Planning a Return trip to Norway - routes, options etc May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Jenkins
Exp
Don't own one yet
Hi funsters,
A general question about best options etc to visit Norway this year.

We have a 9 year old child and I want to visit friends in Oslo for the first time around May/June half term time. Proberbly then go on and muck about the west coast before heading back.
Was dreaming of taking the old 94 vw MH autosleeper T4. Its 6 metres max long with all the bikes and rear rack kit.
Route options- looked into Holland Norway ferry to Kristiansand from Holland and back satarday to satarday and they want about 2100 euros for the crossing with a basic cabin and some meals.

Its a lot of money to spend for us just to begin with and we always need to save where we can for all the usual young family reasons so without sounding or being tight fisted, is this the only option we have in terms of balance of comfort to get there and speed and economy ?
As cost effective saving, I was thinking that the girls could fly to Oslo and back and I could then take my time driving there and back either side of the premium half term week on the various cheaper ferry crossing days or just do more land driving.

Should I sign up to any particular member discounts for better ferry prices and or book through other country websites for better deals?

I will read all the previous posts about where and what to visit but for now its all about setting the basics in motion.

OK, any advice is very welcome.

David and family.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
In the olden day I had always planned to make this trip but then they dropped the Newcastle to Bergen ferry. :(

OP
OP
D
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Jenkins
Exp
Don't own one yet
In the olden day I had always planned to make this trip but then they dropped the Newcastle to Bergen ferry. :(
Yes I believe they dropped that service in 2008.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think a week is just a bit tight to be worth the financial and physical (lots of driving) costs.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I think a week is just a bit tight to be worth the financial and physical (lots of driving) costs.
I agree entirely that a week is not enough and the ferry cost is horrific. My favoured route is ferry to Holland and drive north through Denmark and catch the ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you would need at least three or four weeks to get to and look around Norway and then get back even then you are not going to go very far up🤔
we did a Sweden trip back in 2017 and travelled to top of Sweden and just getting there took us six weeks with of course stops at various places.😊

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
I think you would need at least three or four weeks to get to and look around Norway and then get back even then you are not going to go very far up🤔
we did a Sweden trip back in 2017 and travelled to top of Sweden and just getting there took us six weeks with of course stops at various places.😊
I presume it would be a good way to get to North Cape area without all the expense of Norwegian ferry and tunnel/bridge tolls as our motor homes over 3.5T and 7 M long would love to go up in winter for the northern lights as only ever seen them in monochrome in Iceland.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We did five weeks in 2018 and 4000+miles and only got as far as Kristiansund. Folkestone and the tunnel to Malmo via the bridge, up through Sweden to K'sund and back south through the scenic bits before crossing from K'sand to Hirtshals. Forget google maps journey times as well, you can probably add 75% for a lot of routes and still not be at journey's end.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes I believe they dropped that service in 2008.
DFDS took over and soon dropped most of those Scandi routes. Even their last route from Harwich to Esbjerg ended in 2014. Their is talk of a new Bergen/Newcastle route for 2026 but like the Regina Line for Harwich/Esbjerg it may never get off the ground, or should that be in the water?

Website and Facebook.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I presume it would be a good way to get to North Cape area without all the expense of Norwegian ferry and tunnel/bridge tolls as our motor homes over 3.5T and 7 M long would love to go up in winter for the northern lights as only ever seen them in monochrome in Iceland.
Yes a great route using the E45 inland vagen right up to Karesuando then cross over into Finland we set out in April but did not do NordKap we travelled down through Finland and then back into Sweden and followed the Baltic coast back to Denmark and then Germany and France 13 weeks in all. A great adventure😊

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did a Northern Lights Cruise with Hurtigruten last October a great way to see the Norwegian Fjords and Northern Lights

Attachments

• 752954CB-3865-4470-ABA6-BF37D9B47FD4.jpeg
    752954CB-3865-4470-ABA6-BF37D9B47FD4.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 4876750A-8CF9-47E4-9757-64755580E4E9.jpeg
    4876750A-8CF9-47E4-9757-64755580E4E9.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 14A7B762-BABE-464A-A78A-0023D5CE038F.jpeg
    14A7B762-BABE-464A-A78A-0023D5CE038F.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 27
  • C2973F96-2347-4A31-A633-C87E7955B254.jpeg
    C2973F96-2347-4A31-A633-C87E7955B254.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 29
  • E334DE7A-6FFD-4AAB-8791-98B4C6C501FC.jpeg
    E334DE7A-6FFD-4AAB-8791-98B4C6C501FC.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
D
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Jenkins
Exp
Don't own one yet
Oh, if only we had the time. Seems a long time driving with only myself driving for a week or 10 days and its the old 2.4 non turbo.
I guess I need some super planning.

Is there an advantage in taking the ferry from uk to Hamburg verse to Holland?

If this takes off, then I guess we will stay around the south west region and not just constantly be driving, to then have to just drive back down.

One of the reasons I want to do the trip is that my friend there does underbody llanaloil spraying protection of vehicles in prep for the winters ahead.
I guess this is a big saving on the whole trip costs.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We did a Northern Lights Cruise with Hurtigruten last October a great way to see the Norwegian Fjords and Northern Lights
I agree, for coroner, the best way is on Hurtigruten. Comfort and warmth with someone else doing the driving! It is also the way to experience the beautiful coast as the roads have many many miles of tunnels. From the heights of the ships decks or observation lounge it is fantastic.
You are still likely to experience the “lights” in monochrome though. The green comes from a very long exposure on the camera.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Oh, if only we had the time. Seems a long time driving with only myself driving for a week or 10 days and its the old 2.4 non turbo.

If this takes off, then I guess we will stay around the south west region and not just constantly be driving, to then have to just drive back down.

One of the reasons I want to do the trip is that my friend there does underbody llanaloil spraying protection of vehicles in prep for the winters ahead.
No ferry to Hamburg, DFDS pulled that one before the Esbjerg route.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For you, driving on your own with child, and considering your vehicle, I would advise the Holland port Emmshaven. The traffic on German autobahns is fast and furious and more than a little scarey.
How you get to Holland depends quite a bit on your departure location in the UK.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You will need more time.

But I'd use the Harwich/Hook of Holland or Hull/Rotterdam crossing and then drive to Oslo
It's then 1,500km of driving whichever route you take.

Via the bridge to Malmo may be the cheapest and most interesting
via Hirtshals/Oslo ferry may be the quickest
via Hirtshals/Kristiansand or Gothenburg may be a compromise between the options

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I agree, for coroner, the best way is on Hurtigruten. Comfort and warmth with someone else doing the driving! It is also the way to experience the beautiful coast as the roads have many many miles of tunnels. From the heights of the ships decks or observation lounge it is fantastic.
You are still likely to experience the “lights” in monochrome though. The green comes from a very long exposure on the camera.
I used my iPhone to take my pictures and on a few I have got red as well😊
2CD72F6D-3576-42FF-BF65-1CD19BBEF333.jpeg
FE76E75B-1403-4A7D-9874-42410A0A25CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Be aware, the speed limits outside built up areas is mostly 50mph in Norway (except a few dual carriageways and motorways). Even this is too fast for some of the winding roads which can narrow down to single lanes in places. One needs to allow extra time for this.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We were fortunate being on the “Astronomy “ cruise, the leader was able to ask the captain to turn off the deck lights for a while for us.
Yes we had light off as soon as the bridge saw any sign of the Aurora.😊

OP
OP
D
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Jenkins
Exp
Don't own one yet
Well lots and lots of current wise and wisoned advice has come in on this post today. Thank you all for it and getting me up to speed with the logistics of it.

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Just don't do what I did, which was Oslo and back in just less than a week via Dover-Calais. This was just to collect a race car and even I will admit to being a bit cream-crackered afterwards. Did I mention we were towing a covered car trailer too?

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I'd consider Newcastle to Ijmuiden, rest well overnight onboard and save an hour's drive in Holland. Don't know if the roadworks are still bad through Bremen & Hamburg, if they are it will add a few hours onto your drive north.
Look at other ports in Germany, Rostock for example, and drive up through Sweden. Both the Oresund & Great Belt Bridge tolls can be cost prohibitive in a motorhome.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'd consider Newcastle to Ijmuiden, rest well overnight onboard and save an hour's drive in Holland. Don't know if the roadworks are still bad through Bremen & Hamburg, if they are it will add a few hours onto your drive north.
Look at other ports in Germany, Rostock for example, and drive up through Sweden. Both the Oresund & Great Belt Bridge tolls can be cost prohibitive in a motorhome.
The roadworks through Hamburg in particular are still bad and will be for another few years. Better on a Sunday possibly when lorries are banned.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Havent read right through the thread, but, and bear with me.
Calais to Hirtshalls 800 miles non toll or 2 days solid driving.
No idea how long the ferry is to Oslo from there but perhaps going via Harwich takes a couple of hours off.

Travel there single crewed and fly back, leaving motorhome with friend (be aware of potential insurance issues) then the week after fly family over and start your holiday there whilst your friend does what he needs to do to your van.

Its only an idea !

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No idea how long the ferry is to Oslo from there but perhaps going via Harwich takes a couple of hours off.

Travel there single crewed and fly back, leaving motorhome with friend (be aware of potential insurance issues) then the week after fly family over and start your holiday there whilst your friend does what he needs to do to your van.

Its only an idea !
Good plan with slight amendment
start your holiday there after your friend does what he needs to do to your van.

OP
OP
D
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Jenkins
Exp
Don't own one yet
Great sense advice coming in on this. Thanks
There is nothing worse than being stretched for time and just having to drive for hours on end, true, whist on hols. So I'm gonna re think the whole trip.
My dream mind is to use the vw MH abroad in Scandi land and its environs lIt has toilet, shower etc and what better accomidation is there to enjoy super close up, true clean nature and all that it offers day and night.

Its only an idea !
Top.advice there, yes the idea of keeping the family crew as fresh as possible to only experience Norway or anywhere for that matter, without the long lug of motorway miles and sedentary positioning is both economical on the minds and body and truly physically and financially beneficial to all. I wish someone was planning my hols in a camper with such consideration ! :)

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I just think any trip to Norway for a week is pointless to be honest! We were lucky enough to spend nearly 2 months there this August-September and that meant we could leisurely drive all the way to Nordkapp and back. We went Harwich- Hook of Holland and Hirtshals-Ktsitiansand ferries.

Polarsteps link to our trip here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back