Possible insurance against damage waiver loss? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My window cleaner was planning to hire a m/h for two weeks with his wife and two girls.
He said to hire one would cost about £800 a week but although they are not an irresponsible family he was concerned at the risk of losing the obligatory damage deposit of £1100 at the 'whim' of the hirer's observation when it was returned.
I suggested that it might be possible to insure against that for say £150 for the two weeks use since it would at least be a fixed and known manageable extra cost for his holiday.
Has anyone any experience of doing that?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i dont recall who i used but took out a 12 month hire insurance policy to cover accidental damage a couple of years ago. I had to hire various cars over the year and it was a lot cheaper than the hire company's additional insurance

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
oh and when hiring any vehicle take loads of photos before signing and again when returning the vehicle and make sure the hire company know you are doing so

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am about to hire a car in Tenerife and was googling cost of excess insurance , for a car it was from £2.99 per day. Excess with some hire companies was £790 so for me well worth the extra for peace of mind.
If a problem when returning vehicle you pay the excess then claim it back.
Worth a string of detailed photos before and after hire to avoid being stitched up.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks @TheBig1 . Yes, I advised him to take lots of photos.
I didn't suggest borrowing mine even though I'm not precious about it. He's a lovely chap whom I've known for 10 years or more and he would want it in school summer hols when I never travel.
However, over the years I've occasionally been a generous and kind sort of guy to others for all manner of things but which (mostly through no fault of theirs) have too often resulted in hassle or come back to bite me on the bum.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks @TheBig1
However, over the years I've occasionally been a generous and kind sort of guy to others for all manner of things but which (mostly through no fault of theirs) have too often resulted in hassle or come back to bite me on the bum.

That happens to us as well. Generally if I don't know the person asking I will say that the equipment is with my son / daughter / niece which saves embarrassment all round. If the person is a friend I offer to go and help with the job rather than lend out. I've lost so much stuff over the years - either never returned or come back damaged or only part has come back I am now wary.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly certain you can't get it for Motorhomes. Before buying a van we hired a couple of times in Germany I couldn't get any CDW.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back