Pet Passport after "no deal" Brexit (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Received this from our vet. We're not too worried ourselves as we are not going abroad this year due to family commitments. May be part of project fear but may not.

Attachments

• RABIES CLIENT LETTER.pdf
    609.8 KB · Views: 65

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we have already had the blood test ( in case we need it as a precautionary measure) as the timing needs to be correct to allow us to travel. The actual uk passport being valid will be an interesting one.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We’ve also had out dog blood test done ready.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Also had our Pippa's blood test done so we are ready for April. Only unknown now is knowing whether we will need the Health Certificate for each dog before we go. As the vets do not have these yet and have to apply to DEFRA for them not sure whether vets will get them in time for our trip. Still a wait and see, not at all happy about this as we may have to cancel trip if required and vet doesn't have them.

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
That’s a point, I have to pop into the vets early next week so I will ask them about the certificates and timescales of getting them in in advance. Life always gives us a few challenges doesn’t it.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Tui had a blood test with her original passport, but Dolly didn't have one as it was not required when she got her passport. I don't know if they will both need new blood tests next year.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Tui had a blood test with her original passport, but Dolly didn't have one as it was not required when she got her passport. I don't know if they will both need new blood tests next year.

Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test. Your pet will need a health certificate for each trip to the EU.
To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an OV no more than 10 days before you travel. You must take proof of:
  • your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Pete

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Very expensive "just in case " blood test. I was quoted "about" £160 by my vet and other threads show some people have paid more. Would be ok if we got a refund if we leave with a deal and it was not needed but that's not going to happen! You'd think there'd be a kind of "running in" period when they decide new rules. There must be thousands of people in limbo. As soon as they make a decision there's going to be a mad rush when everyone tries to get sorted out at the last minute. That's going to be fun!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Very expensive "just in case " blood test. I was quoted "about" £160 by my vet and other threads show some people have paid more. Would be ok if we got a refund if we leave with a deal and it was not needed but that's not going to happen! You'd think there'd be a kind of "running in" period when they decide new rules. There must be thousands of people in limbo. As soon as they make a decision there's going to be a mad rush when everyone tries to get sorted out at the last minute. That's going to be fun!
I think the running in period has turned into the we are still not decided period so evaporated but yes it would have been sensible

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Also had our Pippa's blood test done so we are ready for April. Only unknown now is knowing whether we will need the Health Certificate for each dog before we go. As the vets do not have these yet and have to apply to DEFRA for them not sure whether vets will get them in time for our trip. Still a wait and see, not at all happy about this as we may have to cancel trip if required and vet doesn't have them.

The health certificate can be downloaded from the official DEFRA website (see link below) by yourself or your Vet. You'll need one per pet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cats-and-ferrets-from-third-countries#history

Pete

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I really don’t understand all this. It is the UK government that wants us to have the present passport because they don’t want our pets bringing rabies and tapeworm back to the UK. The French don’t seem to care whether I have a pet passport for my dog or not. Why do the UK government now require a blood test?, it makes no sense to me.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
... but who is going to check the passports, and where?

Best you ask the EU that, as they'll be the ones instigating it!
In the event of a no deal Brexit, a UK pet passport will not be valid for travel to the EU, they'll be checking pet Health Certificates

Pete

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... but who is going to check the passports, and where?
It will probably be done by the ferry/tunnel company as you leave the UK, just as they check the pet passport now.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It will probably be done by the ferry/tunnel company as you leave the UK, just as they check the pet passport now.
Best you ask the EU that, as they'll be the ones instigating it!
In the event of a no deal Brexit, a UK pet passport will not be valid for travel to the EU, they'll be checking pet Health Certificates

Pete
We use the tunnel, at the moment there are only facilities to check pets in France before boarding the homeward bound train.

They'll have to get a move on building another place for when entering France/leaving England.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We use the tunnel, at the moment there are only facilities to check pets in France before boarding the homeward bound train.

They'll have to get a move on building another place for when entering France.

Travellers point of entry

The pet animal (dog, cat or ferret) must pass through a travellers' point of entry designated by Member States (see below). The owner must, at the time of entry, contact the competent authority present at the point of entry for the purposes of the documentary and identity checks.

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en

Pete

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Travellers point of entry

The pet animal (dog, cat or ferret) must pass through a travellers' point of entry designated by Member States (see below). The owner must, at the time of entry, contact the competent authority present at the point of entry for the purposes of the documentary and identity checks.

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en

Pete
I know that, my point is, there is no Traveller's Point of Entry (for pets) when leaving England or Entering France.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
In the event of a "No deal" Brexit, it's the EU that will require/insist on your pet having a blood test, as pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.

Pete

I am currently in Spain my Dog has a Spanish Pet Passport, we went into the Vets this week to enquiry what we should do re Passport etc as the annual booster jabs are due in a couple of weeks following which we will be returning to the UK, the Vet had no idea what will be needed they haven’t been informed of anything, therefore, I presume a Spaniard with Pet visiting the UK on holiday is equally uninformed.

It’s a bloody mess and the UK are the culprits introducing more measures when it’s only them that check Pet Passports.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I know that, my point is, there is no Traveller's Point of Entry (for pets) when leaving England or Entering France.

Try clicking on the link I provided in that post and reading the relevant countries PDF and you'll find that there are Travellers Point of entries.

Pete

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I am currently in Spain my Dog has a Spanish Pet Passport, we went into the Vets this week to enquiry what we should do re Passport etc as the annual booster jabs are due in a couple of weeks following which we will be returning to the UK, the Vet had no idea what will be needed they haven’t been informed of anything, therefore, I presume a Spaniard with Pet visiting the UK on holiday is equally uninformed.

Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:
  • an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
  • the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU
  • a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)
Check the routes before you travel. On existing approved routes your documents and microchip will be checked. If you’re not travelling on an approved route talk to your vet about what preparations you need to make before travel.

There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Pete

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:
  • an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
  • the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU
  • a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)
Check the routes before you travel. On existing approved routes your documents and microchip will be checked. If you’re not travelling on an approved route talk to your vet about what preparations you need to make before travel.

There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Pete

My Dog isn’t returning to the UK, he has a Spanish Pet Passport, he’s Spanish and he’s actually visiting the UK albeit with me who holds a British Passport and as I stated earlier the Spanish Vet hasn’t been informed of any changes.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
My Dog isn’t returning to the UK, he has a Spanish Pet Passport, he’s Spanish and he’s actually visiting the UK albeit with me who holds a British Passport

That doesn't matter, the fact remains that item one still stands in that your dog must have an existing EU pet passport or EU Health certificate
as I stated earlier the Spanish Vet hasn’t been informed of any changes.
That's because there has been no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Pete

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi this section is interesting in your link ( cut and paste below) not sure if it is saying that a new passport is required. Not something that has been mentioned to me in the past. You would think existing would be acceptable for up to ie 6 months.

Also is there going to be complexity in crossing boarders into other EU countries I.e moving from France to Italy etc. I am trying to plan for every scenario and I feel that the goal posts are moving a little.

Btw my blood test was £130.00

5.1.1.1. If the United Kingdom is listed by the Commission in accordance with Article 13(1) of Regulation (EU) No 576/201330
Pets moved into the EU-27 as of the withdrawal date will have to be accompanied by a duly filled-in third country pet passport, the model of which has been adopted by the Commission.31 This passport must attest a valid anti-rabies vaccination.32 33

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi this section is interesting in your link ( cut and paste below) not sure if it is saying that a new passport is required. Not something that has been mentioned to me in the past. You would think existing would be acceptable for up to ie 6 months.

If there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU. Consequently you must take your pet to a Official Veterinarian (OV), no more than 10 days before travel to get a health certificate.
Also is there going to be complexity in crossing boarders into other EU countries I.e moving from France to Italy etc. I am trying to plan for every scenario and I feel that the goal posts are moving a little.

Once you've entered the EU via a Travellers Point of entry you'll have no need to present your documentation again when crossing other EU borders.

Pete

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
.... but at the moment there is no 'Pet Reception' when entering France (via the tunnel), this was my query.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
No need to have both done. One of ours had the blood test at the time we got her PP done and result is in her PP.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You'd think there'd be a kind of "running in" period when they decide new rules.
There is .It is called the "Transition period" & what they are all arguing about "the Withdrawal agreement" over now.
Why do the UK government now require a blood test?, it makes no sense to me.
They don't the EU will now do & always have for animals transitting from unlisted countries , which is what the UK will be with no agreement.

They'll have to get a move on building another place for when entering France/leaving England.
That's because the UK side is not listed as an entry point under the agreements for entry into the EU from an unlisted country.
Unless of course they are going to require all with pets to stop on the French side ?
Or you can't use the train for entry until they sort it.

It’s a bloody mess and the UK are the culprits introducing more measures when it’s only them that check Pet Passports.
Your spanish dog,like mine, will require the blood test done here to be able to return from the UK into the EU. This is because in the event of a no -deal returning from the UK to spain will be classed the same as reurning to spain from Morocco.
What isn't clear ,& I have asked the question of DEFRA , is a UK dog requires a veterinary health check within 10 days of entering the EU but it does not state that on the part for 'returning EU pets' I have asked for clarification.

and as I stated earlier the Spanish Vet hasn’t been informed of any changes.
Because there isn't any yet,all guesswork, but no deal on the 29th & everything changes.
.... but at the moment there is no 'Pet Reception' when entering France (via the tunnel), this was my query.
Which as above either means it cannot be used as an entry point or they are going to have to do something UK side .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back