Planning a Return trip to Norway - routes, options etc May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Havent read right through the thread, but, and bear with me.
Calais to Hirtshalls 800 miles non toll or 2 days solid driving.
No idea how long the ferry is to Oslo from there but perhaps going via Harwich takes a couple of hours off.

Travel there single crewed and fly back, leaving motorhome with friend (be aware of potential insurance issues) then the week after fly family over and start your holiday there whilst your friend does what he needs to do to your van.

Its only an idea !
We've driven the Hook to Hirtshals many a time, but in the car often doing 75/80 mph, at best we used to overnight in Kolding before moving on next day, you won't cover that in a motorhome unless you take a few days as suggested. Ferry times for us from Hirtshals (to the Faroes, not Norway, means we have to juggle how much we can do on day one to be in time for the ferry departure on day two (it's only twice a week). Last year we did two overnight stops, age and driving times dictates how much I want to do these days.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We've driven the Hook to Hirtshals many a time, but in the car often doing 75/80 mph, at best we used to overnight in Kolding before moving on next day, you won't cover that in a motorhome unless you take a few days as suggested. Ferry times for us from Hirtshals (to the Faroes, not Norway, means we have to juggle how much we can do on day one to be in time for the ferry departure on day two (it's only twice a week). Last year we did two overnight stops, age and driving times dictates how much I want to do these days.
He's young ! (y)

I d manage that in 2 days without too much trouble, but we are all different.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Look at the UK to Holland ferry options.

It's half a days drive from the Calais/Dunkirk to Rotterdam/Hook/Ijmuiden

Also the longer sea crossing to Holland means it's best to go on an overnight ferry when you sleep in your cabin.
It means you can be on the German Autobahns in time for a late breakfast, and a day ahead of those that started from Dover at 7am.

We only use the Channel crossings for France and Spain
For all other locations (Germany, Italy, Switzerland etc) we use the crossings to Holland.
It so much nicer, it saves time and when you take the tolls and fuel into account, it's cheaper, even with the cabin included!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
DFDS took over and soon dropped most of those Scandi routes. Even their last route from Harwich to Esbjerg ended in 2014. Their is talk of a new Bergen/Newcastle route for 2026 but like the Regina Line for Harwich/Esbjerg it may never get off the ground, or should that be in the water?

Website and Facebook.
DFDS seemed happy to take over all the Scandi routes, just to close them all, the Harwich Esbjerg route was brilliant, once ashore in Denmark, you could explore the beautiful coast on Denmark, or you could take the new bridge and be in Sweden in a few hours.
Such a pain that DFDS closed it.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

We have booked for this summer. 3 weeks at the End of August, as we are stuck with school holidays.

Would like more time like any holiday but there you go…

Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight.
Drive to Copenhagen- probably in one day.
Couple of days at Copenhagen.
DFDS cruise ferry Copenhagen to Olso
See friends on southern Norway
Drive loop to Bergen over 12 days.
Colorline Ferry Kristiansand NO to Hiratshals DK.
Hook of Holland to Harwich.

I have never spent so much on ferries but have wanted to go back since I did two Socut jamborees in Norway pre covid.

Daniel.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight.
Drive to Copenhagen- probably in one day.
We went Hook of Holland to Amsterdam for 2 nights, then in a fast BMW, set off for Copenhagen. I forgot Germany was in the way ! We made it as far as the ferry port at Puttgarden.
You need to plan for a stop on this day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
We too are planning Norway for summer. 4/5 weeks but hubby can’t do boats so long drive there…. Kids flying into Oslo Torp, two and half weeks touring with us, make way over to Stavanger where they’ll pick up their return flight. That’s the plan anyway if we can find dates around proms, dog shows and exam results days 🙄
Never been before so new adventure - couldn’t believe it’s same sort of distance to drive from midlands to Norway as it is down to South of France. Hoping to find some activities for the kids (18 & 16) that’ll be something a bit different for them.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Also planning for the midnight sun around June July
Still route planning Harwich to the hook seems favorite. Last time did Dunkirk and up through Germany to Rostock /Trellbouge (TT lines) lots of driving but rewarded with a good showing of the lights.
This time planning less driving times and a slower trip with fishing in mind. Plan each day as it comes. Hopefully no restrictions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back