decide, but I do not feel that I do. They are really more for business where there is a need to share business data over internet securely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
JJ summed up a lot of what I would have said...

If you dont have a virus checker - get one now!
You should also ensure your virus checker supports anti-phishing via your web browser...as well as a host of other stuff - but any decent branded AV software should do this.

I personally use Kazpersky - but people have their own preferences, like brands of beans and trainers.

Never open mail you dont know who its from...
Never click on links your not sure of...

I would also recommend the use of a password generator, like CoffeeCup Lockbox, this allows you to make passwords complex and un-guessable and not easily cracked, e.g. brute force wont work - EVERYONE in my household has and uses Lockbox. I cannot tell you what my important passwords are - i need the application!

A reasonable amount of paranoia is good, you should safeguard your computer, like your house or your van - but dont lose sleep over it - take sensible precautions...

but if youre just trying to bypass some of the boundaries (iplayer, SkyGo)...just do it :thumb:

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to sign up for VPN. Downside is I can't play my son at Scrabble any more. Oh well. These things happen.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back