Project: Invalid Scooter Loading Ramp for Under £100. (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have decided to set myself some self-help projects, useful additions to motorhoming or just day to day general aids. The criteria being 1. The job mustn't be too 'heavy', and something I can carry out on my own. 2. The cost for all materials must be under £100.
My car is a Mk1 Citroen Berlingo Desire, (the glass roof and roof and roof locker model), 1.9 diesel. At the Malvern show last year, Ali bought me a SupaScoota XL mobility scooter. It was the one I had researched, and hankered over, because it's built like a tank, and both rear wheels are driven independently, giving it a great climb ratio, (1 in 6), and blow up tyres for grass use etc. Also, it has a great fully sprung seat, and the whole lot fully collapses flat for storage........However, like most good things, there is a drawback. It's heavy. :(

scooter1.jpg
There came the rub. By stripping it, I could get it into the Berlingo, but then, on arriving at a destination, it had to be manhandled out, and built up at the kerbside, not ideal. The more I looked unto the problem, the more I realised that custom made vehicles were VERY expensive, because they are modified to have a sunken rear deck/floor, allowing a folding fixed loading ramp to be fitted, that could fold up as the rear door was closed. The ramps themselves can cost around £1,000........Not a sum of money I could even entertain at the moment.
The rear access on the Mk 1 Berlingo sits at something like 16" from the road, quite a high angle, but I was sure that if I could find alloy lightweight ramps, of the correct length, then The Scoot could negotiate the climb. Then, by folding two of the three rear seats, it should roll in nicely under it's own power, set on 'crawl'.
After trawling the web and ebay for an hour or two, I came up with all sorts of different ramps and allow sections, but most of them contained a center strength rib, no good for Mr Scoot, as he has narrow front wheels. Eventually, I found this.........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252111106866

A pair of single ramps, joined together in seconds by slip pins, with captive pins on chains to locate into holes drilled into the vehicle. Further more, each section is built like a suitcase, and folds together, with a carrying handle. Two sizes.....4 ft and 6 ft, with a considerable price difference. After much measuring and chalk marks on the road, I decided to take the risk on the cheaper 4 foot, reasoning that the ramps would clear the towball, and that the Scoot could climb the slope..........

ramp1.jpg

Arrived, ready to unpack. Locked into the folded position.

ramp5.jpg

Here are both sections ready to be slip-pinned together. Build quality of this product is 100%, and the manufacturers have gone the extra mile to eradicate sharp edges etc.
ramp2.jpg

Both sections now joined together. It seems like the risk I took in ordering the 4 ft product was justified.
After positioning, I drilled two 10 mm holes through the pre-made holes in the ramps, and into the rear cross member of the truck. Two spring ball pins, chained, provide adequate security for loading/unloading.
ramp3.jpg

STAND BY FOR TAKE OFF! Mr Scoot climbing, (with ease), the ramps. So easy by using the crawl feature and the hand control. The Supa Scoota is fitted with an electro-magnetic brake system. Once the power is off, the rear wheels lock.
ramp4.jpg

Loaded and ready to go. The Berlingo's are fitted with sturdy floor clamps, and by using a single tie down 'ribbon', the load stays solid. Seconds to fold and load the alloy ramps, (12 lb each). Plus, plenty of room for the weekly shop left over.......Once I clear my crap out of the back! And, the hound still has her single rear seat and belt support.

4ft Ramps - With permanent silver grip finish
Folded Length of each part - 63cm / 24.8"
Folded Width of each part - 36cm /14"
Folded Depth of each part - 13cm /5"
Length assembled - 122cm / 4ft
Width Assembled - 74cm / 29.5"
Depth Assembled - 8cm / 3.1"
Total Weight - 11kg / 24lbs (both parts together) so each is only 5.5kg / 12lbs
Internal width of track - 66cm /26"
Box Size - 64cm x 40cm x 26cm

Heath Robinson?? Maybe, but, this system more then fills the criteria I was hoping to achive. And, it dosent end there. A single ramp would slide nicely into a M/H habitation door, for say loading bikes carried inside, or a full shopping trolley.
And, all for less then my £100 target. :)

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Whilst I’m very glad to read about your latest exploits, I feel that we may have been misled into your imminent demise and posted pages of fulsome eulogies :D
Seriously though, great you seem to be feeling better.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I feel that we may have been misled into your imminent demise
OUCH!! Really sorry for not shaking off my mortal coil on time! :Eeek:I just cant give in. I never will. Today's 'episode' took me four hours, where once the job would have been chop-chop 30 mins. And, I paid for the effort this afternoon. :(:( But that's not the point. I cant just sit around watching day time TV, in my comfy chair, awaiting the funny farm ambulance to arrive. Life for me dosent come with 'exceptions', its all or nothing.
And, if anyone feels I have 'misled' them, then tough. That was not my intention. o_O

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
OUCH!! Really sorry for not shaking off my mortal coil on time! :Eeek:I just cant give in. I never will. Today's 'episode' took me four hours, where once the job would have been chop-chop 30 mins. And, I paid for the effort this afternoon. :(:( But that's not the point. I cant just sit around watching day time TV, in my comfy chair, awaiting the funny farm ambulance to arrive. Life for me dosent come with 'exceptions', its all or nothing.
And, if anyone feels I have 'misled' them, then tough. That was not my intention. o_O
Sorry, no offence meant I’m obviously not cut out for a little banter and really please accept my apologies if you felt I meant something else.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, no offence meant I’m obviously not cut out for a little banter and really please accept my apologies if you felt I meant something else.
You dont have to apologise. Thats not what it's about. It's understanding that by bashing on, and refusing to accept the end product, by posting funny stiff, or things that might help others, then there lies a certain therapy. (y)
Plus, the new drugs are helping me to eat yummy bratwurst, donner kebabs, and chips again. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You dont have to apologise. Thats not what it's about. It's understanding that by bashing on, and refusing to accept the end product, by posting funny stiff, or things that might help others, then there lies a certain therapy. (y)
Plus, the new drugs are helping me to eat yummy bratwurst, donner kebabs, and chips again. :)
Well I do need to apologise as I meant to give you a smile in my post, talking just as I might to a friend in person in a jokey way. I really admire you for doing what you do and for the way you are tackling your illness.
I certainly didn’t mean to hurt you, that’s the last thing in my thoughts.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How many shopping trolleys have you nicked so far? :)

Are they part of your next project?
I meant like the old ladies shopping trolley (tartan, like yours), Jan............:)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Glad the appetite is back.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dave, you know the score, if you need use of anything and we can help, just say. got stacks of equipment here

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You just keep your self going @Tootles bud keep fighting it mate live every minute as it comes
Good luck bud
Bill

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
OUCH!! Really sorry for not shaking off my mortal coil on time!

Crackin job Toots, not disimilar to my attempts at three ramps to get my trike in the van, except I couldn't have done it for £100.

What is the total weight of the supa scooter?

@Riverbankannie , don't be so daft, I was going to open up with "Christ Dave, are you still 'ere?"

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
TRUE CONFESSIONS.........Had one last night....Well, half a one.......Tell you what, the pastry has taken a dive from rank to rank-rank.

Not had one myself but by all accounts the pastry is the pie as in no meat.

Obviously there are certain people on here that rate them along side the likes of food served in a 5 star restaurant

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
@Tootles is a sod

He mentions donner kebabs and now all I can think of is donner kebabs ( with no salad and extra chilli sauce)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ive got a souped up mobility scooter in the shed. 15mph and enough tourqe to do wheelspins in gravel. wouldnt fit in a berlingo though

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Need this played LOUD as you deploy Tootlesbird down the launchpad bud(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Tootles looks a good job.

Can I ask are the ramps fixed into the back of the car or you remove them to fold up.
If you remove I was thinking if you could run a steel rod through the front of the ramps from side to side. You could then put a bracket over each end then just fold the ramps up into the back of the car. Presuming that the ramps when folded will fit in height wise.

Just a thought that might make life a bit easier (y)

If not just ignore my ramblings :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Don't show this to Ali Dave but I reckon with a bit of imagination we could get you an advantage in the supermarket.

See Here....

Tank.jpg

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can I ask are the ramps fixed into the back of the car or you remove them to fold up
I fold them up. I thought about the swivel idea, but to be honest, its beyond me at the moment, manpower wise that is. Thanks anyway. (y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have decided to set myself some self-help projects, useful additions to motorhoming or just day to day general aids. The criteria being 1. The job mustn't be too 'heavy', and something I can carry out on my own. 2. The cost for all materials must be under £100.
My car is a Mk1 Citroen Berlingo Desire, (the glass roof and roof and roof locker model), 1.9 diesel. At the Malvern show last year, Ali bought me a SupaScoota XL mobility scooter. It was the one I had researched, and hankered over, because it's built like a tank, and both rear wheels are driven independently, giving it a great climb ratio, (1 in 6), and blow up tyres for grass use etc. Also, it has a great fully sprung seat, and the whole lot fully collapses flat for storage........However, like most good things, there is a drawback. It's heavy. :(

View attachment 208404 There came the rub. By stripping it, I could get it into the Berlingo, but then, on arriving at a destination, it had to be manhandled out, and built up at the kerbside, not ideal. The more I looked unto the problem, the more I realised that custom made vehicles were VERY expensive, because they are modified to have a sunken rear deck/floor, allowing a folding fixed loading ramp to be fitted, that could fold up as the rear door was closed. The ramps themselves can cost around £1,000........Not a sum of money I could even entertain at the moment.
The rear access on the Mk 1 Berlingo sits at something like 16" from the road, quite a high angle, but I was sure that if I could find alloy lightweight ramps, of the correct length, then The Scoot could negotiate the climb. Then, by folding two of the three rear seats, it should roll in nicely under it's own power, set on 'crawl'.
After trawling the web and ebay for an hour or two, I came up with all sorts of different ramps and allow sections, but most of them contained a center strength rib, no good for Mr Scoot, as he has narrow front wheels. Eventually, I found this.........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252111106866

A pair of single ramps, joined together in seconds by slip pins, with captive pins on chains to locate into holes drilled into the vehicle. Further more, each section is built like a suitcase, and folds together, with a carrying handle. Two sizes.....4 ft and 6 ft, with a considerable price difference. After much measuring and chalk marks on the road, I decided to take the risk on the cheaper 4 foot, reasoning that the ramps would clear the towball, and that the Scoot could climb the slope..........

View attachment 208406

Arrived, ready to unpack. Locked into the folded position.

View attachment 208408

Here are both sections ready to be slip-pinned together. Build quality of this product is 100%, and the manufacturers have gone the extra mile to eradicate sharp edges etc.
View attachment 208409

Both sections now joined together. It seems like the risk I took in ordering the 4 ft product was justified.
After positioning, I drilled two 10 mm holes through the pre-made holes in the ramps, and into the rear cross member of the truck. Two spring ball pins, chained, provide adequate security for loading/unloading.
View attachment 208410
STAND BY FOR TAKE OFF! Mr Scoot climbing, (with ease), the ramps. So easy by using the crawl feature and the hand control. The Supa Scoota is fitted with an electro-magnetic brake system. Once the power is off, the rear wheels lock.
View attachment 208411
Loaded and ready to go. The Berlingo's are fitted with sturdy floor clamps, and by using a single tie down 'ribbon', the load stays solid. Seconds to fold and load the alloy ramps, (12 lb each). Plus, plenty of room for the weekly shop left over.......Once I clear my crap out of the back! And, the hound still has her single rear seat and belt support.

4ft Ramps - With permanent silver grip finish
Folded Length of each part - 63cm / 24.8"
Folded Width of each part - 36cm /14"
Folded Depth of each part - 13cm /5"
Length assembled - 122cm / 4ft
Width Assembled - 74cm / 29.5"
Depth Assembled - 8cm / 3.1"
Total Weight - 11kg / 24lbs (both parts together) so each is only 5.5kg / 12lbs
Internal width of track - 66cm /26"
Box Size - 64cm x 40cm x 26cm

Heath Robinson?? Maybe, but, this system more then fills the criteria I was hoping to achive. And, it dosent end there. A single ramp would slide nicely into a M/H habitation door, for say loading bikes carried inside, or a full shopping trolley.
And, all for less then my £100 target. :)
Top job toots, pleased to see you posting and looking forward to following your engineering skills put to good use (y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I fold them up. I thought about the swivel idea, but to be honest, its beyond me at the moment, manpower wise that is. Thanks anyway. (y)

Put it on the back burner till your back in the gym and pumping iron :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back