Paying for things in France and Italy. (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I presume one no longer carries travellers cheques (can you even still get them?) so how do you keep your money secure and accessible in the road? We are going to France and Italy and do not intend to visit many towns, just villages and small sites. Will I be able to pay in most restaurants, bakeries and so on by card, or should I plan to use mostly cash and find some good hiding places? Which cards or bank accounts are good deals for spending Euros?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Too much faffing about to save the odd euro or two if you're only on holiday for a week or two.
I agree but the days of only going on holiday for a week or two are long gone. I spend weeks away at a time and having fee free cards saves a fortune. Revolut is just one of a number of cards I use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I agree but the days of only going on holiday for a week or two are long gone. I spend weeks away at a time and having fee free cards saves a fortune. Revolut is just one of a number of cards I use.
I understand the use if holidaying long time. However my clarity card is the only card I need in France and I I am here over a 120days à year. Clarity card gives me no fees, spot rate on everything I buy, its accepted everywhere and I don't have to tie up any hard earned cash...

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I use clarity card (Halifax) for years and always ask to pay in local currency the next you get that days rate found it was more expensive pay I bought sterling on card. I take £100 if I want more cash get it from a bank that has a new inside atm no chance of the scammers doctoring this her atm. Happy holiday. Left Barclay’s years ago they are for business users only in my opinion

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
OOps should have proof read before posting sure you understand it anyway that’s part of the fum???

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think anybody has mentioned the Tandem cash-back credit card, with net interbank rates on all overseas purchases. And it's not linked to a current account, so anybody can apply. We use ours for everything we can when abroad - which is the majority of spending for us. Only take a modest amount of cash.

The credit card can be ordered online and delivered fairly quickly, if credit score OK (I know you said that could be an issue thanks to Barclays, but still worth a try).

A feature we particularly like is the instant notification of each transaction on the phone, including the conversion to Sterling cost at the time of use. And of course the 0.5% cash-back on all spending, with no restriction or limits.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don't think anybody has mentioned the Tandem cash-back credit card, with net interbank rates on all overseas purchases. And it's not linked to a current account, so anybody can apply. We use ours for everything we can when abroad - which is the majority of spending for us. Only take a modest amount of cash.

The credit card can be ordered online and delivered fairly quickly, if credit score OK (I know you said that could be an issue thanks to Barclays, but still worth a try).

A feature we particularly like is the instant notification of each transaction on the phone, including the conversion to Sterling cost at the time of use. And of course the 0.5% cash-back on all spending, with no restriction or limits.
I have the Tandem card as well, I just can't help myself and use it quite a bit in the UK because of the 0.5% cash back.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We use a Caxton card and it’s great. The other day I bought some tram tickets with my bank debit card. Tram tickets were only €6.70 but the bank added a £1.25 charge!

Paul

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I carried up to 6K in euros around in my security pouch during our 2016 european trip. The secret to carrying lots of cash around is to look like you are worth €1.......

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back