Popit Mobile Unrestricted EU Roaming (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking.
I use a Huawei 4G MiFi with Popit sim , it worked fine in Spain and France with ITVx and all the mainstream channels without a VPN
Thanks Neil, I note there was a Huawei around £60 that had good reviews and some around £25 -£29 with bad reviews. What is your recommendation model ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi, I was looking at getting a large Sat Dish for south of France ( we have not been over for a number of years ) Reading forums again about travelling abroad I realise that technology has moved on and also many sites have WiFi. However, many will not. I have to admit I have never used a personal hotspot so I have some questions. I have a Firestick and it has built in VPN. It has worked great before when abroad and I have had acess to wifi. ( i.e when self catering ) So reading this thread I am thinking of using a spare phone ( although that would be an older android ) or a mobile MiFi ( which I have just learned about. ). Can I ask is the set up process once you insert the popit sim card to the phone quite simple. i.e would the device I am using with the sim come up as an option when setting up the Firestick and then insert the password from the personal hotspot. ( I have an app I watch on my firestick to see all TV channels I want that has it's own password etc. I guess though that will just work as normal once it has a WiFi connection. Ray

I use it on my iPhone so when I switch the hotspot on the firestick finds all WiFi in range, you just select the correct one and put in password on initial use and it should work. Sometimes it doesn’t appear so you just do a scan on the firestick and it will find it in seconds, as for the sim it might have to be activated in U.K. before going away so just check that.

Apr 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking.
I use it on my iPhone so when I switch the hotspot on the firestick finds all WiFi in range, you just select the correct one and put in password on initial use and it should work. Sometimes it doesn’t appear so you just do a scan on the firestick and it will find it in seconds, as for the sim it might have to be activated in U.K. before going away so just check that.
Excellent . thank you very much.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
PoPit brilliant to deal with , good coverage everywhere . And no long term contract month to month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I've ported my number to popit and now use it as my everyday Sim. I was paying £14 a month on Three and £18 a month for 30GB on popit, BUT I get to roam in eu without a £2 a day charge and unfair "fair use" restrictions. So the extra cost is well worth it to me.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Does your MiFi have to be 5G. or do the 4G work with the Popit sim ?
My Huawei is about 5 years old now, and is only 4g. However it started to drop out and the app is no longer available, so it was difficult to reset. I therefore installed the Popit sim into the second slot in my mobile phone and used tethering. Everything worked fine, so I have no plans to invest in another mifi.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I think basically what it means is that you can't get a sim and leave it dormant in the UK then go to France and hammer the data then come back to the UK and cancel it, the T&C's say that it is basically a UK sim so the majority of your roaming has to be in the UK but they don't give exact details to calculate it other than showing you your compliance status in the app.

I have/had 100gb sim in a MH wifi router and used in for a few months in the UK consuming decent amounts of data before using it in the EU, back home a month and not used it so I have knocked it down to 30gb but my roaming compliance is 100% in the green.

I put Jens phone onto 1gb data about a month before we went away and she used about 80% of that while abroad but nothing before, since being home for a couple of months now she has not used much data (not using the translation app) and her compliance is currently at 26% and in the red, it would seem that you have to actually use the data at home rather than just paying for it.
I use all my data in the EU then switch over to £1/month. When in the UK. I have a separate Three contract for regular mobile phone usage.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use all my data in the EU then switch over to £1/month. When in the UK. I have a separate Three contract for regular mobile phone usage.
Don't you have to be 100% roaming compliant to go to £1 per month ?

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Don't you have to be 100% roaming compliant to go to £1 per month ?
Yes that's correct. However I think I only need to use 1g in the UK.
I didn't think that I used any data at all in the UK this year, so I am slightly confused 😕
But I switched over to £1/month whilst I was still in France without issues.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes that's correct. However I think I only need to use 1g in the UK.
I didn't think that I used any data at all in the UK this year, so I am slightly confused 😕
But I switched over to £1/month whilst I was still in France without issues.
Maybe you have found a glitch in their software 😉 keep doing what you are doing.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Why not just cancel your three contract and use your Popit sim as your everyday one? That’s what I have done. The service in the uk is excellent and has 5g almost everywhere I go. I also consider it as supporting Popit in the hope they can continue to offer the same (roaming) terms.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Why not just cancel your three contract and use your Popit sim as your everyday one? That’s what I have done. The service in the uk is excellent and has 5g almost everywhere I go. I also consider it as supporting Popit in the hope they can continue to offer the same (roaming) terms.
We have just done the same with our Vodafone sims.
Our plan is to spend more time in Europe and using two Poppit sims was cheaper than paying Vodafone’s roaming charges.
It seemed silly paying Vodafone when using Poppit sims.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I changed to popit about 2 years ago, largely as my small protest about the networks lying when they said “ no we won’t introduce roaming charges”
An excellent company who actually respond to your queries.
The only countries I couldn’t use Popit were Serbia and Turkey.
Use it in both our phones in the UK as well, to support them.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I am already thinking of that. Every time I try to leave Three they come up with a good offer. However I do agree with you and would like to support Popit. So that's my plan 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back