Planning our Scottish escape ... is Mull worth visiting? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're getting 'excited' about a holiday at some point in Scotland so have been doing some research/planning into where to go, our initial idea is the south west corner of Scotland and possibly over to Mull but is the trip there worth it or is it much the same as the mainland? The cost to go isn't massive but obviously if it's just going for the sake of it then we might as well not bother (we've been to Harris and Lewis previously and that was great but they have very different types of landscapes so well worth the cost/time).

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I didn't 'get' Mull at all.

It was ok, Tobermory was cute. The campsite was ok but probably wilding is possible. The roads were narrow and twisty.

Only stayed one night and crossed back to the mainland.

Oban was nice with a lovely CC campsite, North Ledaig, right on the water's edge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Minxy Girl
Christmas 2009

You need to be aware of the hairy ar*sed natives.
1618396781530.png

Hey, who are you looking at!
1618396838525.png

The fishing ain't that much cop!
1618396894488.png

Oh, and the crossing can be horrendous!
1618396948730.png

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Park4night has great links and info on what to look at and go.... 4 official campsites on mull much improved. Stunning seafood 🦞 I’ll be popping over as soon as the islands are released from lockdown or are graded the same as mainland levels.

yes roads are narrow but well worth it we’ll worth it. I’m ok in my 4t Hymer. 😷🥃

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Definitely worth a visit, so is the small trip across to Iona if weather is good, some beautiful beaches
And walks plus the Abbey is worth looking at,
Also worth doing a boat trip to Staffa from Tobermory,
Small airfield call Glenforsa has a very nice restaurant so also worth a trip,
Many good places to wildcamp if you are fully self contained ,

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We have been there a few times and it is different to the Outer Hebrides but worth visiting. A visit to Iona is a must. There is a campsite just outside Fionnphort, where the ferry to Iona leaves from. Check out the ferry routes, there are 3. We tend to go from Lochalinne and return from Tobermory to Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula and then up to Mallaig where you can cross over to Skye. If you intend to visit several islands, check out individual fares against the price of an Island Hopscotch ticket.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

It was ok, Tobermory was cute. The campsite was ok but probably wilding is possible. The roads were narrow and twisty.

Oban was nice with a lovely CC campsite, North Ledaig, right on the water's edge.
I've heard a few people say that. Arran is meant to be good.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I love it ... beautiful white sand beaches, white tailed eagles, seals ... Iona an interesting trip ... life is a different pace ... I think sometimes the temptation is to keep moving to see the next thing where’s the beauty is just ‘being’ and absorbing the landscape

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
As you are intending to start in SW Scotland, the Forestry’s “Stay the Night“ scheme is re-starting on the 26th April. Last year there were 4 sites in D&G, including one at Clatteringshaws which has a CDP and water. Just a few miles from us so may be popping up for a night when it opens.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I used the Forestry’s ‘Stay the Night’ carparks last year and they were great. Would highly recommend.

went to Mull many years ago in my first campervan (clapped out ex ambulance LT35!) We only stayed the 1 night but enjoyed the visit - basically we drove around, visited Tobermory for fish and chips and ‘wild’ camped on a forestry track - didn’t see the no camping sign until the following morning!😉

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
As you are intending to start in SW Scotland, the Forestry’s “Stay the Night“ scheme is re-starting on the 26th April. Last year there were 4 sites in D&G, including one at Clatteringshaws which has a CDP and water. Just a few miles from us so may be popping up for a night when it opens.
And, if you don’t mind paying, Loch Ken site idyllic.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We love Mull and it is well worth a visit especially to go over to magical Iona. A beautiful place.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Having been to Scotland on motorcycles cars and trucks, we have been soaking wet eaten alive in fact the only place we have walked into a chemist and been given cream to rub on these little red spots without asking for anything. 🤔😁

We got friendly with a couple at Rutland water, and while sitting in their small RV hearing so many stories about the Scottish islands we really wanted to visit and experience them first hand, we have been told many stories over the years about midges, they say only in this month or that month, only on the west coast not the east, and definitely not on the islands it's too windy for them. 😯
The trouble we had we went in August and was told no midges or rain 😉🤔 it seemed worse than our other attempts. 😁

I think midges holiday in Oban. 😁 Bob.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Having been to Scotland on motorcycles cars and trucks, we have been soaking wet eaten alive in fact the only place we have walked into a chemist and been given cream to rub on these little red spots without asking for anything. 🤔😁

We got friendly with a couple at Rutland water, and while sitting in their small RV hearing so many stories about the Scottish islands we really wanted to visit and experience them first hand, we have been told many stories over the years about midges, they say only in this month or that month, only on the west coast not the east, and definitely not on the islands it's too windy for them. 😯
The trouble we had we went in August and was told no midges or rain 😉🤔 it seemed worse than our other attempts. 😁

I think midges holiday in Oban. 😁 Bob.
Midges on islands too ... even by the shore. Basically June-September with July and August worst.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

I cannot believe you said that 🤪 Mull is great for wildlife, fantastic sea food and great craic in the Mishnish in Tobermory,
there is a great cheese making farm and the boat trips to feed the Sea Eagles or spot Whales and Dolphins are a great way to spend a day.
the only negative I have is if you leave it any later than June, you will have to decide which way you are going around the island as you will be in convoy with many other Motorhomers looking for a wild camping spot 😎

May 30, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
We spent a week on Mull last year and loved it. We stayed on Salen Bay campsite where we had a spot at the front overlooking the bay. I played golf at Tobermory Golf Club which is a great way to combine golf and hillwalking.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
We visited Mull 2 years ago, stayed at Crannich Campsite, Fidden Farm and Lochbuie and would recommend them all
For seafood try Cafe Fish in Tobermory and visit Calgary Bay
Loads of wild life sea eagles, deer but didn't manage to see an otter
There's a motorhomer's guide to the island
The drive from Calgary Bay to Dervaig on the purple route is interesting:oops:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Mull is great. We’re going again in July on the motorbikes. 10 bikes I think. The twisty narrow roads are great fun to drive and to ride. It doesn’t cost very much at all to get there if you go lochaline to fishnish. Not 100% sure about spellings. Even the ferry from Oban isn’t very expensive. I’ve not been on that one in the Moho but it’s about £11.00 for a motorbike and rider.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Where can I find the info on this please? All I can find is this website which says that the stay the night trial had ended and all of the car parks have reverted back to no overnight stays.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
This is what CAMpRA have been told:

This years Stay the night scheme will go live on 26th April 2021.

This is the information from FLS.

As you know, last year’s ‘stay-the-night’ trial for self-contained campervans and motorhomes was offered at 30 FLS managed car parks and was met with an overwhelmingly positive response.

With staycations likely to continue to be the main holiday option this year, we will run a further trial starting on 26 April, when COVID-19 restrictions for overnight stays are scheduled to be lifted in Scotland.

This second trial – with at least 31 sites (and potentially a few more), details online from 26 April - will be run along similar lines to last year’s and will help accommodate the expected high levels of demand and help alleviate the anticipated pressures on the tourism sector arising from high visitor numbers.

For this trial, we will also be introducing a small charge at half a dozen sites. This will help us gauge how best to manage this element of the offer, in line with our original plans as announced last year.

We are not yet in a position to offer Stay-the-Night as a permanent feature and this second trial will also help inform our decision.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're getting 'excited' about a holiday at some point in Scotland so have been doing some research/planning into where to go, our initial idea is the south west corner of Scotland and possibly over to Mull but is the trip there worth it or is it much the same as the mainland? The cost to go isn't massive but obviously if it's just going for the sake of it then we might as well not bother (we've been to Harris and Lewis previously and that was great but they have very different types of landscapes so well worth the cost/time).

If you enjoy a slower pace of life, go to Mull. It is amazing. Lots of delicious foods, wonderful scenery and a calmness that isn't often found on the mainland.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mull is great. We’re going again in July on the motorbikes. 10 bikes I think. The twisty narrow roads are great fun to drive and to ride. It doesn’t cost very much at all to get there if you go lochaline to fishnish. Not 100% sure about spellings. Even the ferry from Oban isn’t very expensive. I’ve not been on that one in the Moho but it’s about £11.00 for a motorbike and rider.
For us 2 and our MH it's just under £60 return from Oban so if we go we intend to stay for a while, hopefully with good weather and not too many midges! :giggle:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
For us 2 and our MH it's just under £60 return from Oban so if we go we intend to stay for a while, hopefully with good weather and not too many midges! :giggle:
That’s not too bad. We’re hoping to miss the dreaded midge as well. Can’t see out the visor sometimes.
Have a great trip.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019

Janine, I'm shocked, you went to Mull and didn't climb Ben More. You'll be telling me next you didn't visit the Mishnish and consequently missed the local music, didn't get drunk and fall out of the hotel door and then insist on a fish supper from the local van, despite only having eaten three hours before*?

If that wasn't you, who was it? :unsure::LOL:

* a phenomenon known in these parts as "whisky hunger".

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you go to Mull you can book the Balamory tour and if you're lucky you might meet PC plod :):). The last time I was on Mull was about 19 years ago when I took my Daughter to see Balamory :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back