Poor service from dealers (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sometimes with the best will in the world, ordered parts are not forthcoming and this makes people who may have just paid huge sums of money for their vans, rightfully very cross and wanting to tear strips off dealers. I know there are rogue dealers out there who, once you have collected your van, do not really care what you do. However, talking to a couple of parts departments at large dealers, the faults often fall on the manufacturers who can deliver ordered parts weeks, if not months after being applied for.
I suppose some parts are temporarily out of production, or like in this country, delayed by lockdowns or illnesses.
Following on from this there are UK dealers who gain poor reports when the problems are out of their hands.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It doubles the delays and adds customer frustration and wasted trips when the dealer's After Sales Service (an oxymoron if ever there was one) orders the wrong parts.

The impression I get is that the industry doesn't invest enough in after-sales support for customers because it is an irritating expense, not a revenue-producing activity. As a consequence that service appears to be a bit of a Cinderella and has fallen behind the booming sales side.

I don't understand this mentality. Surely every business knows it is more expensive to find new customers than repeat customers. That is basic Marketing 1.01.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It doubles the delays and adds customer frustration and wasted trips when the dealer's After Sales Service (an oxymoron if ever there was one) orders the wrong parts.

The impression I get is that the industry doesn't invest enough in after-sales support for customers because it is an irritating expense, not a revenue-producing activity. As a consequence that service appears to be a bit of a Cinderella and has fallen behind the booming sales side.

I don't understand this mentality. Surely every business knows it is more expensive to find new customers than repeat customers. That is basic Marketing 1.01.
It's more than that. If you purchase anything that proves to be fault-free and reliable the seller has no opportunity to form a relationship or to demonstrate customer service and competence. On the other hand a failure, fault, or parts order dealt with promptly and efficiently with regular updates if there's a delay further up the supply chain will enhance reputation, generate good reviews, and almost guarantee future business from a returning customer. A complaint well-handled is powerful and cheap advertising.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I drew attention to this issue after delays of parts at Brownhills. After investigating the problems, in every case the delay was from the manufacturer of my van. They often take six or more weeks for parts to be delivered, in my case even longer for a small decal. Ironically they ordered me a part to be sent to my home which arrived after three days. I should add that the support, help and advice given by their parts department went beyond expectations.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I often find the parts dept very helpful and informative at lowdhams, compared to the service dept which is beyond inept!, They ordered a bedroom blind for me under warranty, took months to arrive, called me in to get it fitted, kept the van for about a week..........when i picked it up they had replaced the wrong blind (the perfect one) and to top it off it was the wrong colour, leaving me with a dodgy one on one side and a brand new different coloured one on the other side......................................unbelievable but true

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I often find the parts dept very helpful and informative at lowdhams, compared to the service dept which is beyond inept!, They ordered a bedroom blind for me under warranty, took months to arrive, called me in to get it fitted, kept the van for about a week..........when i picked it up they had replaced the wrong blind (the perfect one) and to top it off it was the wrong colour, leaving me with a dodgy one on one side and a brand new different coloured one on the other side......................................unbelievable but true
Sounds a complete nightmare. :unsure:

But, unfortunately, the sort of thing not unheard of.... :(

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would agree, the workshops side let me down. The sales was great, courteous, polite, quick and efficient.

The after sales and warranty issues were awful!

I won’t ever go back again so it is false economy for the dealers. I accept things go wrong, I won’t accept returning 6 times for the same fault to be fixed whilst being told there is nothing wrong.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had the CV impact for our Carthago which was due to go in at the beginning of October for some warranty stuff and hab check, unfortunately it needs a new hob but they were having difficulty at first with Carthago trying to get the claim approved due to staff shortages and then getting the hob itself so we had to change our visit to late November which has turned out to be a good thing as hubby noticed a week ago that the paint on the hab door surround has started to flake at the bottom (where the rain runs down and sits) so can't have been done correctly when it was originally produced so this has now been added to the list and been approved for correction.

They have received the hob so we're good to go, this is the list of work so far:

- Water pump/fresh water issue
- Install new hob
- Replace front USB side socket which is broken
- Passenger door sticks/clunks
- Hab door surround paint coming off
- Habitation service

Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie!
After only five years caravanning and now motorhoming we have resigned ourselves to the fact that it's the 'leisure industry' and, even in times when Covid can't be blamed, the dealers (three local ones that we've experienced) seem to be slow and inefficient - and lay the blame at the door of the manufacturers. Lead times for getting parts, and then getting work booked in, are beyond belief. The whole industry needs a thorough shake up - would probably only take one or two of the big players to step up to the game and invest a little more in customer service to pull business away from the rest... but it's fragmented so unlikely to happen for the foreseeable.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Unlike the car industry where competition for both volume sales and repeat business is considered really important the motorhome manufactures know that volume is a non starter and repeat business is rarely frequent so have no need to provide a service capable of getting any failure rectified promptly.
The parts required to build new vehicles are ordered in to satisfy the order book rather than the warranty requirements and therefore although they may have the part needed it would stop the completion of an order.
Add special order low volume parts into the equation and you can end up waiting months.
I believe this also encourages the dealers to be less likely to take on work for customers who bought elsewhere as the potential grief is not worth the hassle

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Send them a bill for your wasted time and expense

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We've had the CV impact for our Carthago which was due to go in at the beginning of October for some warranty stuff and hab check, unfortunately it needs a new hob but they were having difficulty at first with Carthago trying to get the claim approved due to staff shortages and then getting the hob itself so we had to change our visit to late November which has turned out to be a good thing as hubby noticed a week ago that the paint on the hab door surround has started to flake at the bottom (where the rain runs down and sits) so can't have been done correctly when it was originally produced so this has now been added to the list and been approved for correction.

They have received the hob so we're good to go, this is the list of work so far:

- Water pump/fresh water issue
- Install new hob
- Replace front USB side socket which is broken
- Passenger door sticks/clunks
- Hab door surround paint coming off
- Habitation service
Blimey So it’s not only Autotrails that have build problems :LOL:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had so many issues with my QUALITY Carthago I now call it the shed. You expect problems but Carthago treat all customers like idiots and trying to get them to authorise warranty work is a nightmare. All my problems have been sorted professionally by a local one man motorhome converter. To much hassle taking it back to the cowboys we purchased it from.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
We have had excellent service from Premium Motorhomes in Bawtry. Few small snags sorted and a couple of parts ordered from Weinberg with no problem. Service Dept has been very helpful. Given current problems both here and in Germany I have been impressed with their positive approach.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Blimey So it’s not only Autotrails that have build problems :LOL:
They're not build problems as that is excellent:
  • Water pump/fresh water issue - just one of those things that can play up in any MH, it may be a small air hole in the pipe from the tank or something else, so they can have a shuftie.

• Install new hob - it's the hob that's at fault as it's not totally flat thus not manufactured correctly by Dometic; it moves fore/aft when lifting the lids up/down but I don't remember this happening when we first saw it so I assume because it's 'warped' it was only just holding in place and using it 'properly' has been too much for the small amount of grip it had on the worktop.

• Replace front USB side socket which is broken - it's the part that the issue not where it's installed, all that's wrong is the small oblong piece of plastic inside the socket which helps to hold the lead in which is missing so it can still be used but obviously can drop out which is how we realised the problem.

• Passenger door sticks/clunks - probably just some minor adjustment needed, it doesn't stop it being used and I wouldn't make a special trip back for it.

• Hab door surround paint coming off - I assume this is down to whoever they source the part from as I don't think they make them themselves and has only now become apparent.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

• Passenger door sticks/clunks - probably just some minor adjustment needed, it doesn't stop it being used and I wouldn't make a special trip back for it.

• Hab door surround paint coming off - I assume this is down to whoever they source the part from as I don't think they make them themselves and has only now become apparent.
Or bad fitting/spraying by convertor.... either way not good for a premium motorhome, hope its soon sorted

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
  • Water pump/fresh water issue - just one of those things that can play up in any MH, it may be a small air hole in the pipe from the tank or something else, so they can have a shuftie.

• Install new hob - it's the hob that's at fault as it's not totally flat thus not manufactured correctly by Dometic; it moves fore/aft when lifting the lids up/down but I don't remember this happening when we first saw it so I assume because it's 'warped' it was only just holding in place and using it 'properly' has been too much for the small amount of grip it had on the worktop.

• Replace front USB side socket which is broken - it's the part that the issue not where it's installed, all that's wrong is the small oblong piece of plastic inside the socket which helps to hold the lead in which is missing so it can still be used but obviously can drop out which is how we realised the problem.

Surely they are all build problems

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Surely they are all build problems
Eh? Build problem related to MHs to me usually means the structure and ancillaries produced/made by Carthago 'in house' not the parts which have failed made by other manufacturers.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Understand where you are coming from rosalan but to be told they had sent the wrong part then to wait for weeks for delivery, of the wrong part, makes me wonder if they sent the right part back. John has been in contact by what's app as not answering the phone, not much response from the whats app either now. He is being very patient I am getting really annoyed.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Go to Johns Cross. Very good at customer coms.
They tell you exactly where the part is in the delivery chain

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Eh? Build problem related to MHs to me usually means the structure and ancillaries produced/made by Carthago 'in house' not the parts which have failed made by other manufacturers.
I've heard a few moans about Carthago and Warranty delays even pre CV but nice to see you defending your manufacturer (assembler) of choice .👍

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Understand where you are coming from rosalan but to be told they had sent the wrong part then to wait for weeks for delivery, of the wrong part, makes me wonder if they sent the right part back. John has been in contact by what's app as not answering the phone, not much response from the whats app either now. He is being very patient I am getting really annoyed.
I really do understand your position Sue, I just wanted to put a counter view when appropriate as and when I find it to be. After reading for years negative views of some dealers, almost by accident we bought our Motorhome from a one time prime target for venom. To our relief we have had exemplar service and support and felt the need to pass our experiences on. Be patient, happy and keep healthy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've heard a few moans about Carthago and Warranty delays even pre CV but nice to see you defending your manufacturer (assembler) of choice .👍
For the latest claim for the door frame, I told my dealer about it on 19th October and on 29th October I got confirmation that they had accepted the claim, can't knock that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Eh,10 days to approve a warranty claim they must be snowed under:rolleyes:
That's depending on when the dealer actually submitted it of course ... it was 10 days in total.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Reading all these stories about build quality and after service on MoHo i am beginning to wonder at the wisdom now of buying.
To date, only 3 months, other than have a awning fitted i have not had any dealings with "aftercare".
I am beginning to look at my Autotrail Imala as a Skoda of old. How we laughed at them years ago.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
How I really feel for anyone who has laid out serious money and expected ( correctly) a perfect product!!!
We have almost never been in that position------ all our motorhomes have been bought privately (bar one fifth wheel) and we always expect problems---- why did previous owner sell???
So we have always been pleasantly surprised with any petty issues😊😊
Our latest van came complete with an internal waterfall from a recently fitted skylight🥵🥵---- but I just waited until the rain stopped and fixed it---- fortunately no damage inside!!!!
The van wasn't cheap----there is no such thing in Portugal!
But if we had spent £90k🐖🐖🥶🥶😱😱😰😰😭😭

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back