Oh Dear, I'm at it again another moan about my van. (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are really helpful at bad waldsee.
If there is anything else you need doing get them to do it.
My damp check was about eur 90.
Interesting Sue. I wonder how close to the anniversary of sale the damp check has to be done. We bought in November and I am not sure I fancy going to Bad Waldsee at that time of year, as the it looks a bit close to the Alps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting Sue. I wonder how close to the anniversary of sale the damp check has to be done. We bought in November and I am not sure I fancy going to Bad Waldsee at that time of year, as the it looks a bit close to the Alps.
1st check 12 to 18 months from dateof purchase then every 12 months +/- month.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Afternoon Graham

I think you must address your thing as shown by Lenny HB. You should also indicate that you have had no success visiting their UK dealers who persist in giving you the run around.

The experiences of many funsters on here paints and appalling picture of it seems just about every UK dealer. These dealers knew the deal when they sought and obtained the various franchises. The inflated UK prices are such to cover "warranty" work. Though by the look of things, they all need tuition in how to conduct a pre delivery inspection. It seems to me that they can not be inspecting the vehicles when delivered to the franchise where a thorough shake down should occur and a refusal to accept those which do not measure up.

I am in the fortunate position of owning an older camping car which perhaps the previous owner(s) had the pleasure of putting right in her youth!

Consideration should be given not by just you Graham but the many others whose tales on here make my hair (what's left of it) curl, to involving trading standards. Afterall we are paying their wages (and a significant amount into their pensions) through our local and national taxation.

I think my moan must be on a par with yours now. Good luck and use the email address @Lenny HB has given to get this sorted before the season starts!

That feels better!

Clive
Don't tar every dealer with the same brush Clive. I have had a very good service from the Hymer dealer I bought my motorhome from (Becks in Norfolk) both before and after the sale. I was also impressed with my dealings with another Hymer dealer (Premier in Chichester), although I did not buy anything from them in the end.

If I was in Graham's shoes I would phone those first to see if they are willing to help him. If they were not, I would do what others have suggested, i.e. contact the Hymer dealer in Bad Waldsee (not Hymer themselves) and ask for an appointment so that they could look at the problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
1st check 12 to 18 months from dateof purchase then every 12 months +/- month.
Bugger. If I had known about the 12-18 months for the first one I could have got it done in the spring, and then gone on from there. Still that means mid October at the latest. Does anybody know what the climate is like in Bad Waldsee at that time of the year?

Edit. Thinking about it we could go there on our way back from out autumn trip ........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bugger. If I had known about the 12-18 months for the first one I could have got it done in the spring, and then gone on from there.
Something UK dealer don't want you to know, if you mention it to them they alway denie it, rip off Britian again.
Does anybody know what the climate is like in Bad Waldsee at that time of the year?
Quite nice this week but normally cold, wet & snow this time of year.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Something UK dealer don't want you to know, if you mention it to them they alway denie it, rip off Britian again..
I never asked them so can't blame them. I just booked the damp check.

Quite nice this week but normally cold, wet & snow this time of year.
I was thinking of October time, rather than January

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Just another thought, although not a Hymer agent I hear great things about Peter at
Broken Link Removed
A chat on the phone could be time well spent.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ahh, the old paper test, glad it worked for you.

Have a look at this link...

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=8

There may be a seal on here, or they may be able to advise you. They are not the only seal supplier. I googled "motorhome door seals".

Might be cheaper to just bite the bullet and replace the seal yourself now you have demonstrated that is where the problem lays.

If you take the seal off, you can measure the size of aperture remaining by closing the door (without seal) on a nice "wadge" of Plasticine (other brands available:D). you can measure the aperture in several places to get a seal that will match the worst case gap.

Just might be easier (warranty or not) than chasing dealers/manufacturers. The most important thing is to protect your motorhome from more water ingress. It can't be doing the floor any good.

Best wishes

Dennis

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Got to be honest, I’d throw an old towel in the garage and try all the various fixes on here first, it must be something simple judging by your “in garage” investigations. There is something you could try though, if the door is not closing tightly enough at the top there is a black plastic block on the inside that the lock handle tightens onto, check this is not loose first (mine has been a couple of times) it is held on to the van by two screws, you could try making a thin spacer to go behind this block which would result in the door closing more tightly onto the seal at the top. Just a thought! Good luck.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
< Don't tar every dealer with the same brush Clive. >

Quite right Peter. My post did not tar all. It is always good to read the positive reports on here sadly not enough of them.

You and I have the advantage of Johns Cross not far from either of us. I have always received excellent service there.

Clive

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I agree with @peterc10 and @Cleve not all dealers are the same. I have had excellent after sales service with my Hymer from Premier and they might even be the nearest Hymer dealer to the op. Can’t hurt to give them a call and at least see what they have to say.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Peter

I am down on the Marsh. Glad you asked as I looked at my panel and see that my location is not shown. I must have cleared it when I revised my bits.

The only problem I have at JC's is I am always about 10 miles into my journey back when I remember about our Motorhome discount. To much excitement.

It is very windy down here at the moment. Blowing a constant 35 knots and gusting higher! I think my weather station will be lucky not to be blown away.

Sorry Graham did not mean to hijack thread.

Meanwhile back at Graham's moan .....

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
thanks but unfortunately as useful as a chocolate fireguard :D2

The statistics shown are for somewhere 85km away from Bad Waldsee on the Swiss border, which they say is the nearest weather station. It is a ski resort high up in the Alps so very different climate, as can be seen from the average maximum temperature, which is below zero for most of the year

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Pete

It is very windy down here at the moment. Blowing a constant 35 knots and gusting higher! I think my weather station will be lucky not to be blown away.

I know it can be very bleak on the Romney Marsh. I was based at Llydd (Pretentiously known now as Ashford International Airport) back in 1967 and !969 flying the car ferries, but elected to live in Rye, in a cottage on the West side of Church Square. Is the fudge shop on the North side still there?

Never did the RHDR when I was there but ticked it off my 'Bucket List' 2 years ago - in the First Class carriage that HM The Queen used.:D

Where exactly do you live?

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know it can be very bleak on the Romney Marsh. I was based at Llydd (Pretentiously known now as Ashford International Airport) back in 1967 and !969 flying the car ferries, but elected to live in Rye, in a cottage on the West side of Church Square. Is the fudge shop on the North side still there?

Never did the RHDR when I was there but ticked it off my 'Bucket List' 2 years ago - in the First Class carriage that HM The Queen used.:D

Geoff
It now calls itself London Ashford Airport. So even more pretentious.

Both of you really should try to get on the next yearly funster meet in the car park of the New Romney Station on the RHDR. But you need to be quick because it fills up fast.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Duckboards might work, I cannot use the rubber mat as that hold the water all over the whole surface. At least it is a glass fibre floor and not going to rot out like wood.
Nobody is using me to soak up water..... or @Puddleduck or indeed @SpeedyDux and any others..... That really is very poor and not acceptable in any van, let alone a premium brand. I checked mine and it seems to have what can be best described as two stage closing. Best of luck with getting it fixed

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

Geoff
God you must be old, My dad flew from there with Silver City , and I would spend a lot of time there and Lympne before and after that. I was 8 then and 68 now.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
God you must be old, My dad flew from there with Silver City , and I would spend a lot of time there and Lympne before and after that. I was 8 then and 68 now.

Was Dad passenger or pilot?

I am 75, so not that much older than you and only started flying training when I was 23, so the other First Officers were much younger.

I was based there when 25.

Geoff

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
He was cabin steward, then following a crash he went to Ferryfield with them loading the cars, then left , and went to Skyways back at Lympne. where he took over the catering in the Restaurant.
A long time ago but I still remember being hauled up the ladder into the cockpit of the Freighters.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just phoned Lowdhams about my leaking doors, saying I could drop in on the way to wales this week for someone to see the problem. The reply was I must make an appointment with them and leave it for two days and that they MUST do a complete dampcheck at £150 so that they can put a claim in to the Factory, It is not damp check I want it is the waterfall coming inthe garagedoors because of a badly fitting seal and a broken catch. I am not going 250 miles and leave it there for their convenience. All I wanted is a look at to check what is needed. What does one do in the outskirts of Nottingham for two day? Take it up with the car and drive home and back again? Sod them, I will find my own way around it. Other Hymer dealers are also a long way away from me and do not want to touch another dealers sale. I think the so called waranty is a farce to make money from a check again that is not needed. 20 minutes with a damp meter, £150 do not even get a hose out from what I understand, have it in summer and perfect result.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just had my second annual damp check and underbody spray done , it's a condition of the 7 year warranty to have it done annually for 5 years.
Not cheap but necessary.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just had my second annual damp check and underbody spray done , it's a condition of the 7 year warranty to have it done annually for 5 years.
Not cheap but necessary.
Only necessary to make money for basically doing very little, they do not even put a hose pipe over it, they also said it must have a full habitation Service done by them every year as well. When It went back to have the big leak on my drop down bed done it could have been checked then. Just had Huddersfield on the phone confiriming that it is a back to base warranty. The 7 year warranty is not a warranty is a dealer savings plan in case it leaks in that time and also on a sliding scale cost system where their contribution drop down every year.
If it was done properly in the first place it would not need checking every year as for the under body spray, I have yet to find out What the spray does to a fibreglass underbody, anybody actually know.?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Not cheap but necessary.
I agree Larry, it's expensive, but in the grand scheme of things it's not an enormous amount when you consider what you have paid out for a new motorhome in the first place.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had ours in with Lowdhams at Gunthorpe, where we bought it from, late last year as we had water in the lower rear locker and they claimed twice from Hymer for a new locker door and seals, once at two years old and the second at three years old.
I insisted they investigate further, as I did not believe the door was the problem. Plus we had found water coming in through the rear wardrobe area.
It was booked in for three weeks around November time so they could do a full water stress test on it.
I made it very clear I would not be paying anything as it has the warranty, we do get the ingress check done each year at £135.
They found the cycle rack mounting points to be leaking, an easy fix that appears to have 95% sorted it. No charge.
I say 95% as there is still some evidence of a small amount of water getting in to the locker, that I am sure is due to the hinges acting like gutters catching water as it runs down the side.
When I open the rear locker door water runs out of the seals on the left side, bearing in mind this locker door hinges are on the top of the frame not the side and opens upwards. I will be putting a the stick on drip strip gutter on when it's a bit warmer.
I'm at a loss as to why they spray underneath when everything is plastic under there though.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
@GWAYGWAY - what model & year is your Hymer - is it the same as mine ( I have a 2016 Merc Hymer ML-I 580) and the garage seals are well watertight
HYMER_ML_I_2018_Freisteller_3_4_vorne.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Only necessary to make money for basically doing very little, they do not even put a hose pipe over it, they also said it must have a full habitation Service done by them every year as well. When It went back to have the big leak on my drop down bed done it could have been checked then. Just had Huddersfield on the phone confiriming that it is a back to base warranty. The 7 year warranty is not a warranty is a dealer savings plan in case it leaks in that time and also on a sliding scale cost system where their contribution drop down every year.
If it was done properly in the first place it would not need checking every year as for the under body spray, I have yet to find out What the spray does to a fibreglass underbody, anybody actually know.?

You may unfortunately be having problems getting your dealer to resolve the leak issue but for me if I do not get the damp check and underbody spray then any future damp problems I might experience would not be warranted within the 7 years.
However unnecessary and expensive the annual check and spray may appear to you, to me it is vital for the warranty.
I hope you can get it sorted soon.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
He was cabin steward, then following a crash he went to Ferryfield with them loading the cars, then left , and went to Skyways back at Lympne. where he took over the catering in the Restaurant.
A long time ago but I still remember being hauled up the ladder into the cockpit of the Freighters.

Apologise for not responding earlier - had a couple of things distracting me just after your post - back on track now.

'Crash'? aircraft or car?

I never flew into Lymne - not even on diversion - Skyways usually had to divert down off the hill to Lydd.

You would not have wanted to go up that ladder when we were carrying livestock - we had to walk over the pens, and pigs sweat when they get nervous, so the ladder was wringing wet. We got paid 50p/hour extra for the privilege - calculated from take-off to landing, i.e. 20 mins. to Le Touquet.

As you can imagine moving to BEA on Viscounts felt like luxury, especially the performanc and 4 engines. I was not sorry to see the back of Lydd - and the Freighters - one has just come back from NZ to Bristol Aerospace Museum for restoration - should have buried it.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back