Pre wired for reversing camera? (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Anyone had any joy finding the 'pre wiring' in Sunlight/Carado motorhomes. Maybe same with hymer models.
Dealer wanted £600 for camera and said wouldn't use pre wired. Went to auto electrician and he wanted £350 for same system and again said he wouldn't use pre wires.
Seems a bit crazy. If I could find each end of the wires I would have a go myself as cash price for system was about £150. Dual camera system.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ignore the wires and run your own new ones? Did my own and ran at back of cupboards out of sight ?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt if a Carado is pre-wired my Hymer was pre wired but the lower market range ones aren't.
I found the wiring after I'd put my cables through, the cables cost me £25 if I had used the pre-wired cables it would have cost £80 for adaptors.
The factory fit cables in my van were at the rear behind the rear panel of the centre locker and in the front behind the left side front speaker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
My B544 was pre wired for the Waeco camera, I was lucky to get a full twin camera/7" display set up for less than half price, found the cable, and was a very easy install.
Otherwise I would have bought a cheaper make and run the cable myself.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I had my rear lockers apart for some speaker wiring the other day - so here's a picture.

I have two camera cables - the thick black ones in the picture - one for 'rear mirror view' and one for lower / closer view. There is also a red cable seen exiting through the rear wall - I guess that powers the lights that turn on next to the down facing camera.
IMG_3005.jpg

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Are the motorhome manufacturers fitting pre-wiring, using >4-pin connectors, for expensive kit providers like Waeco that have >4-pin sockets?
Where there'll be a big dealer mark up on Waeco accessories because they are several times more expensive than the cheaper kit, using predominantly 4-pin connectors?

I ask myself if I'm being too cynical.....

PS Not forgetting the cable adapter industry that recognises the bind and charges up to "£80" for the adaptors.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I doubt if a Carado is pre-wired my Hymer was pre wired but the lower market range ones aren't.
I found the wiring after I'd put my cables through, the cables cost me £25 if I had used the pre-wired cables it would have cost £80 for adaptors.
The factory fit cables in my van were at the rear behind the rear panel of the centre locker and in the front behind the left side front speaker.
Lenny. You are so cheeky with your view on our value Vans :giggle:

I've got you this time though as it is definitely pre wired using the finest wooden technology.

Seriously though it it, and the spec states it clearly. Therefore if you know how to use it on the Hymer you could use your extensive knowledge to tell me how to do it on the carado too.
I've got my drill at the ready

1614358416747.png

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
My B544 was pre wired for the Waeco camera, I was lucky to get a full twin camera/7" display set up for less than half price, found the cable, and was a very easy install.
Otherwise I would have bought a cheaper make and run the cable myself.
Hi. Where did you find the cables

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Are the motorhome manufacturers fitting pre-wiring, using >4-pin connectors, for expensive kit providers like Waeco that have >4-pin sockets?
Where there'll be a big dealer mark up on Waeco accessories because they are several times more expensive than the cheaper kit, using predominantly 4-pin connectors?

I ask myself if I'm being too cynical.....

PS Not forgetting the cable adapter industry that recognises the bind and charges up to "£80" for the adaptors.
Video and audio and be 4 pin if you want to power it as well its a Six pin mini din

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Lenny. You are so cheeky with your view on our value Vans :giggle:

I've got you this time though as it is definitely pre wired using the finest wooden technology.

Seriously though it it, and the spec states it clearly. Therefore if you know how to use it on the Hymer you could use your extensive knowledge to tell me how to do it on the carado too.
I've got my drill at the ready

View attachment 469210
Are you gonna tell him Lenny HB that that ain't a drill it's a brace that takes wood bits or will I? :whistle2: ;):giggle:

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
If the wires are for waeco cameras I can see why people re wire. Best part of a grand before fitting. Big clumsy monitor. We had one on our previous van that was factory fitted. It was ok but no great shakes. Very poor in the dark.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Any one on this wonderful forum who can tell me where to find the wires in a pre wired new motorhome from the hymer group. How about in the high level, brake light or in the dash somewhere

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Our Sunlight Cliff 600 came with pre-wiring as per the brochure. The camera works through the media player (Dealer fitted)......therefore, is it too simple to say one end is behind the dash where the media player goes, and the other behind the high level brake light where the camera is fitted?

Or do they hide it away?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our Sunlight Cliff 600 came with pre-wiring as per the brochure. The camera works through the media player (Dealer fitted)......therefore, is it too simple to say one end is behind the dash where the media player goes, and the other behind the high level brake light where the camera is fitted?

Or do they hide it away?
Yep should be.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Or do they hide it away?
Ok Thank you. I assume your media player is where the ...oops nearly said stereo, showing my age!!.....media player is, ie the middle of the dash.

I'll take a look there and also i'll take the high level brake lights off and have look there as well.

If I bough an android media player that has a camera input I might be able to get away with just buying the camera and powering it up from the feed that will (I assume) be prewired up to the brake light

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok Thank you. I assume your media player is where the ...oops nearly said stereo, showing my age!!.....media player is, ie the middle of the dash.
Catch up boy, it's a head unit. :LOL:

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Catch up boy, it's a head unit. :LOL:
HaHa. Yes. One step at a time. Which is the most modern, head unit or media player. I need to be down with the kids.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
HaHa. Yes. One step at a time. Which is the most modern, head unit or media player. I need to be down with the kids.
Did you find all the wiring locations? I’ve been in contact with someone picking up his new Sunlight Cliff 540 in May, and may need wiring connection locations. (y)

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Did you find all the wiring locations? I’ve been in contact with someone picking up his new Sunlight Cliff 540 in May, and may need wiring connection locations. (y)
I have to say I have been a bit lazy and not got around to it. I will rekindle my enthusiasm and have a look this weekend.

M J

Oct 4, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2014
When you find the cables take note of the connectors.
On my 534 DL Duomobile they are CAMOS. I think Road Pro sell Camos camera and monitors.
Converter cables are available for Alpine units but at £80 just run your own cables.hUQgBu+4Szi8UKkYI9WFyA.jpg

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well I had a moderately energetic search for the elusive cables. Cant see anything in the cupboards at the rear of the van nor the wardrobes. Cant see any panels to remove and looking at the profile of the cupboard backs compared to the shape of the van cant think they could be there.

Went outside and looked at the high level brake light. It has no screws and fits flush with the bar to which the bike rack attaches. I tried to unclip it (there must be a way to change the leds) but it wasnt for coming off easily that's for sure.

My enthusiasm duly waned further when it started raining so the elusive pre wiring remains un found.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Well I had a moderately energetic search for the elusive cables. Cant see anything in the cupboards at the rear of the van nor the wardrobes. Cant see any panels to remove and looking at the profile of the cupboard backs compared to the shape of the van cant think they could be there.

Went outside and looked at the high level brake light. It has no screws and fits flush with the bar to which the bike rack attaches. I tried to unclip it (there must be a way to change the leds) but it wasnt for coming off easily that's for sure.

My enthusiasm duly waned further when it started raining so the elusive pre wiring remains un found.
You know this will get under your skin, cause you to lose sleep and spoil your life in general? ;)

Valiant attempt…..(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our Hymer wiring was for Camos cameras (4 pin screw connectors )😊
Strange we have the same van ours has Waco connectors, found the cables after I'd run my own. not too bad, adaptors for the Waco £80 my new cables £25.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back