Propane - cylinder off or on for travel? (1 Viewer)

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
Twice now I've forgotten to turn the gas off (at the cylinder) before returning home.

I'm sure it's never wise to do this, but - in the real world, not the Elf n Safety channel - how much of a boo-boo is this? Does anyone else confess to this, or am I going straight to Funster Hell?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
With good intention I aim to turn the gas off before travelling (it is on my check list) but I have to confess to forgetting to on occasions. Never been through the "tunnel" so that doesn't come into it as far as I am concerned.

Dave

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have gas-low i never forget to turn it off as we do not turn it off except ferry then that the wife's job
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Like others it seems, we don't turn ours off.

We have an underslung tank, crash sensor and armoured piping. I fitted a single tap in line as the pipe enters the van, well before the main gas taps (figured this gives a single point it could fail).

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You're not necessarily safe if Truma Secumotion is fitted. That's only in case of a collision.
I think I recall seeing signs prohibiting the use of gas at some motorway service areas.

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You're not necessarily safe if Truma Secumotion is fitted. That's only in case of a collision.
I think I recall seeing signs prohibiting the use of gas at some motorway service areas.

That's what we have.

I worded my first post badly though (pre-coffee lol), having the tap on entry before the main taps manifold gives 2 points of failure (and was the reason for fitting this way).

Still not perfect of course, but what is :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i thin that the use of gas at motorway services it to do with you having to buy there over priced coffee and crap food
bill

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back