Planning to buy but need a good reference book please (1 Viewer)

Toby Wan

Free Member
Jul 20, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Preparing to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, my wife and I are in our mid-late 50's and enjoy travelling but have had enough of pitching tent/ striking tent every 3 or 4 days plus food storage issues as she has a food allergy so are planning to buy a small motor home to sleep 2 (must have a toilet but shower is optional). I'd like to ensure I'm prepared before buying so I'd be grateful if members could recommend a good reference book that tells me : what I need to check before buying, what I need to do before setting off, how to hook up electric in the UK and mainland Europe, gas safety, dealing with waste water, what to do when returning home and then closing up for the winter months to reduce the risk of issues in the Spring.

We are hoping to get to the Malvern show in August 2017 to get ideas of suitable 'vans. Any buying tips gratefully received.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome :WelcomeFlag: best £15 you will spend for help advice and banter joining here but we used this book as a reference when buying our first van. Good luck .
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Agree with the above and Jim's book, additionally you then have two more resources (1) the search function, for those things you may want to know, just about everything is in here somewhere, and (2) the ability to ask unlimited questions of members if you can't find what you want in a search.

:welcome4:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Toby Wan

Free Member
Jul 20, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Preparing to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to all three for the ideas. I've found the third edition of John's book on Amazon. I'm not good with downloaded books so I'll keep that in reserve for now. Thanks again!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to all three for the ideas. I've found the third edition of John's book on Amazon. I'm not good with downloaded books so I'll keep that in reserve for now. Thanks again!
We have two you want one? Just pm me!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we started looking we went to loads of dealerships and the nec show in October. You can then get a feel for the kind of layout you would like :)

OP
OP
T

Toby Wan

Free Member
Jul 20, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Preparing to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
In addition to the book Anthea has suggested, which is very good - I can recommend Go Motorhoming and Campervanning: http://tinyurl.com/y6vaxlz9

We had the first edition, which is available on ebay for £2.04 delivered - found it invaluable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Go-Motorh...944775&hash=item56940242f9:g:VYMAAOSwopRYi1sW
Thanks for this, I can see that there is a more recent version available and it might make sense to pay a bit more for more recent info. Looks like a useful book, thanks.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for this, I can see that there is a more recent version available and it might make sense to pay a bit more for more recent info. Looks like a useful book, thanks.
There is another good guidebook, written by Martin Dorey - 'The Campervan Bible', which was only published last year!

http://tinyurl.com/y8r6bphy (Amazon £13.60)

http://martindorey.com/product/camper-van-bible/

It is a real tomb, but has lots of good info. Martin is obviously a big VW fan, but there is plenty of info about other panel van conversions and coachbuilt motorhomes too. I certainly enjoyed it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I managed to borrow some books, from the local library, before i bought might be worth a look.

OP
OP
T

Toby Wan

Free Member
Jul 20, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Preparing to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I managed to borrow some books, from the local library, before i bought might be worth a look.
Thanks for the idea, but we live in a small Shropshire town where the library is very small and not well stocked. I'm sure they could order in but I'd rather have my own copy that I can mark up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back