Oh dear no rear lights

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Posts
10,063
Likes collected
67,846
Funster No
64,882
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Well it was wash the van day today

So after a run out and £155 fuel bill with no warning lights or issues it wash time

I got to the rear end and noticed the rear offside light cluster was loose

So finished washing the van making sure no water was near the lights and reversed it.back onto the drive.

Waited for it to dry off before opening the doors and checking the securing screws

Looes as 20 year old knicker elastic.

Tightened it up and put the insulation back in checked the lights nothing

I have indicators but no tail lights on either side

I'm wondering could there be a connection loose/disconnected

It's got to be something simple as it was fine last week .

There's no urgency as it on the drive but there are no bulb out warnings on the dashboard Which us odd

I have had a towbar fitted but the bike rack.light have been fine .

I plan to check everything tomorrow hope the weather stays dry
 
If you have moisture causing a short the BCM will kill power to all the light circuit to protect itself. You may find the working lights quickly light before it kills the power.

I’d leave it overnight and check tomorrow. If still not working, take out the light that was loose and remove plug from it and see if then the other lights then work. That will involve turning off the lights and then operating them again. They won’t just light up after the BCM has cut the power. It tests each time circuit is operated.
 
Our left rear light unit has played up in the past.
Tow bar electrics scotch blocked into wiring loom .
Some if not all the connectors were dodgy as hell. Get your lights on and have someone at the back watching as you bend and twist the wiring .
See if anything changes.
 
Thanks guys .I'll take a methodical look at it to.morrow.

If I'd washed it easier I would have.had more time before the light faded

Kicking myself
 
Messed about checked all connectors and lights all working

Always handy to make sure you have a heavy
item to rest on the brake pedal when you can't get close enough to the garage door to see the reflection ..

Both rear lights..... Fuse.
Didn't get to the fuses started at the light cluster as I'd already removed all the caseing
and insulation but thankyou that would have been my next stop
Our left rear light unit has played up in the past.
Tow bar electrics scotch blocked into wiring loom .
Some if not all the connectors were dodgy as hell. Get your lights on and have someone at the back watching as you bend and twist the wiring .
See if anything changes.
Checked the connections no one around to help my friends are in work so a heavy object was used on the break pedal ....most women carry a handbag.

With that no bulb failure light I would suspect the towbar wiring.
Put the bike rack in that's working fine as well before you tell me to check it
If you have moisture causing a short the BCM will kill power to all the light circuit to protect itself. You may find the working lights quickly light before it kills the power.

I’d leave it overnight and check tomorrow. If still not working, take out the light that was loose and remove plug from it and see if then the other lights then work. That will involve turning off the lights and then operating them again. They won’t just light up after the BCM has cut the power. It tests each time circuit is operated.
Perfectly dry but there a few cobwebs

Thanks for all your suggestions . I hope any more issues are this easy to resolve .it's always good to know that I'm on the right lines

Your thoughts helped me check it methodically and saved a lot of sweary words and the dealer getting another load of bad vibes being sent with my witchy powers
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top