Propane - cylinder off or on for travel? (1 Viewer)

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
Twice now I've forgotten to turn the gas off (at the cylinder) before returning home.

I'm sure it's never wise to do this, but - in the real world, not the Elf n Safety channel - how much of a boo-boo is this? Does anyone else confess to this, or am I going straight to Funster Hell?

Jun 19, 2014
NantyBwch WALES
Funster No
MH
A Class Arnold
Exp
I leave mine on, switch it off at tank for ferries, ive never used the chunnel but i will use the chunnel next time because i found out from the members postings on here that you can take tanks on as long as its for cooking/heating, :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David M Franks

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
Well, this has cheered me up. I thought I'd get flamed to death, but it doesn't seem such a heinous crime judging by the replies so far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Twice now I've forgotten to turn the gas off (at the cylinder) before returning home.

I'm sure it's never wise to do this, but - in the real world, not the Elf n Safety channel - how much of a boo-boo is this? Does anyone else confess to this, or am I going straight to Funster Hell?
Think about what your asking here, if I turn the gas off how is Mrs Badknee supposed to make me a brew or cook my lunch while I'm driving? Pfft, silly question. ;)

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have two Gaslow cylinders and always (forgotten a couple of times) turn off to travel!

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Not fitted with one of those collision shut offs (reason given: "reliability concerns reported" - in other words they care more about margins than safety) and we have diesel heating, so it should be off

Regular bottle, and I have forgotten to turn it off a couple of times.

Gaslow to go in soon

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you turn the tank off?
On ours you have to crawl underneath the vehicle, unscrew a cover and only then can you get at the valve which turns it off where the gas leaves the tank.
So we just turn it off by shutting two small valves in a kitchen cupboard. :) These are well downstream of the tank but better than doing nothing.
Some underslung tank installations have a tank isolating valve which is easier to get at - but they are not actually on the tank so there could still be a leak from the pipe connecting the tank to the valve.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On ours you have to crawl underneath the vehicle, unscrew a cover and only then can you get at the valve which turns it off where the gas leaves the tank.
So we just turn it off by shutting two small valves in a kitchen cupboard. :) These are well downstream of the tank but better than doing nothing.
Some underslung tank installations have a tank isolating valve which is easier to get at - but they are not actually on the tank so there could still be a leak from the pipe connecting the tank to the valve.
Are the tunnel staff happy with it switched off in a cupboard and not on the tank? They usually check our bottles are off... I must have one of those faces :LOL:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are the tunnel staff happy with it switched off in a cupboard and not on the tank? They usually check our bottles are off... I must have one of those faces :LOL:
Never been on the tunnel (too far away :)) but I would have to crawl underneath if we did. I have heard of folk doing this but only twiddling the screw which secures the cover and announcing "gas turned off" :eek:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never forgotten because I leave them on, apart from ferries. I do have anti-rupture hoses & Secumotion regulator. If I didn't have those safety items I would never drive with the gas on.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Travel with them on, but only because I have the safety features mentioned above. Before I had them and had calor bottles only, I always switched off.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've got the crash protection valve on ours, stainless steel piping and the Fridge 'Auto' mode but I still turn it off at the cylinder and run the fridge on 12v only when driving.

I sometimes forget to turn the cylinder off, but the fridge is always on 12v only when travelling.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Not on the ferry but always when travelling. So when I park up the fridge goes to gas automatically and the ice is always available for that first g&t at journeys end. Also use sealed ice trays.

Upvote 0

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Never turn my gas off only turn the gas switch to min when the 12 volt turns on when driving.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When we rented vans, and were new to this whole motorhoming thing, we would religiously switch off the gas before driving.
Ever since we've owned one, we have never bothered to switch off the gas, it is a total faff if you do, because the fridge needs to be reset. It 'remembers' the gas flow failure and you have to switch it off and on again. Not sure if they all do this, but our fridge won't ignite until at least 15mins after losing 12v power. I'm guessing this is so you don't blow up a petrol station when you refuel?
Only time we isolate the gas is when we go on the ferry, and we are commanded to do so by the check in staff :D

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I never switch ours off except when travelling on the Tunnel or Ferries. If anyone is tempted to leave the system on whilst using the tunnel it is worth bearing in mind that each carriage of the tunnel has 4 passive UV Flame detectors. Therefore, if you have your gas on and your fridge still switched on and operating on gas it is extremely likely that the detectors will pick up the flame of the fridge and cause an activation of the fire alarm in that part of the train. It is the same with the flash from a camera, hence the reminders not to use cameras and no smoking. Obviously, this goes along with all the other potential hazards of not following the rules.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We also have the security crash protection valve thingy so leave the gas on. The fridge is auto so goes to 12v when driving, gas when stopped (after 15 min) and 240v on EHU. I try to remember to turn the gas valve on the bottle off when stopping for fuel, if we are going to be more than 15 minutes, but if we are being honest, I generally do not remember. Should probably move away from the pump and park up if I am going to be more than 15 minutes in the shop anyway.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back