Omnistor storm strap fitting????? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
We have an Omnistor 6200 wind out canopy and we want to get securing storm straps to fit.
I’ve looked on the Omnistor website and it shows the strapping fitted to the top of the support leg - through the aluminium bracket by the hinge. Is this where you fit yours????
Looking at it I just thought the bracket, where it supports/joins to the rail, looked a little ‘flimsy’ to withstand the potential tugging by wind lifting the canopy. Not looking to secure in a force 9 - just curious.

As always, any recommendations/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Trikeman.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They come with a z shaped fitting that gets hold nicely, works well on ours

What does seem odd on their instructions they suggest pegging in line with the front rail, rather than out to the front or at 45 degrees as I would have thought

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best type are the ones which slide into the groove in the aluminium front cover. No stress on any part unless over tightened then the leg top swivels suffer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Best type are the ones which slide into the groove in the aluminium front cover. No stress on any part unless over tightened then the leg top swivels suffer.
Doesn’t this assume that the groove in the aluminium is sufficiently strong? I must admit when we had this type on a Fiamma I was less confident in it than I am with the Omnistor fitting we have now.

But like Will I would always play it safe on winding in.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doesn’t this assume that the groove in the aluminium is sufficiently strong? I must admit when we had this type on a Fiamma I was less confident in it than I am with the Omnistor fitting we have now.

But like Will I would always play it safe on winding in.
Sorry, just seen this.
The front rail isn't like the monkey metal aluminium used on the legs, the front rail is a solid one piece extrusion and there's no chance of bending the lip of the groove with a tie down strap.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thule supply both types the ones that latch into the front leg and the type that go over the arms. If you are in a tight space the ones over the arms are better as you can peg the straps out to the sides.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thule supply both types the ones that latch into the front leg and the type that go over the arms. If you are in a tight space the ones over the arms are better as you can peg the straps out to the sides.

the instructions on the box for the one that fits into the leg tells you to peg out to the side, I am not convinced but it is written in pictures for the disbelieving like me :LOL:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve used both and don’t feel any are that robust enough to leave an awning out anymore. I like others, many years ago, had a rude awakening at 2 in the morning.

The strap that goes over should be weaved under the canopy but over the arms of the awning. Can tear the awning canvas if put over the top! The other type looked decided flimsy and I did wonder whether they would do the job of staying in the leg. They do, to my surprise and I will use this method as a preference, as it’s easy to retract quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back