Stubear

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
stockport
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Is anyone using a plug in portable air con unit in their van when on hook up - what are pros and cons of carrying such a unit apart from the weight and any recommendations

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 7000 bthu in my workshop. Heavy, and expensive to run. Also, it does not recirculate. It takes in the hot air, cools it, and then blasts hot air out the vent so there has to be an outside air inlet point for it to work.
Wouldn't be without it though...šŸ˜

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Using this that I recently purchased from a funster . Itā€™s a split unit and runs at 450w so I can power it for a small amount of time off grid .
The second picture is the full size portable we used last year and vented the hose out of the from cab window .
11003BD4-E470-4924-89EE-111B5ADB9F70.jpeg
B58BF74C-A1BA-4C28-AEF8-26170B670A4A.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
The ones with the hoses are poor to just about adequate (unless they have *two* hoses). The one hose ones blow hot air outside through the hose, but of course that means new (fairly hot) air from outside needs to come in to replace the air that goes out through the hose. They will never things truly cool, just take the edge off.

Split unit portables are much more effective, but hard to come by. I have a Remko unit for home, but it is too big/heavy for the van.

I do like the look of the small split unit that Swifter has... Anyone know where you can buy those from?

cheers,

Robin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Cool My Camper is manufactured by Eurom, they sell under their own name so look that up too. Ā£524 on ebay.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Using this that I recently purchased from a funster . Itā€™s a split unit and runs at 450w so I can power it for a small amount of time off grid .
The second picture is the full size portable we used last year and vented the hose out of the from cab window . View attachment 630890View attachment 630891
How long would this unit run off grid with say 2x80ah gels (or 200ah lithiumšŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰) and 300w of solar, roughly anyone??

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think I worked out it was about 3-4 hours on one 100ah lithium . Since you would only use it on a nice sunny day then presumably you would be topping up well with solar .

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Cool My Camper is manufactured by Eurom, they sell under their own name so look that up too. Ā£524 on ebay.

I have one of these and, whilst it wonā€™t get the interior feeling ice cold, it makes a noticeable difference and has enabled us to enjoy the interior in the south of France mid summer. Itā€™s relatively quiet (asked various campers if an issue and never had a negative response) and has a built in timer for auto switch-off. One thing to be aware of, itā€™s possible to set up on your own but itā€™s a pain and I know people who couldnā€™t do it. Two people about a 5 mins job.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Been sweating in 35' heat for a while now. 39 yesterday. Problem is we've had to go from wild camping to campsites to get shade and pool access and hookup that we never usually use. Parking in the shade kills solar obviously and high ambient temperature and doors open keeps the van hot. Compressor fridge working well, I've cream solid and beers cold, but it's working hard.
A fan overnight is ok but can see the benefits of ac but really would need hookup.

No mention of theĀ£30 Amazon ones with great reviews lol lol. If only

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks for the links - the ebay price looks more attractive, but it comes from Germany, which means I think you will get stung for UK VAT and probably charges on delivery (price is over Ā£135), although this is not entirely clear. In theory you should be able to buy from the EU seller without paying EU VAT and then pay the UK VAT (I think)... What a mess... :)

cheers,

Robin

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the links - the ebay price looks more attractive, but it comes from Germany, which means I think you will get stung for UK VAT and probably charges on delivery (price is over Ā£135), although this is not entirely clear. In theory you should be able to buy from the EU seller without paying EU VAT and then pay the UK VAT (I think)... What a mess... :)

cheers,

Robin
With say 200ah of lithium and solar ,you could use the small air conditioning unit a few times during the day and put it on the low setting at night . Iā€™ve not checked the lower power consumption figures . I presume the 450w rating is for full power . As previously mentioned this unit wonā€™t get the inside like a freezer but it will get you a lot more comfortable and bring the temperature down significantly.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

cheers,

Robin
Buy one when next in the EU?
Ask a fellow funster to buy one for you?

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017

cheers,

Robin
I bought mine direct from Germany off eBay and only paid the price stated. Obviously I may have been lucky but that was my experience.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We used a top quality Italian be in our first motorhome 20 years ago. Hose was a pain but worth the extra weight.

I installed an under bench one in our current motorhome.

Lightweight
Quiet
Efficient
Low power consumption
Can be used on the move

Pipes mostly hidden
680895B1-0AC4-4D6B-840A-C6D16AC78C19.jpeg
08623680-8EDA-45FC-B98B-78BFED4B7059.jpeg
424D7457-6206-4BB7-A854-D4913E190255.jpeg
AFA3D1D7-AD4E-4E76-8B18-B1F050AA258D.jpeg
674A1DA6-1486-4BC3-BEFD-01D5EE5BD5A7.jpeg
9893408A-E292-4906-966A-CDB2EF61FDEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
We used a top quality Italian be in our first motorhome 20 years ago. Hose was a pain but worth the extra weight.

I installed an under bench one in our current motorhome.

Lightweight
Quiet
Efficient
Low power consumption
Can be used on the move

Pipes mostly hidden View attachment 631884View attachment 631885View attachment 631886View attachment 631887View attachment 631888View attachment 631889
I've got a similar unit in the garage still in the box , a dometic under bench

How do you find the cooling , my van doesn't have cab AC so I was thinking of having it running through an inverter while driving as well as when on site

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I've got a similar unit in the garage still in the box , a dometic under bench

How do you find the cooling , my van doesn't have cab AC so I was thinking of having it running through an inverter while driving as well as when on site
When itā€™s parked up, blinds closed. Works a treat. Even during summer heat in Italy & Switzerland.

But on the move, itā€™s not as good as other units have worked. But itā€™s mainly the way the vents are biased towards habitation.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was hoping this would be enough to power the AC on the move as it's got a pure sine wave inverter built in but we shall see

Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 11-43-49 2000W Solar Power Station Portable Generator Charger Emergen...png

Djenks

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Prestbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t 564
Exp
I recently bought a new Eurom AC2401 unit online from a dealer in mainland Europe (KIIP). It arrived well packed within 3 days of order and cost a total Ā£470 (including packing, shipping, etc) which is considerably cheaper than I could find in the UK. It is heavier than it looks but it works very well.

westfielder

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
Lechlade
Funster No
MH
McLouis 331
Exp
2016 Onwards
A couple of years ago we were heading off to the smooth roads over the water. The forecast said 36c where we were going. Panic because we were taking a dog too. Went on ebay and bought a secondhand domestic portable unit. Made a 5" hole in a piece of ply that was the same size as our roof vent. Cut the ply down the middle. Strapped the AC unit to back of one of the seats and then when parked poked the big extractor tube out of the roof vent and used the ply to clamp it in place and stop return of warm air. (used on hook up only)
It worked a treat. Les Francais thought we were mad - even they were wilting outside their Mohos and in the extreme heat of the day we were inside with all the doors and windows shut - they couldn't figure it out.

We did:
1. Use blinds as much as poss to keep the heat out
2. Strategically place moho to reduce sun effects
3. Wait a while after driving to let gasses settle in the unit

Do remember that these units aren't as good in the home or in a moho as you would expect. You switch them on and get blasts of cold air and think that your room will cool really quickly. BUT we worked out why it takes much longer than you expect. There's 2 main reasons:

1. Laws of themodynamics. The air in a room or MoHo weighs very little compared to the furniture and walls etc.. If the furtniture is warm then as soon as you turn off the aircon it will warm up the air very quickly and so you have to leave the aircon on.

2. There's a flaw with the design of the units. They blow masses of hot air outside as well as cold air inside.... great, but where did all the air that ends up outside start out? It must have been in the room/moho with the unit. Therefore must have been drawn in from outside - yes all the warm air you are trying to avoid. Unless they have an in and out pipe from outside they will always be inefficient unless the heat exchanger is on the outside of the vehicle.

Would I recommend this?
For Ā£50 - absolutely

:cool:

Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Has anyone tried the little unit from totalcool (totalcool.co.uk)?

It looks more like a suped up fan than an aircon unit. You fill it with water or ice and it can run from battery or mains. It's around Ā£350 and says it's effective up to 7 meters. Looks like it might be useful for those one off hot moments we occassionally get in the UK.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Has anyone tried the little unit from totalcool (totalcool.co.uk)?

It looks more like a suped up fan than an aircon unit. You fill it with water or ice and it can run from battery or mains. It's around Ā£350 and says it's effective up to 7 meters. Looks like it might be useful for those one off hot moments we occassionally get in the UK.
Swamp cooler . Utter waste of time and very overpriced .

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just so I can understand this. You spend all year working and looking forward to a nice hot sunny holiday. But then choose to sit inside a motorhome with all the doors and windows shut listening to a ac unit buzzing away. Mmmm not for me. I like being outside and get acclimatised to the weather, so even when driving will have window open instead of ac on.

westfielder

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
Lechlade
Funster No
MH
McLouis 331
Exp
2016 Onwards
I'm Ginger! when it's too hot, it's too hot.... and the dog was suffering - as I said, it was only in the extreme heat of the day. 30c and yes I'll sit in the shade, 36c and and I can't cope.
20c and I'm as happy as a pig in doodoo ;-) SWMBO likes it hot though - she's in your camp.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hahahaha. Iā€™m ginger too, but just donā€™t like the hot, outside, cold inside thing. I just prefer to adjust to the temp and deal with it, and think the same for my dog. Otherwise Iā€™m trying to adjust each time I go out, or in.

Iā€™m not having ā€œa goā€. Each to their own. Iā€™m just not an ac person.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Working in the Oman at a very hot concrete airfield, I found it better to avoid the aircon, used to sit under the aircraft fuselage as the constant desert breeze and the shade helped. Used to constantly drink water but never felt sweaty. The water was just blowing away from me. Going in and out of the aircon seemed to make you more prone to heatstroke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back