Please don't sell your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Sadly my mother died last week. We are now parked up in the car park of the care home where my father is residing. My mother was his carer and if it weren’t for the van, we’d have nowhere to stay and he’d not be looked after even tho the careers are brilliant. If we’d have sold the van, we’d have been stuffed. I know we can’t holiday at the moment, but sometimes they are worth their weight in gold.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cidered ... my sincere condolences.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I also see that the equity release leeches are heavily advertising their products now as well :mad:
And now we have the gambling bingo ads still peddling their misery..
People at home, bored, may well get sucked in.
Any ad promoting gambling at this time, in my opinion should be banned!

Apr 8, 2018
East Riding of Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
On a change of subject - our van is due it’s first MOT in May - will it come under the 6mth MOT delay that’s been suggested??

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
I’m with others on this... the economy will bounce due to pent up demand. Things should revert to normal within a short space of time. Obviously, some people who were already feeling the pinch before all this, will suffer, no doubt! Down the line... the economy will be front-loaded with all this debt but hopefully, life will go on in the same way. Yes, I have always been an optimist... despite my own share of family disasters! ?

Absolutelyalan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Chalabre, South of France
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 2008
I think I'm in a slightly odd situation. We decided to sell our van late last year - we are so busy renovating our house in France it was just sitting on the drive gathering rust.

Put it in for its MOT early January which it failed due to rust. Spent a small fortune on welding and bodywork, put it back into the garage for them to fix the smaller bits before the MOT retest, but now the garage says they can't get the small clips, special bolts etc, as Fiat seems to have shut down.

So the van is sitting in the garage and I'm back in France, locked down. At least I know it's safe - as the garage owner remarked, "It's up on the ramp ŵithout wheels and there's another car underneath it, so if anyone wants to try nicking it, good luck!"

I agree that 'when this damned war's over' things will be upside down for a while and yes, there may be a global recession, but they'll sort themselves out.
As for the hawks, you get them all the time. When we sold our last van privately we had at least two "I'll give you four grand, I can come today with the cash" replies. My response was "Re-arrange this well-known phrase or saying - Off f***!"

Stay safe everyone, keep your distance, keep washing your hands and don't touch your face!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenmelmar

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Monaco Riptide
Exp
I am a newbie
We had a buyer for our American RV (Monico riptide 31), if he sold his. So we have to sell ours when we return to the UK after the lock down in Spain is finished. We know we will loose a lot on it now and it is a beautiful vehicle :(

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On a change of subject - our van is due it’s first MOT in May - will it come under the 6mth MOT delay that’s been suggested??

DVLA will be adding 6 months to each vehicle's MOT due date, but it may take some time for all to show up on the database.

If DVLA are sensible(?) they will start with the earliest due.

Geoff

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I imagine that a number of folk who were planning on selling a van for any number of reasons held off during the winter hoping to sell for a good price in the spring, unfortunately that isn’t going to work particularly well.
Then I was made aware of another effect of covid 19 when cancelling a booking at a campsite last week due to the current situation, after I had a longish conversation with the site owner. They explained how they put money aside during the season to carry them through the winter when they have little or no income. Come this time of year staff have been recruited, improvements have been made to the site, shops and cafes have been restocked and the bank balance is looking unhealthy. In a normal year the bookings gradually build up and the cash starts rolling in, they got the bookings but then the cancellations started and by now they may well have closed. The owner told me without income they didn’t think they could pay the mortgage beyond May.
Maybe they could consider opening to fulltimers in need of somewhere to go? It is now an acceptable thing to do in accordance with government guidelines. It would help both fulltimers and the site owners.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We are lucky in the fact that my old van is still going well. And that we have no depts. But have to help out with the kids. But things are ok with us. Still getting notes put under my vans wipers asking is it for sale. He still gets the same answer . My van is due its MOT next month. But as it is still just sitting on my drive. Like most of us. It will have to wait. We are so sorry that some of us are thinking of selling. My thoughts are with you. Sorry ramble over.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
In “commercial Motor” a publication that makes all of its revenue from advertising used trucks and is dying-on-it’s-arse as web advertising takes over

An anonymous source...mmmmm

the day after the lockdown is lifted you wont be able to get a restaurant table for love nor money

Hey, we will see

You will gave a half empty glass, mine will be half full......probably same amount if liquid ??

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As well as financial problems, sadly, I suspect some of us will not make it to the end of this, most of us are in or near the danger zone a far as age is concerned. Could be a lot of cheap motorhomes available in a year
No they will be dearer

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In “commercial Motor” a publication that makes all of its revenue from advertising used trucks and is dying-on-it’s-arse as web advertising takes over

An anonymous source...mmmmm

the day after the lockdown is lifted you wont be able to get a restaurant table for love nor money

Hey, we will see

You will gave a half empty glass, mine will be half full......probably same amount if liquid ??
I will have a couple of grams , you must have some good stuff.haha

Pistol

Free Member
Mar 27, 2020
Cleethorpes/Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
There can be no "one answer fits all" some people may just have to sell there MH want to or not ? others will feel pressured when the family is in money trouble and you have the van sat in the drive ? I don't think many will just sell to get some money back in the bank ?

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Mine might have to go end of September not because of finance but if DVLA require me to have exercise ECG when I have to renew licence at 73 as I had to do at 70.

What does exercise ECG mean?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Have to go to the hospital they wire you up to ECG equipment and check blood pressure regularly.
Get on to a treadmill and you do 3 minutes at one speed which is increased with rise of incline for a further 3 min speed and incline then increases again for another 3 min so you do a total of 9 minutes continuous.
There was a Consultant and a nurse checking all the time. The cost is paid for by the DVLA.
I struggled part way through the second 3 min and thought about calling it a day but thinking how much we love the motorhome carried on. But suffered with back problems for a while after. This time if required I might have problem as I now have trouble with left knee so we will have to see

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm worried that i'll lose out big time as I retire on Tuesday and my pensions are being calculated right now... if the market is on its arse then surely I will lose out

Depends on your personal circumstances and how you intend to take your pension.

I’m no IFA but if your pension has been structured around you retiring around now then its likely that very little of your fund will have been exposed to the volatile markets. If that is indeed the case and you are moving into a drawndown pension its likely that your plan will now be seeking investment growth it’s entirely possible that you could be moving money from stable investments into growth based investments. Arguably, this could be just about the best time to be doing that.

But, as I said, I’m no IFA.

Ian

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Have to go to the hospital they wire you up to ECG equipment and check blood pressure regularly.
Get on to a treadmill and you do 3 minutes at one speed which is increased with rise of incline for a further 3 min speed and incline then increases again for another 3 min so you do a total of 9 minutes continuous.
There was a Consultant and a nurse checking all the time. The cost is paid for by the DVLA.
I struggled part way through the second 3 min and thought about calling it a day but thinking how much we love the motorhome carried on. But suffered with back problems for a while after. This time if required I might have problem as I now have trouble with left knee so we will have to see
Forgive me but is all this because of existing/previous heart issues?

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Depends on your personal circumstances and how you intend to take your pension.

I’m no IFA but if your pension has been structured around you retiring around now then its likely that very little of your fund will have been exposed to the volatile markets. If that is indeed the case and you are moving into a drawndown pension its likely that your plan will now be seeking investment growth it’s entirely possible that you could be moving money from stable investments into growth based investments. Arguably, this could be just about the best time to be doing that.

But, as I said, I’m no IFA.

Ian
The fund is a mix of risks and though I didn’t plan to retire now the fund shouldn’t be wiped out as only a small percentage was exposed for maximum gain...

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
And now we have the gambling bingo ads still peddling their misery..
People at home, bored, may well get sucked in.
Any ad promoting gambling at this time, in my opinion should be banned!

I agree, but the fact they exist in the first place is the concern. The whole ' party atmosphere' that they portray is totally at odds with reality... my wife , bless her, really struggles to make female friends, because , top and bottom of it , she really cant be doing with most of their sh!t.

Anyway , after a house move , she decided to make the effort , and through a friend we already had, she went on a night out with a group of 8 , to the bingo. She came back a broken woman... LOL.. so apart from the tabletop games , that are played nationally, they also had 'under table' slot machines so that when there was a break, they all played those... of the 8 , 3 had money they concealed from their other halves, purely for bingo ( and 2 of those were outwardly 'comfortable' , but were actually teetering on the brink of insolvency' ) and another 4 lied about what they had spent every week.

After a frantic night of ticking number in boxes, with barely a word spoken, they all left and went their separate ways... when she got home, i asked if she had a nice time, to be greeted with a ' you have no idea'...

Its a scourge that should be stamped out, for the collective good of humanity.

Its another good barometer for deciding if you need someone in your life or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree, but the fact they exist in the first place is the concern. The whole ' party atmosphere' that they portray is totally at odds with reality... my wife , bless her, really struggles to make female friends, because , top and bottom of it , she really cant be doing with most of their sh!t.
That's me to a 'T'!

I don't have fancy hair dos, don't wear make-up or have manicures etc, not overly bothered about looking like a 'goddess' as a lot of women think they have to, quite happy getting my hands dirty ... when I worked my colleagues liked to go out and get plastered, I don't drink (don't like alcohol) so didn't join in and I didn't like seeing people like that, especially my boss.

They would think nothing of spending loads of money on cr@p and then whinging near the end of the month that they had no dosh left; having struggled for a while when we first got married due to extortionate interest rates which we had no control over their causing their own issues and then trying to get others to feel sorry for them really peed me off. Then of course there was the bitching ... don't get me started on that!

I actually get on better with men most of the time (even though some can be the same as my female colleagues) as there's no 'pressure' to talk about beauty, TV soaps, celebrities etc ... I'd much rather talk about technical stuff and power tools! ?

Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
Hopefully residual values will actually increase. When this is finally over I can't see masses of people wishing to holiday abroad in package holiday style, for a couple of years. Caravan, camping, motorhome and UK hotel/bed and breakfast holidays would seem to be the replacement , in my opinion. Demand leads price so the value might increase for those who are unfortunately forced to sell, if they can hang on to it for long enough for the market to settle.
Hope for the best plan for the worst.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
That's me to a 'T'!

I don't have fancy hair dos, don't wear make-up or have manicures etc, not overly bothered about looking like a 'goddess' as a lot of women think they have to, quite happy getting my hands dirty ... when I worked my colleagues liked to go out and get plastered, I don't drink (don't like alcohol) so didn't join in and I didn't like seeing people like that, especially my boss.

They would think nothing of spending loads of money on cr@p and then whinging near the end of the month that they had no dosh left; having struggled for a while when we first got married due to extortionate interest rates which we had no control over their causing their own issues and then trying to get others to feel sorry for them really peed me off. Then of course there was the bitching ... don't get me started on that!

I actually get on better with men most of the time (even though some can be the same as my female colleagues) as there's no 'pressure' to talk about beauty, TV soaps, celebrities etc ... I'd much rather talk about technical stuff and power tools! ?

Its difficult to 'go against the flow' as it were.. but there comes a point when you realise that you are right and they are wrong, and you become comfortable in your own existence.

And as you say , it isnt a female only trait, although my tolerance for fake people has never been high, it decreases day on day. Maybe the latest crisis will focus a few minds on what matters.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its difficult to 'go against the flow' as it were.. but there comes a point when you realise that you are right and they are wrong, and you become comfortable in your own existence.

And as you say , it isnt a female only trait, although my tolerance for fake people has never been high, it decreases day on day. Maybe the latest crisis will focus a few minds on what matters.
It's not all women as you say ... the gullibility of people falling for fashion trends is rife ... I remember well an encounter with our receptionist and noticed his shoes which were badly scuffed etc "Are you gonna polish them?" I asked jokingly to which he replied he'd just bought them and they were meant to be like that! :ROFLMAO:

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
One of the reasons why we won’t be selling our motorhome in the not to distant future is because the last place on earth you want to visit during these troubled times is the communal toilets in places like motorway services etc. You can’t beat having your own loo and hand washing facilities on board.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back