Pay as You Go Sim in MiFI (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Before I go on, I have been through the search section and can't find the answer to my query.

I have just inserted a PAYG 3 sim into the 4g Huawei E5577C MiFi device and for some unknown (to me) reason I'm unable to get connectivity to my lap top or ipad.
I was under the impression that you don't need to register or set up an account if using a PAYG sim.

Never the less in my frustration I did try to register the sim via "Three.co.uk/triosim" as advised in the card if having problems, but when I enter the sim number it simply says card not recognised.

Do any of you more techy minded people have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, please.

I normally use either an EE or Vodaphone sim in the mifi device, but both of these have ran out of credit, and as I have the 3 sim in the drawer which I brought for emergencies thought I'd give it a go.

The sim is a 3 PAYG Internet with legs 24GB last up to 24months, which I purschased off Amazon about 6 months ago.

As always, thanking you in anticipation.

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I think it is simply that if you haven't used the sim in the last 6 months it will have expired. The data will last for 24 months, as long as it is used once every 6 months

Edit to say crossed with previous reply from Pappajohn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I have the same router. Quote from the quick start guide: "Your router is supplied unlocked and will accept any full sized SIM card"

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I assume you reset the MiFi to 3 network.
Usually you need to make a call, data or text within 6 months to keep the SIM active or you lose the number.
Thanks pappajohn. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm unsure what you mean "reset MiFi to 3 network" previously when I swap between other provider sims i.e. EE or Vodaphone I simply insert the sim and away I go.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Have you checked the APN setting are correct, they are supposed to set up automatically from the SIM but they don't always, Three SIM's always appear to be the most akward to get working.
Lenny thanks for your response. where and how do I check the APN settings. At the moment I'm tethered to my phone.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Have you tried using the Huawei Hi Link app to configure the mifi?

Screenshot_20210525-132353_Google Play Store.jpg

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi these are the 3 APN settings

Three apn Settings – Detailed information:

As mentioned, this is the latest APN Settings for 3 in the UK. Please be careful when entering them, as missing any word or dot will make them to malfunction.

Name: 3 Internet
APN: three.co.uk
Proxy: Not Required
Port: Not Required
Username: not required
Password: not required
Server: Not Required
MMSC: http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS proxy: mms.three.co.uk
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 234
MNC: 20
Authentication type: Not Required or just use the default value shown

You find this under the network menu on the MIFI

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you reset the MiFi to 3 network.
Usually you need to make a call or text within 6 months to keep the SIM active or you lose the number.
I think it is simply that if you haven't used the sim in the last 6 months it will have expired. The data will last for 24 months, as long as it is used once every 6 months
That's only applicable once the sim has been activated, until then it doesn't have a minimum use or expiry date.

Deleted User
Stupid comment alert *****!!!!!!!***** Have you tried turning it off and back on? I've sometimes done this when changing cards while abroad and it worked for me.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Stupid comment alert *****!!!!!!!***** Have you tried turning it off and back on? I've sometimes done this when changing cards while abroad and it worked for me.
Not stupid comment at all. We have had to do this sometimes after moving to different areas, or countries.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
........ you can also do it by logging in via a web browser.
Alberto power up your laptop and open your browser (I use Firefox but should work with any).
Enter 192.168.8.1 (think this is the address for your 5577c) and see if it connects to the mifi.
You'll be able to see if it's connected to the WWW or not.
Log-in to the mifi using the user name and password inside the back panel of the mifi and this gives you access to all the settings on the mifi unit.
You can check to see if the APN is set to 3 network.

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
That's only applicable once the sim has been activated, until then it doesn't have a minimum use or expiry date.
Yes I agree but it is worth while eliminating this possibility first, do we know if the OP tried the sim when he first got it? I got the same router yesterday, put a SIM card in and it just worked.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I agree but it is worth while eliminating this possibility first, do we know if the OP tried the sim when he first got it? I got the same router yesterday, put a SIM card in and it just worked.
Worth mentioning but I didn't want those who have these 24 month Three data sims to start panicking and activate them for the first time thinking they had to do it within 6 months of purchase.

I assumed from what the OP had said as it was for emergency use only so as his others have only just run out he had used it for the very first time, if not then it's likely timed out.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Alberto power up your laptop and open your browser (I use Firefox but should work with any).
Enter 192.168.8.1 (think this is the address for your 5577c) and see if it connects to the mifi.
You'll be able to see if it's connected to the WWW or not.
Log-in to the mifi using the user name and password inside the back panel of the mifi and this gives you access to all the settings on the mifi unit.
You can check to see if the APN is set to 3 network.
If you haven't changed the settings username and password are both "admin", You can also check the APN using the Huawei Hi app

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like some of the other posters, I have always inserted exactly the same 3 data SIMs into my mi-fi and they just worked.

However, I don't recall ever using any other type of SIM in the mi-fi, only the 3 version, of which I've had a few.

Hope you get it sorted. (y)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Does the sim work in your phone, just to check the sim is actually live.
...I was going to suggest the same thing! One of the PAYG SIM's we've used in our Huawei MIFI, you had to receive a code to unlock it before you could use it the first time. So that bit had to be done with the SIM loaded in a phone, then once enabled it could be transferred into the mifi.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks pappajohn. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm unsure what you mean "reset MiFi to 3 network" previously when I swap between other provider sims i.e. EE or Vodaphone I simply insert the sim and away I go.
As already posted, it's the 3 network APN settings in the MiFi menu.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As been suggested already. Make sure you have activated the simcard first.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I thought three send a text message to the MiFi unit as part of the registering process.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
As Barry says it's easy to change settings via the app, you can also do it by logging in via a web browser.
I am having problems with my E5577, it is not recognised by any laptops or tablets. It was working fine.
I have tried the 192.168.8. but because it is not connecting I cannot access the browser to change/check settings.
I will add that phones are a dark art to me and I know nothing about them.

Geoff

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ive just activated 3 data sims for my iPads.
i had to put the SIM into an unlocked mobile phone in order to receive a txt message with a temporary password from 3 as part of the SIM registration process - you can’t receive the text on an iPad, - so try that. Once you receive the registration password, you can enter this into the 3 website and complete registering the SIM, then put it in the data device (iPad or MiFi)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am having problems with my E5577, it is not recognised by any laptops or tablets. It was working fine.
I have tried the 192.168.8. but because it is not connecting I cannot access the browser to change/check settings.
I will add that phones are a dark art to me and I know nothing about them.

Geoff
Try a hard reset, reset button is under the back cover.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Try a hard reset, reset button is under the back cover.
Hi Lenny

Tried that a few times and told tablet to 'forget' the router, but no change. It is visible on laptop and tablet for only a few seconds, then disappears.
It is packaged up for return in the morning.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back