Problem with French issued pet passport. (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And? Ask yourself this, if dogs hadn't been vaccinated how many more cases there would be. Similar to childhood diseases, we rarely have outbreaks now but still vaccinate against them ... would you say that vaccinating kids shouldn't be done anymore because you haven't 'seen' anyone with them?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
And? Ask yourself this, if dogs hadn't been vaccinated how many more cases there would be. Similar to childhood diseases, we rarely have outbreaks now but still vaccinate against them ... would you say that vaccinating kids shouldn't be done anymore because you haven't 'seen' anyone with them?
Yes.

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
I came through the Tunnel this morning with Daisy.I handed over the new French Passport at Pet Reception and the extremely nice lady at the desk said this all looks fine but I do need to see either your AHC or the old passport to check the continuity of the rabies injections.I had a new 3 year rabies vaccination for Daisy at the Vets in Arras 2 weeks ago even though she had 18 months left on her UK passport. I think the transferring of rabies details from previous passport is perhaps not a good idea. Start with a clean sweep of French administered vaccine in the new French Passport.
Absolutely no mention of where I lived or where the dog lived.
I think this might have been because you were travelling only 2 weeks after the vaccination, so, if it had been Daisy's first vaccination, rather than a booster, you would have been travelling before the required 30 (or it might be 21 - can't remember 🙈) days that you need to wait after that first rabies vaccination. Obviously, the AHC or old passport would confirm that the French vaccination was a booster effectively, so no need to wait to travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, but the animal should reside in France part is the new requirement. I would like to know if this is an actual legal requirement or just a guideline - any way of finding out for us please?
I'm told that you can only legally have a passport for your pet if it's issued in the country of residence. This is from more than 1 vet here in France. As to whether this requirement is checked upon travel, I am not qualified to say. I do believe it's a legal requirement but also one that might not be enforced at the moment, hence my original reply.

We have changed ours over to French passports as we've moved to France.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I'm told that you can only legally have a passport for your pet if it's issued in the country of residence. This is from more than 1 vet here in France. As to whether this requirement is checked upon travel, I am not qualified to say. I do believe it's a legal requirement but also one that might not be enforced at the moment, hence my original reply.

We have changed ours over to French passports as we've moved to France.
I'm not sure if that's a requirement of the EU legislation or just the French interpretation of it. Many EU countries don't have national dog/cat databases, so difficult (? impossible) to tell if an animal is a "resident" or not.
Prior to the UK leaving the EU we were constantly seeing dogs with Eastern European passports, but the dogs were in the UK permanently with their EU owners. Similarly, loads of Balkan "rescue" dogs with Romanian etc passports, but now in the possession of UK residents. We were never asked, nor required to change these to UK passports. It wasn't an issue, and I suspect it isn't now an issue for most EU countries (France excepted).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm told that you can only legally have a passport for your pet if it's issued in the country of residence.
In that case, surely there has to be an actual law to that effect written down somewhere. Maybe a vet can provide a link to it?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm not sure if that's a requirement of the EU legislation or just the French interpretation of it. Many EU countries don't have national dog/cat databases, so difficult (? impossible) to tell if an animal is a "resident" or not.
Prior to the UK leaving the EU we were constantly seeing dogs with Eastern European passports, but the dogs were in the UK permanently with their EU owners. Similarly, loads of Balkan "rescue" dogs with Romanian etc passports, but now in the possession of UK residents. We were never asked, nor required to change these to UK passports. It wasn't an issue, and I suspect it isn't now an issue for most EU countries (France excepted).
I’m pretty sure it is not a requirement of EU legislation. No-one that I’ve asked has been able to provide evidence of the existence of such a law.

When we were still members of the EU it was not an EU requirement, as per the ‘How to complete Pet Passports’ booklet.

40422CA6-4B88-4A57-A737-991FE157068F.jpeg

The US government APHIS website states that the EU allows use of their pet passports by Americans.

16CE2245-BB17-4B48-9EC6-3E137082C294.jpeg

And even the EU’s own website states that third countries can use an EU pet passport instead of an AHC.

94A28EEF-F91C-4AE0-9CA5-6F0AF4951AA6.jpeg

So as I see it, there is far more evidence in favour of non-EU residents being able to use EU pet passports than against it.

If individual countries choose to make the actual issuing of pet passports subject to particular requirements, that is up to them. It does not make all EU pet passports issued to non-EU residents invalid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back