Project: Invalid Scooter Loading Ramp for Under £100.

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by Tootles, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Tootles

Tootles Funster Deceased RIP

Ratings:
    +48,869
    I have decided to set myself some self-help projects, useful additions to motorhoming or just day to day general aids. The criteria being 1. The job mustn't be too 'heavy', and something I can carry out on my own. 2. The cost for all materials must be under £100.
    My car is a Mk1 Citroen Berlingo Desire, (the glass roof and roof and roof locker model), 1.9 diesel. At the Malvern show last year, Ali bought me a SupaScoota XL mobility scooter. It was the one I had researched, and hankered over, because it's built like a tank, and both rear wheels are driven independently, giving it a great climb ratio, (1 in 6), and blow up tyres for grass use etc. Also, it has a great fully sprung seat, and the whole lot fully collapses flat for storage........However, like most good things, there is a drawback. It's heavy. :(

scooter1.jpg There came the rub. By stripping it, I could get it into the Berlingo, but then, on arriving at a destination, it had to be manhandled out, and built up at the kerbside, not ideal. The more I looked unto the problem, the more I realised that custom made vehicles were VERY expensive, because they are modified to have a sunken rear deck/floor, allowing a folding fixed loading ramp to be fitted, that could fold up as the rear door was closed. The ramps themselves can cost around £1,000........Not a sum of money I could even entertain at the moment.
    The rear access on the Mk 1 Berlingo sits at something like 16" from the road, quite a high angle, but I was sure that if I could find alloy lightweight ramps, of the correct length, then The Scoot could negotiate the climb. Then, by folding two of the three rear seats, it should roll in nicely under it's own power, set on 'crawl'.
    After trawling the web and ebay for an hour or two, I came up with all sorts of different ramps and allow sections, but most of them contained a center strength rib, no good for Mr Scoot, as he has narrow front wheels. Eventually, I found this.........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252111106866

A pair of single ramps, joined together in seconds by slip pins, with captive pins on chains to locate into holes drilled into the vehicle. Further more, each section is built like a suitcase, and folds together, with a carrying handle. Two sizes.....4 ft and 6 ft, with a considerable price difference. After much measuring and chalk marks on the road, I decided to take the risk on the cheaper 4 foot, reasoning that the ramps would clear the towball, and that the Scoot could climb the slope..........

ramp1.jpg

Arrived, ready to unpack. Locked into the folded position.

ramp5.jpg

Here are both sections ready to be slip-pinned together. Build quality of this product is 100%, and the manufacturers have gone the extra mile to eradicate sharp edges etc.
    ramp2.jpg

Both sections now joined together. It seems like the risk I took in ordering the 4 ft product was justified.
    After positioning, I drilled two 10 mm holes through the pre-made holes in the ramps, and into the rear cross member of the truck. Two spring ball pins, chained, provide adequate security for loading/unloading.
    ramp3.jpg
    STAND BY FOR TAKE OFF! Mr Scoot climbing, (with ease), the ramps. So easy by using the crawl feature and the hand control. The Supa Scoota is fitted with an electro-magnetic brake system. Once the power is off, the rear wheels lock.
    ramp4.jpg
    Loaded and ready to go. The Berlingo's are fitted with sturdy floor clamps, and by using a single tie down 'ribbon', the load stays solid. Seconds to fold and load the alloy ramps, (12 lb each). Plus, plenty of room for the weekly shop left over.......Once I clear my crap out of the back! And, the hound still has her single rear seat and belt support.

4ft Ramps - With permanent silver grip finish
    Folded Length of each part - 63cm / 24.8"
    Folded Width of each part - 36cm /14"
    Folded Depth of each part - 13cm /5"
    Length assembled - 122cm / 4ft
    Width Assembled - 74cm / 29.5"
    Depth Assembled - 8cm / 3.1"
    Total Weight - 11kg / 24lbs (both parts together) so each is only 5.5kg / 12lbs
    Internal width of track - 66cm /26"
    Box Size - 64cm x 40cm x 26cm

Heath Robinson?? Maybe, but, this system more then fills the criteria I was hoping to achive. And, it dosent end there. A single ramp would slide nicely into a M/H habitation door, for say loading bikes carried inside, or a full shopping trolley.
    And, all for less then my £100 target. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Nice One! x 16
    • Like it x 12
    • Love it x 9
    • Useful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,066
    Whilst I’m very glad to read about your latest exploits, I feel that we may have been misled into your imminent demise and posted pages of fulsome eulogies :D
    Seriously though, great you seem to be feeling better.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  3. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,235
    How many shopping trolleys have you nicked so far? :)

Are they part of your next project?

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    OUCH!! Really sorry for not shaking off my mortal coil on time! :Eeek:I just cant give in. I never will. Today's 'episode' took me four hours, where once the job would have been chop-chop 30 mins. And, I paid for the effort this afternoon. :(:( But that's not the point. I cant just sit around watching day time TV, in my comfy chair, awaiting the funny farm ambulance to arrive. Life for me dosent come with 'exceptions', its all or nothing.
    And, if anyone feels I have 'misled' them, then tough. That was not my intention. o_O

• Love it Love it x 12
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 5
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,066
    Sorry, no offence meant I’m obviously not cut out for a little banter and really please accept my apologies if you felt I meant something else.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    You dont have to apologise. Thats not what it's about. It's understanding that by bashing on, and refusing to accept the end product, by posting funny stiff, or things that might help others, then there lies a certain therapy. (y)
    Plus, the new drugs are helping me to eat yummy bratwurst, donner kebabs, and chips again. :)

• Love it Love it x 9
    • Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,066
    Well I do need to apologise as I meant to give you a smile in my post, talking just as I might to a friend in person in a jokey way. I really admire you for doing what you do and for the way you are tackling your illness.
    I certainly didn’t mean to hurt you, that’s the last thing in my thoughts.

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    I meant like the old ladies shopping trolley (tartan, like yours), Jan............:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,066
    Glad the appetite is back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Janine

Ratings:
    +14,235
    Oh, ok...I was thinking something for a Funster meet....

mopar_cart.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,837
    Dave, you know the score, if you need use of anything and we can help, just say. got stacks of equipment here

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    Now, THAT has possibilities. (y)(y)(y)

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Coastal Cruiser.

Coastal Cruiser. Funster

Ratings:
    +5,504
    Be able to work your way up to a nice Fray Bentos pie soon:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Janine

Ratings:
    +14,235
    or this.....

0df5cb1056ef133c74b9bf0168ab4a83--build-your-own-how-to-build.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. Wildbill

Wildbill

Ratings:
    +23,738
    You just keep your self going @Tootles bud keep fighting it mate live every minute as it comes
    Good luck bud
    Bill

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  16. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    TRUE CONFESSIONS.........Had one last night....Well, half a one.......Tell you what, the pastry has taken a dive from rank to rank-rank.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like it Like it x 1
  17. Popeye

Popeye Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,832
    Crackin job Toots, not disimilar to my attempts at three ramps to get my trike in the van, except I couldn't have done it for £100.

What is the total weight of the supa scooter?

@Riverbankannie , don't be so daft, I was going to open up with "Christ Dave, are you still 'ere?"

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  18. Coastal Cruiser.

Coastal Cruiser. Funster

Ratings:
    +5,504
    Not had one myself but by all accounts the pastry is the pie as in no meat.

Obviously there are certain people on here that rate them along side the likes of food served in a 5 star restaurant

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +84,704
    @Tootles is a sod

He mentions donner kebabs and now all I can think of is donner kebabs ( with no salad and extra chilli sauce)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  20. Tootles

Ratings:
    +48,869
    Around 35 KG Griff. Thats with the seat, (heavy), and the battery.