Our solution for rubbish Ducato speedo (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I agree. Large font, accurate and easy to install. One of the best additions I have made.
Do you have to use it in hud mode? I had one a few years ago, you had to stick a gauze on the screen, which got in the way, or use it on the screen without, which caused a double image. I'd much rather have in on the dash as a simple visible gauge, like a pod.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We (Manic) use the speed display on the satnav as itā€™s more accurate via GPS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We (Manic) use the speed display on the satnav as itā€™s more accurate via GPS.
I agree but you do have to be a bit careful because GPS can lose accuracy when it loses contact with some of the satellites. This is most likely to happen in narrow cuttings and sometimes with tree cover or tall buildings. The satellites are moving across the sky so loss of accuracy is not consistent and not confined to particular locations. I have noticed that the roadside speed displays agree with my GPS speed rather than my vehicle speedometer.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
This has been an absolute godsend on our trip around France. Can now see km/h clearly and even in sunshine.
Uses free phone apps and cheap clamp off eBay.
View attachment 896792
I suspect that this set up may be illegal in UK as your screen appears to impede your vision through the windscreen. certainly seen adverts for similar clamps on FB and many of the comments support my statement.

Gordon

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I suspect that this set up may be illegal in UK as your screen appears to impede your vision through the windscreen. certainly seen adverts for similar clamps on FB and many of the comments support my statement.

Gordon
If his head whilst driving is at the same height as the phone you might be correct however I rather expect it's at least a couple of feet higher, I have a tablet holder with an 8" tablet in it on the dash above my steering wheel and can still see the bottom of my windscreen so no loss of forward vision, I also have a phone holder with the speed app displayed at just below eye level but it aligns with the windscreen pillar so again no loss of visibility.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
MOT testers seem to disconnect or even move anything directly in front of the driver whether it is impending line of sight or not.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Snap. Simple, no set up, easily seen and faultless.
Same here.

I used the very same on 4 different vans. 2 Fiats 1 Peugeot and now the VW Crafter also used on the Ford Focus.
10 years of use and never had any faults thrown up on any vehicle that some are talking about.

As the Crafter has digital display for speed Iā€™ve just given ours away to the Expawers when we were talking to them in Spain.

I can only recommend there use as a very good way of keeping within the speed limit

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have used sat nav for speed ever since I had to go back to non digital.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Do you have to use it in hud mode? I had one a few years ago, you had to stick a gauze on the screen, which got in the way, or use it on the screen without, which caused a double image. I'd much rather have in on the dash as a simple visible gauge, like a pod.
This one has to be used as a HUD as it has a reverse image. My projection screen is against the o/s windscreen pillar In my eyeline but not obstructing forward vision. Works a treat.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I use something similar on the car, unfortunately our 2001 ducato doesn't have an odb socket that i can find. The advantage is that they display the same as your speedo on the vehicle, so not affected by any gps signal issues.
I have a 2021 Fiat, and plugging into the OBD port gives a variety of errors from the ECU. Generally the GPS speed is more accurate than the vehicle speedo, which always reads under the actual speed.

20240130_220907[1].jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
must be the Spanish sun.. or the brightness in your cabin.. mine is ok .. light blue on a dark background.. it's also the 3 inch screen model
Yes it is the external brightness that is main problem. Checked this morning & when you are looking at the road ahead & transfer to the nextbase it is the same as walking from bright sun in to a dark room.you cannot see it .& it doesn't get any better as you are still looking towards the brightness all around the camera. & mine is same blue with 3" screen.

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!

Gordon
I sit well above the screen. Considering how many people you see with phones suckered to the windscreen at eye level itā€™s not an issue. And itā€™s not needed in the uk as I can read the MPH.

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I sit well above the screen. Considering how many people you see with phones suckered to the windscreen at eye level itā€™s not an issue. And itā€™s not needed in the uk as I can read the MPH.
Pleased to hear that šŸ™‚

However, Iā€™m sure you will agree that just because other people use phones illegally and dangerously isnā€™t a reason for anyone else to break the law ā˜¹ļø

Gordon

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Diabalo.
Ours is a HUD. but very similar to your unit,but not as Posh.. :ROFLMAO: . daughter got it from somewhere, i think she paid 11 Euros. It does what it says on the tin. Mounted/Stuck ( Sticker strip came with it (y)) on a small piece of carpet square ,held down by a Self Tapper that is a tightish fit ( Not a mark to be seen) into the Air vent on top of the dashboard. So........ It would appear i am joining the " Tech " race at last. Works a treat. To be fair...... At that price i had my doubts,but, cross checking ( If and when ) i could see/read the Fiat speedo ,by taking my shoes and socks of,f an doing some counting/adding/subtracting counting my fingers and toes............. Its Spot on...... If using the Poles/Perches/Rods Display... JOKING !!
Tea Bag.
PS. " An old Blaster Bates " Tale..... The police were following him and pulled him over,he said.." I KNEW i was only doing 30mph cos' the ammeter was charging at 15 Amps... " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:šŸš›šŸš›

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's all very well finding a work-around for the Fiat speedo display but we should not be having to do so.
It amazes me that they managed to get away with such an awful solution for something that I believe is a legal requirement (to display the road speed).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi Diabalo.
Ours is a HUD. but very similar to your unit,but not as Posh.. :ROFLMAO: . daughter got it from somewhere, i think she paid 11 Euros. It does what it says on the tin. Mounted/Stuck ( Sticker strip came with it (y)) on a small piece of carpet square ,held down by a Self Tapper that is a tightish fit ( Not a mark to be seen) into the Air vent on top of the dashboard. So........ It would appear i am joining the " Tech " race at last. Works a treat. To be fair...... At that price i had my doubts,but, cross checking ( If and when ) i could see/read the Fiat speedo ,by taking my shoes and socks of,f an doing some counting/adding/subtracting counting my fingers and toes............. Its Spot on...... If using the Poles/Perches/Rods Display... JOKING !!
Tea Bag.
PS. " An old Blaster Bates " Tale..... The police were following him and pulled him over,he said.." I KNEW i was only doing 30mph cos' the ammeter was charging at 15 Amps... " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:šŸš›šŸš›
But you need a decent speedo at the warp speeds you cruise at.:rofl:

We keep all of the windows in the back blacked out to stop reflections whilst driving
I have no real windows in the back & black out curtains behind cab seats. It is the sheer brilliance of the sun coming through the windscreen. I had to fit an external sun visor to reduce the amount at the highest point.It ,hopefully,will be far better when I fit a 'slide out' to my sun visor to fill the gap between the two visors.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
But you need a decent speedo at the warp speeds you cruise at.:rofl:

I have no real windows in the back & black out curtains behind cab seats. It is the sheer brilliance of the sun coming through the windscreen. I had to fit an external sun visor to reduce the amount at the highest point.It ,hopefully,will be far better when I fit a 'slide out' to my sun visor to fill the gap between the two visors.
Hi gus-lopez.
Tell you what....... " 80 kmh " is NOT fast enough..... So...... In the interests of staying focused and alert i travel at 120kmh ( Plus..) .DON'T TELL THE GNR !!...... " Kummin THREW "
Tea Bag......... So far....oooops Fast.... so good . :rolleyes:
PS.... OR JENNIFER !!

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Itā€™s called Speedmeter, though the speed limit function isnā€™t as accurate as our vans Satnav. There are lots to choose from, but I liked the clean large display which is in my line of vision.
I use the Speedometer 55 app and upgraded to the Pro version. Itā€™s so much easier to read than the van speedometer. You can customise the display to show various other information too (heading, altitude, date, time etc). Kph or mph. Optional speed alerts. I use it every time I drive.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I used a Demon Tweaks GPS speedo, mounts nicely on the air vent and easily switched to km if required.
Good news is the speedo in the latest Ducato is a zillion times better - big white display

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000

Use one of these, have it mounted on the top of the front blinds top rail.
Thereā€™s a slot to mount to the sucker that fits a small no. 6 screw head!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use our Garmin Camper SatNav for speed indication both at home and abroad.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
I'm all in for any gadgets so I can understand all your equipment, but I'd still like to ask what is so rubbish about Ducato's speedo? For me it has been as good as any.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back