Payload confusion (4 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
This is the plated information on our motorhome inside the engine bay.
What do these 4 figures actually mean, and can I work out my payload from them as a rule of thumb.
Thanks.
2019-12-27 14.39.36.jpg

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I don't wish to uplate the vehicle at all, but thanks for the reply.
I am due to sell the van and just want to advertise it as accurately as I can.
Goodness knows there has been a lot written lately on people buying vans then finding they have almost no loading capacity for whatever.
Our van will probably suit a first timer motorhomer maybe with a small young family as it has 4 full forward facing belts and 2 rear facing lap belts, but I want to be as clear as I can with how much load they could carry.
Seems a fair few get this wrong or are given bad information by dealers or whoever, and then it's too late.
Just trying to be accurate with what we are about to sell.
As has been said, it's commendable that you want to provide a buyer with such detailed information, but at 3200Kg, adding two adults, a tank of fuel and half a tank of water I fear you are going to find the vehicle has little to no payload when you do put it on a weighbridge.

I hope I'm wrong, best of luck.

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My Hobby has 4 plates the Fiat manufacturers plate for the Chassis cab, the Alko plate, the converter Hobby plate and finally a chartered motor engineers uplate.
And the V5 was a shambles
It had 2axel when it was 3 (tag axel)
No engine number, weight wrong. All rectified when I up-plated it.
There are loads of tags registered incorrectly as 2axels, out of 10 random advertisements 8 were still reg as 2 axel’s.
I was told, when I queried this on one of my Trucks many years ago, that these were 'assist' axles (to spread the load)and not powered, so didn't count?

As these could be lifted by air on later trucks when not needed, perhaps they had a point, because then, what would be shown on the documents?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
As has been said, it's commendable that you want to provide a buyer with such detailed information, but at 3200Kg, adding two adults, a tank of fuel and half a tank of water I fear you are going to find the vehicle has little to no payload when you do put it on a weighbridge.

I hope I'm wrong, best of luck.

Cheers
Red.
I will let you know when its weighed.
Don't forget though that not everyone wants to take everything including the kitchen sink away with them when motorhoming, so adjust their use of their available payload accordingly.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
not everyone wants to take everything including the kitchen sink away with them when motorhoming,
Yes, some people are really strange. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Don't forget though that not everyone wants to take everything including the kitchen sink away with them when motorhoming, so adjust their use of their available payload accordingly.
Not sure what I would do without my kitchen sink?

Wash my socks and Long Johns while wearing them in the shower maybe? 😄

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Not sure what I would do without my kitchen sink?

Wash my socks and Long Johns while wearing them in the shower maybe? 😄
I usually leave mine on whilst in the Jacuzzi, but thinking about it, I think it's that which has pushed me over my payload.
Well , that and the sauna and dishwasher.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I usually leave mine on whilst in the Jacuzzi, but thinking about it, I think it's that which has pushed me over my payload.
Well , that and the sauna and dishwasher.
If I had a dishwasher, I could put my smalls and plates in there?
Now that's an idea! 😄

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
When we weighed our Bailey 68-2, two years ago GVW was 3460kg.
1/4 tank fresh water
full tank of diesel
2 x 6gk gas bottles
food and clothes for 12 days away

So not exactly a massive amount, only extra to moho is the tow bar (40 -50 kgs).

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
This is the plated information on our motorhome inside the engine bay.
What do these 4 figures actually mean, and can I work out my payload from them as a rule of thumb.
Thanks.
View attachment 885898
Weights & VIN plates are explained at https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia/post/weights-vin-plates. But, it won’t help with payload unless you know your unladen weight….
A weighbridge is needed!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Weights & VIN plates are explained at https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia/post/weights-vin-plates. But, it won’t help with payload unless you know your unladen weight….
A weighbridge is needed!
Thank you and yes this has been mentioned in previous responses.
It is a work in progress now the van is completely empty apart from 60 ltrs diesel, 40 ltrs water, 2 x 6kg full propane gas bottles and a fixed fire extinguisher, and then all the usual fixtures and fittings that are part of the van.
So that's 103kg I believe accounted for to be included in the unladen weight.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
captain yoghurtpot, if you are selling why don't you just sell to "we buy any motorhome" type place and let them worry about it ok so you get a bit less but at least you will have got rid, just a thought. Best of luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
captain yoghurtpot, if you are selling why don't you just sell to "we buy any motorhome" type place and let them worry about it ok so you get a bit less but at least you will have got rid, just a thought. Best of luck
Yes, it is an option, but having had a few discussions with similar outfits, and the trade, they would ideally like me to 'give' it away at the prices they want to offer, and it isn't ' a bit less' to the pricing I THINK I might get.
And, I fancy the idea of selling it myself and helping whoever buys it with how it all works and what they can expect , and what they SHOULD know, especially if new to motorhoming.
Just my way, and no rush needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
OK then, we'll, have made progress and have now had van weighed.
Van was weighed completely empty apart from the following:
All engine coolants, water and oils
60ltrs Diesel
30ltrs Fresh water
10ltrs Water in boiler
Full Washer bottle
1 spare wheel and tyre
1 Jack and winding handle
1 x 1ltr Fire Extinguisher
2 x 6kg Full Propane gas bottles
No person was sat in the van at all, and the certificated weight was given at 2600kg.
With a maximum gross mass at 3200kg from the vin plate, I believe this gives a payload of 600kg.
So not too shabby then. (y) :dance2:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back