Picking up my new Carthago tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi All

We are picking up are new Carthago tomorrow from Southdowns in Portsmouth any advise and what to do, say, ask etc etc

What do I need to check over and above log book, invoice, extras we have had fitted,

Thanks

LB

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Left that request a bit late haven't you?

Stay around the area for a couple of days to get answers and then check all systems.

Make sure the paperwork contains a Certificate of Conformity and a Bill of Sale. And make sure they give you the manuals for the Base Vehicle, Conversion and all equipment fitted.

Good luck

Geoff

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Go early, if you can, while still alert and able to take it all in.
Southdowns should cover everything. It'll take at least an hour, possibly two.
I'd expect to see everything working.
You might want to see a weighbridge ticket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, Shawn ,,, hope you really enjoy your new toy. and have a great time.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You may find it useful to video any complicated technical bits.
Enjoy!

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately I am unable to stop in the area its literally collect it and get back same day as work is hectic at the minute so unable to take more time off (even though I own the business :confused:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Rather than video. If you want to record it, take a voice recorder. I think you'd be distracted by the equipment, otherwise, and take less in. A pencil and paper may be of use, but even that should not be necessary.
Concentrate on what you are told and ask related questions. Try to avoid changing the subject. They may have a particular "order of service" and jumping about may cause something to get missed.
Enjoy your drive back. Try it out on the drive while all the information is still fresh.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Well everything went ok today regards part exchanging my Rapido at southdowns they said it was as good as new and could not find a single fault with it

Stopping in a hotel tonight in Portsmouth and going back in the morning to do the hand over and drive back the new MH in the afternoon

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Did you remember a weighbridge certificate????
Top priority these days as manufacturers figures normally lie.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Congratulations on your new MH. For future reference, you can park overnight with EHU, outside their showroom. We’ve parked there several times, so as to be early for the service department.

We’ve been very impressed with Southdown’s after sales support.

Enjoy.

Mrs QFour

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Well picked it up today and southdowns were brilliant very thorough and all went smoothly

One thing I am very happy with the weigh bridge ticket
Full tank of fuel 65% full fresh water 10% grey water suitcase of clothes and bits and bobs both Myself and the wife and the gvw was 3940kg which leaves me a huge 560kg of payload this is great news for me

Also front axle was 1890kg
Rear axle 2050kg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Well picked it up today and southdowns were brilliant very thorough and all went smoothly

One thing I am very happy with the weigh bridge ticket
Full tank of fuel 65% full fresh water 10% grey water suitcase of clothes and bits and bobs both Muslim and the wife and the was 3940kg quick leavrsxme a huge 560kg of payload this is great news for me
Have they done a conversion on you too! :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Lanerboy, let us know how you get on when you get to use your new toy.
It’s a big investment so I hope you get many years of Fun out of it. (y):D

Richard.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
What model did you purchase please?
Did Southdowns do the weighbridge certificate or did you do it after collecting it?
Too late now, but I would have suggested a free 3 year service voucher in the deal, as that's what we managed to get.
You normally have to have a water ingress check after 3 months of ownership, and a black sticker is placed in the log book, to keep the ingress warranty valid. So pleased that was done as part of the 3 year free service package.

Good choice of manufacturer,lovely well built vans, dont think you will experience any problems with the build quality,leaks etc,but it will probably take you a week or so to work out the light switches:D2
Good luck.
Les

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Good luck with the new van

Do new Carthagos still require their first hab service at 3 months old?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good luck with the new van

Do new Carthagos still require their first hab service at 3 months old?
As far as I know yes, we were summoned in for a check after 3 months last year, I was told beforehand that they just chuck a hose pipe over it and check the rooflight seals, it was a nice surprise when it re-appeared from the workshop that they valleted it also:)
Les

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Southdowns will give you as much time as you want. Use it and don’t be embarrassed to ask them to repeat or go over things again. We stayed nearby overnight in case of any questions/problems.
Enjoy your new MH

Absolutely, nothing is too much trouble for them, use your phone/tablet to video all the technical aspects of the Gas/Electrics etc etc it’s so easy for it to go straight over your head.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As far as I know yes, we were summoned in for a check after 3 months last year, I was told beforehand that they just chuck a hose pipe over it and check the rooflight seals, it was a nice surprise when it re-appeared from the workshop that they valleted it also:)
Les
Hi Les
Was that a free service ?

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We bought a c line 4.9 supreme with loads of extras

I did the weigh bridge on the way home at warwick

Not got 3 year service plan but got a huge discount and a good part ex price

You do not have to have the 3 month inspection it is voluntary and chargeable and does not affect your warranty in any way

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Ok here goes this was bound to happen, I can't remember everything we were shown and there are a few things I need help with

1 I can't seem to get the bedroom tv to work it keeps saying no signal check satellite, lounge tv is fine

2 I can't get the lounge tv to produce the sound out of the stereo speakers

3 Does anyone know how to turn the little light off that is on the outside of the vehicle fitted flush in the near side wing mirror arm

Don't worry I am sure I will have more questions :LOL:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Good job you didn’t buy your Carthago from Premium cos it says on their website that the 3 months inspection is mandatory

I felt a bit ripped off by Prenium to be told at handover that I needed to buy an inspection at only 3 months old. Looks like Southdowns don’t require this

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations on your lovely new van.
Enjoy your adventures in her!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok here goes this was bound to happen, I can't remember everything we were shown and there are a few things I need help with

1 I can't seem to get the bedroom tv to work it keeps saying no signal check satellite, lounge tv is fine

2 I can't get the lounge tv to produce the sound out of the stereo speakers

3 Does anyone know how to turn the little light off that is on the outside of the vehicle fitted flush in the near side wing mirror arm

Don't worry I am sure I will have more questions :LOL:

From memory...

2) On the TV menu I think you need to select for the sound to be played on external speakers
On the radio you need to select the correct external input
Takes a bit of fiddling the first time

3) Think its a courtesy light which you control by a switch next to the passengers seat (if its right hand drive)

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
From memory...

3) Think its a courtesy light which you control by a switch next to the passengers seat (if its right hand drive)

Tried this but no joy I have had to turn the hab batteries off using the isolation switch and the light has gone off turned batteries back on and light has stayed off I will investigate further tomorrow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back