LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone I’m not sure if there is a thread on this; did a search but came up with pet passports and another was passport office. I wondered why some people are making a big deal about having their passport stamped.

Before covid-19 and Brexit I visited the EU only once a year and received no stamp in my passport.

But now it seems that some countries are stamping passports.
Is this a big deal or what? I can’t see the problem if some county wants to stamp my passport; what do you good people think?

Is it a big problem? Why are some people so adamant about not having their passport stamped that they carry a copy of EU / UK agreement with them.
Best Wishes Tony

Deleted User
Hi Everyone I’m not sure if there is a thread on this; did a search but came up with pet passports and another was passport office. I wondered why some people are making a big deal about having their passport stamped.

Before covid-19 and Brexit I visited the EU only once a year and received no stamp in my passport.

Is this a big deal or what? I can’t see the problem if some county wants to stamp my passport; what do you good people think?

Is it a big problem? Why are some people so adamant about not having their passport stamped that they carry a copy of EU / UK agreement with them.
Best Wishes Tony

I don't know that having your passport stamped on entry and exit to Schengen really matters because the passport will be scanned and your entries and exits will be logged on a database, that is important. If some countries stamp and some don't then they become valueless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There was a story in the Times this morning where Brits with residency in EU countries were complaining about passport stamps. One has taken to carrying the relevant part of the Withdrawal Agreement with him to stop passport officials stamping passports. They feel the stamps might confuse officials about their status in the future. .

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tony(Brakers)

In the past people who travelled a lot soon filled up their pages in passports and had to pay for another, or pay for the 96(?) page more expensive one on renewal. This easily happened when a visa, if required, took up a whole page.

When I worked for a company handling Aviation claims our surveyors were travelling a lot especially to Africa, ME and Asia so their passports filled up very quickly. Also we used to have to employ a company to obtain their visas for them or they could spend a day going into C. London to get one.

Geoff

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Tony(Brakers)

In the past people who travelled a lot soon filled up their pages in passports and had to pay for another, or pay for the 96(?) page more expensive one on renewal. This easily happened when a visa, if required, took up a whole page.

When I worked for a company handling Aviation claims our surveyors were travelling a lot especially to Africa, ME and Asia so their passports filled up very quickly. Also we used to have to employ a company to obtain their visas for them or they could spend a day going into C. London to get one.

Geoff
When I travelled a lot into some of those countries I used to have two 96 page passports one to travel on and one to be somewhere getting a visa usually for an African country.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I would guess (only guess) that if a border official stamps your passport they will also log you on the system as a visitor to Schengen, and that might cause trouble later, even if the stamp itself does not.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why are some people so adamant about not having their passport stamped that they carry a copy of EU / UK agreement with them.
It is a problem if you are a resident & they stamp it. You should be ensuring though that you present your residency certificate/card with your passport, if you need to show it.That then stops them stamping the passport,or should.
If they stamp it basically as a resident it creates a nightmare & in reality means you immediately need a new passport.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
From connexionfrance.com website: there is a pdf available on the website page as well. Edit: the screenshot is from the downloaded pdf not the website itself, apologies!
Screenshot_20210130-154006_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months

Best Wishes Tony
I think it could create large queues and delays at borders, especially ferry ports.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

Best Wishes Tony
The only country I can think of where a stamp is inyour passport is the Israeli one as some Arab countries deny you entry if they see one. For this reason the Israelis place a slip of paper inside so if you were to go to one of these Arabic countries you are OK later

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
The only country I can think of where a stamp is inyour passport is the Israeli one as some Arab countries deny you entry if they see one. For this reason the Israelis place a slip of paper inside so if you were to go to one of these Arabic countries you are OK later
My son-in-law has 2 passports working in various African countries as well as places like Israel. He once accidentally showed the “African” passport on entry to Israel and spent half a day in a back room being questioned about terrorism!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I've been to 43 different countries (plus several territories), many of them multiple times.
Quite a lot of countries still stamp passports (as you say, Israel stamps on removable paper)

The biggest users of the stamps are the Police, hotels and banks, all to ensure you have not overstayed your permitted time.

The Passport control don't care too much about the stamps much, as they electronically record your arrival and departure.

Anyone leaving the EU to come into the UK after 31st March without an EU arrival date is liable to find themselves with a problem. (Blocked re-entry into the EU and/or a fine)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I've been to 43 different countries (plus several territories), many of them multiple times.
Quite a lot of countries still stamp passports (as you say, Israel stamps on removable paper)

The biggest users of the stamps are the Police, hotels and banks, all to ensure you have not overstayed your permitted time.

The Passport control don't care too much about the stamps much, as they electronically record your arrival and departure.

Anyone leaving the EU to come into the UK after 31st March without an EU arrival date is liable to find themselves with a problem. (Blocked re-entry into the EU and/or a fine)

You could be right.

I must remember to take my Polish Residence Permit with me - if they produce the application forms by then.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Hmmm, I have two passports, Does that mean I can do 4 90 day trips a year to EU, surely there is more checks than just passport number?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
There was a story in the Times this morning where Brits with residency in EU countries were complaining about passport stamps. One has taken to carrying the relevant part of the Withdrawal Agreement with him to stop passport officials stamping passports. They feel the stamps might confuse officials about their status in the future. .
Yes Jim . As a legal resident your passport should not be stamped as you are not limited to 90 day restriction in your country of residence but you should also have your relèvent card of residence .

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Back in 1990 Mum and I went to Sri Lanka and the flight back was diverted to the Maldives due to the possibility of the start of the Gulf War. As mum and I had been to Israel two years previously and our passports had been stamped, no one was allowed to leave the aircraft for the planned breakfast stop and we were treated to airline biscuits to keep us going..... (Subsequently, due to further diversions, our eleven hour flight turned into 21 hours).

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Tony(Brakers)

Geoff
The version with the extra pages is only £10 more than the standard passport.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I would guess (only guess) that if a border official stamps your passport they will also log you on the system as a visitor to Schengen, and that might cause trouble later, even if the stamp itself does not.
Valid point, if you have a stamp on entry but not on exit it could look like you have overstayed your 90 days...
I would hope the IT systems overcome this potential problem of course but could just see a zealous anglophobe functionary enjoying that issue.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hmmm, I have two passports, Does that mean I can do 4 90 day trips a year to EU, surely there is more checks than just passport number?
If they are 2 uk ones then they should be linked. Same as if you change your name the other name/s are all noted. If One is Uk & the other Polish , Irish then you'd be using that as EU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back