LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In these threads:

I described my faltering attempts to master Arduino programming and subsequently building a solar powered tracker to attach to a small(ish) balloon. After various mishaps and setbacks I am now in a position to attempt to launch the balloon tomorrow. The weather forecast suggests very low winds at ground level, which is essential for a balloon with only 3g of free lift - meaning it will rise slowly.

If I can get it to fly, the predicted flight path will look something like this:

scrn2.jpg.png

I think only the first part of the flight can be reliably predicted so I am expecting it to cross the Channel and enter France then probably fly south. Where it goes after that depends to quite a large extent on what altitude it reaches. Anything over 7,000m will be good and 8,000m very good.

The biggest unknown is whether the radio will work once aloft. It is solar powered and therefore needs to get above the clouds, which it should, but its signals will have to be picked up by the network of TTN gateways spread around Europe. There are a lot of gateways but not many have antenna mounted outside, the majority are indoors which isn't much help.

But the only way to find out is to launch and see what happens.

I'll report back once it has been launched with any progress reports. If any progress is made of course! :)

Deleted User
I look forward with interest to hearing more about this, a great project.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I wish you the best of luck.

Could it be tracked by using Flight path App?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wish you the best of luck.

Could it be tracked by using Flight path App?
Sadly not, its a different system and on different frequencies. The main aircraft systems in Europe use 1090MHz and I'm using 868MHz. The data is also in a different format. I guess some clever soul could write an application to convert the data format but that's beyond me. :)

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Congratulations to you, how intriguing and interesting. Well done

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wow so higher than you were hoping for?
Yes, for a single 50p balloon it has done very well and now levelled off at around 8,900m. :) The pressure in the balloon is probably around 0.3 to 0.4 psi but it has been tested to 0.6 and was held above 0.5 for 24 hours so it should last a bit longer.

Sadly I think we will lose contact with it soon as the sun goes down, which means, assuming it stays afloat a bit longer, it will probably make landfall in the night which I would have liked to have seen. The mission only had two objectives:

To get aloft and communicate with gateways at long range - tick

Cross the Channel - not yet ticked.

Anything beyond that is a bonus. :)

It will be awaiting game to see if it wakes up with tomorrow's sun and lets us know where it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Contact was lost at 17:45 which was later than I expected. The sun would have only been about 16 degrees high at that point according to a website I found. It didn't quite make landfall before shutting down.

scrn8.png

If it survives the night, and I'm pretty confident it will as it has held a steady altitude for several hours which suggests no leaks then it should wake up tomorrow morning and tell us where it is. :) The website I use to predict the path suggests it might be somewhere around Bordeaux when that happens.

I'm looking forward to finding out where it gets to. :)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
This is not fair,. Keeping us in suspense all night!!!!

Thanks for sharing, really interesting what can be done with such a small bit of electronics.

Deleted User
Is there a message in a bottle attached :giggle:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If it's heading toward Bordeaux of its own accord it sure has impeccable taste as far as wine is concerned.;)

Great project John.(y)

I bet you won't sleep too well tonight:giggle:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's heading toward Bordeaux of its own accord it sure has impeccable taste as far as wine is concerned.;)

Great project John.(y)

I bet you won't sleep too well tonight:giggle:
I'll check as soon as I'm awake! :) It will be interesting to see when it awakes. As it went to bed at 17:45 can I assume it might be awake at 06:15? I suspect not but after 07:00 to 07:30 perhaps? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back