Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi OddSocks

As others have suggested this is about as good as it will get.

Power out = power in less efficiency, the power in is the fuel the power out is engine efficiency (which you cant alter) and the efficiency of pushing a brick through air at 60mph.

Slow down a bit and the efficiency and therefore mpg will improve.

Other than that, only drive down hills.

Martin

Grannyvan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Pop top
Exp
Newbie Solo
Improve mpg

This is one of the reasons I changed my 1995 Autosleeper Clubman for the 2010 pop top I have now. It is my only vehicle. I average 40mpg combined BUT I miss the storage of the coach built. :Sad: Compromise worth making? Not sure after only 3 weeks.
:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Other than a well maintained vehicle.. including correct tyre pressures.. I would suggest that driving style is biggest factor in what MPG you can achieve..

Not the top or cruising speed .. but by reading the road ahead, slowing down naturally rather than braking.. accelerating gently .. timing at roundabouts so that you don't need to stop.. same at traffic lights and give way junctions.. every time you brake you are throwing pound notes out the window.. every time you accelerate harshly.. same result..

To achieve this takes a lot of practice .. I was taught to do this by imagining a glass of water is sitting on the dashboard.. drive without spilling it .. !

My Honda CRV MPG can be as low as 25 .. or as high as 30+ ..
Simply by driving sympathetically I get another 5 mpg .. no harsh braking or accelerating and by anticipating the road ahead... dropping top cruising speed by as little as 5 mph can also have a dramatic effect.

Cruise control can also drink juice when the controller tries to maintain the same speed going up steep gradients where a prudent driver would ease back rather than flooring it.

Another cheap fuel saver is a tennis ball... put it under the accelerator pedal.. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
I have give up checking it now :Doh:
My car is being run as close to bangernomics as possible so I keep a spreadsheet of all costs including fuel. Our motorhome gets no spreadsheet at all for ANY costs because we use it for FUN! But because I am nerdy in these things, I know it does about 10l/100km which is around 25mpg. So not that much better than the OP's old Benz.

Other than a well maintained vehicle.. including correct tyre pressures.. I would suggest that driving style is biggest factor in what MPG you can achieve..

Not the top or cruising speed .. but by reading the road ahead, slowing down naturally rather than braking.. accelerating gently .. timing at roundabouts so that you don't need to stop.. same at traffic lights and give way junctions.. every time you brake you are throwing pound notes out the window.. every time you accelerate harshly.. same result..

To achieve this takes a lot of practice .. I was taught to do this by imagining a glass of water is sitting on the dashboard.. drive without spilling it .. !

My Honda CRV MPG can be as low as 25 .. or as high as 30+ ..
Simply by driving sympathetically I get another 5 mpg .. no harsh braking or accelerating and by anticipating the road ahead... dropping top cruising speed by as little as 5 mph can also have a dramatic effect.

Cruise control can also drink juice when the controller tries to maintain the same speed going up steep gradients where a prudent driver would ease back rather than flooring it.

Another cheap fuel saver is a tennis ball... put it under the accelerator pedal.. :winky:

This x1000
Slowing down a bit on a cruise and reading the road ahead will improve your MPG hugely. See also = regular service, new filters, tyre pressures and sticky/binding brakes.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I put 2 stroke oil in my sprinter-based Autotrail, haven't actually checked mpg yet but recentlly done348 miles (full tank) and still have 1/4 tank left. We are away next Sunday so will fill-up and check mpg then. Ireckon on 20+. Thats with sprintshift g/box and using cruise as much as poss.
I also think the engine seems to run smoother and quieter too, got the tip via a Land Rover forum a while back. In a test (in the US I think) they compared loads of additives and 2st gave about 7percent increase in mpg, others did nothing and a few were better, unfortunately I can't remember the best performing ones!

Cheers, Dave:thumb:

ps, thats with a toad too

Filled up today,- 67 ltres to the brim, works out as near as dammit to 23.2 MPG. Quite happy with that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Probably not. Two stroke does work to an extent though. I use it on my Discovery, just around a third of a litre to a tankful, gives about a 3mpg improvement.. The theory is that it replaces some of the lubrication lost because all the diesel now is low sulphur. The Discovery forum reckons it will keep your turbo and particulate filter (if present) cleaner also and tends to reduce emissions.

edit make sure it is mineral (not semi or synthetic) oil though. I usually use the Tesco one.

As I remember, Semi-synthetic was recommended on the site I was looking at with a code of JCor more, not JB or less. and defo NOT fully synthetic.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So!!!! :Eeek:

I now have 3 things to try. This may take some time lol

1. Chuck a few litres of cooking oil in the tank and see if I get the same MPG I currently do. If I do - instant savings! ::bigsmile:
  2. Chuck some 2 stroke oil in the tank and see if I get an increased MPG. I feel scepticism creeping up on me! :whatthe:
  3. Keep the needle between 50 and 55, in stead of keeping it between 55 and 60. This one I have faith in, but I think I need to chill out a bit more first! lol
What if I do 1 AND 2 both at the same time? Will I reach escape velocity? :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back