Oh Dear, I'm at it again another moan about my van. (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It does look as if the top seal could be compressed more than it is, maybe by the hinges being raised a little, if there is any scope for this.
Whilst I agree with comments about it being returned to the dealer under warranty, I have little faith in Lowdhams.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps worth speaking to Premier Motorhomes near Chichester. I think they are nearer to you than Lowdhams and I have had excellent service from them on my Hymer.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I live near to Lowdhams and feel that they are more interested in shifting units than looking after the after sales issues. They are now selling Airstream caravans and Ssanyong cars in addition to all the other marques for which they are agents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It is still under warranty but I have a good mind the forget Lowdhams as they are 300 miles away and go to the factory itself and demand a satisfactory resolution, however they are also a long way plus a tunnel fare.

I think that is the option I would take.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Test the seal by placing strips of paper over and around the edge of the door and close the door. All the strips should be firmly held by the seal. if you can pull any of them out, the seal will leak at this / these points.

If you are doing this on your own, try one strip of paper and move it along progressively closing the door each time and test the tension on the paper as you try to pull it out. Takes a bit of patience but it will give you an idea of wether the seal is doing it's job or do you need to look somewhere else.

Good luck

Dennis

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Graham

Very disappointed to learn of your trials. I think as a resident of Rip Off Britain, the best thing you can do is follow Lenny's and others advice and take it home to Germany.

You have the time and after the fix you you take a leisurely drive back - maybe be able to use the Post Office Card on some shopping. A trip to the factory could help with both of these problems.

I think you must be due some good luck by now!

Clive

PS As you know I am only a few miles from you and have suffered the same gales and horrendous rain and both Helen (35) and Hecate (17) have remained bone dry throughout. Hecate has a large sort of garage door at the rear and that was into wind. If your young lady does not want to go I would be happy to ride shot gun with you.

image.jpeg

I know the door is not as big as yours but it managed ok. Cheers Clive

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
As above posts ... the seals have small holes so water can be dumped on the bottom frame of the garage door ..This is fine . However with excessive rain & wind the "lip" on the door cannot compensate for extra water & water will drop into the garage ..
I have this on mine but only when wind & rain are on the direction of door ... Not a prob but I suppose ya could drill small pilot holes through to garage deck to allow water to flow & escape through deck. ..

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@GWAYGWAY @milliethehymer is spot on I had the same problem on a new m/h a rollateam 746 they replaced the seals twice and when they did find out it was the joint over the side and back I p/xit and now have a shit GERMAN A CLASS ray xx lol still lol we get a lot of leeks in WALES :madder::madder::madder::madder:

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
As I was reading down the same thought entered my mind.

We have a N+B and our garage door requires a push with a knee to even get the catches to close, due to the need to compress the seal.

How tight does yous feel when closing the catches?

Even if the seal is hthe correct one have you thought of fitting a thicker seal - would be cheaper than a drive to Lowdhams.

Geoff

Put a price of draught excluder ( sticky) on the seal,, may be a decent temp fix!!

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I'm not sure if the Hymer Mlis have the same GRP garage floor system and water tank design as the Exsis? However, on the Exsis there is a common problem with the water tank inspection hatch leaking when the tank is full. This then drains straight into the garage area when the van is parked on a slope. Several people on the forum have had this problem which looks just like a leaking door seal.
I found the leak at the rear of the garage and when I sat in and checked it was coming along the top and rear side of the door seal and running down the door itself, it tried tightening the pull lock but that didn't work and the locks at the bottom is not working properly at all now from having to turn it a bit harder the plastic and metal bit seem a ' bit disconnected@ ie they turn seperately now and a it is not as secure. The gutter I put on when it leaked badly and it looked like the water was then funning through the rear vertical seal. Heavy rain overcomes the gutter as it is only shallow. I think a factory trip will be in order as they will have had experience of this problem before ( BET A FIVER ON IT). To go to Huddersfield is about 50 miles further and they would need to keep it awaiting asny parts so I would need the wife to drive behind to take me home AND come back when they claim it is fixed.. No Ta i'll go straight th Germany and make a trip out of it as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
@GWAYGWAY @milliethehymer is spot on I had the same problem on a new m/h a rollateam 746 they replaced the seals twice and when they did find out it was the joint over the side and back I p/xit and now have a shit GERMAN A CLASS ray xx lol still lol we get a lot of leeks in WALES :madder::madder::madder::madder:
Welsh always did have leeks, and it rains more there anyway.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I found the leak at the rear of the garage and when I sat in and checked it was coming along the top and rear side of the door seal and running down the door itself, it tried tightening the pull lock but that didn't work and the locks at the bottom is not working properly at all now from having to turn it a bit harder the plastic and metal bit seem a ' bit disconnected@ ie they turn seperately now and a it is not as secure. The gutter I put on when it leaked badly and it looked like the water was then funning through the rear vertical seal. Heavy rain overcomes the gutter as it is only shallow. I think a factory trip will be in order as they will have had experience of this problem before ( BET A FIVER ON IT). To go to Huddersfield is about 50 miles further and they would need to keep it awaiting asny parts so I would need the wife to drive behind to take me home AND come back when they claim it is fixed.. No Ta i'll go straight th Germany and make a trip out of it as well.

Good decision imo, I recall buying a brand new mk 7 Transit in 2007, there was always a pool of water in the passengers footwell after overnight rain. The suppling dealer changed the door seal twice without success, then it went off to a Bodyshop who apparently rehung the door and “ readjusted” hinges all of which did not solve the problem but did ensure the door never shut properly again. Exasperated I contacted Ford directly who by then had worked out that the real problem was a defective seal on the quarter light window!!!!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Ta i'll go straight th Germany and make a trip out of it as well
Excellent idea. We were at Bad Waldsee last April, and had a lovely time. The weather was great.
A technician is allocated to you. He comes to collect your van from you on the Hymer Stellplatz first thing in the morning (7am in our caseo_O), and returns it to you in the evening, explaining everything that has been done. This leaves you free to go off into the nice little town, have a look round the Hymer Museum, sit and relax in the comfortable waiting area, or look round the vans in the showroom.
A breakfast van comes to the Stellplatz in the morning, drinks also available from machines in the waiting area. An added plus for us was that it's all very dog-friendly, although this probably won't be of consequence to you.
If you can wait that long, April is a great time to go.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Excellent idea. We were at Bad Waldsee last April, and had a lovely time. The weather was great.
A technician is allocated to you. He comes to collect your van from you on the Hymer Stellplatz first thing in the morning (7am in our caseo_O), and returns it to you in the evening, explaining everything that has been done. This leaves you free to go off into the nice little town, have a look round the Hymer Museum, sit and relax in the comfortable waiting area, or look round the vans in the showroom.
A breakfast van comes to the Stellplatz in the morning, drinks also available from machines in the waiting area. An added plus for us was that it's all very dog-friendly, although this probably won't be of consequence to you.
If you can wait that long, April is a great time to go.
How do you book this please? Just in case we need it in the future.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just sent a message to them about my leaks and the delaminating floor at the cooker. I wait the reply, then off we will go. IF they do not direct me back to Huddersfield.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless you asked for them to make an appointment to inspect your van they will refer you to your supplying dealer.

When you do get down that way the Sellaplatz at Carthago City is much nicer than the one at Hymer and only a few miles from Hymer.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
The person at Hymer.com who deals with enquiries/problems is Carina Wohnhaas. She doesn't appear to have a direct, public email address, but you can address your mails to her ie 'Dear Ms Wohnhaas.'
Alternatively, you can email servicecenter@hymer.com and ask for an appointment. We did it through Ms Wohnhaas, but the appointment was sent from the service centre. Good luck, and if I can be of further help, just ask. We made our appointment in order to rectify a problem caused by a different British dealer from yours. We were completely happy with the service provided by Hymer Bad Waldsee.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have been in contact with Hymer about my leaks and I have recieved the following brush off.

many thanks for your message dated 21.01.2018.
Our requirement is to manufacture motorhomes and caravans of good quality. Therefore we regret that you have a problem with your Hymer ML-I.
Unfortunately, an impartial and conclusive evaluation of the issue is not possible from the distance. Therefore we would ask you to refer to your next Hymer dealer.
You can find your next HYMER dealer on our website www.hymer.com.
We hope you understand that.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards / Cordiali Saluti

I know they think that the dealers should DEAL with it but the problem occurs when the neare ones tell you to sod off basically because they do not get paid very much to do the work and can make a lot more doing their own work.
I bought my van from Huddersfield because they were the only one that had one in stock and available, But to go up there and leave it with them whilst they get around to thinking about it, and then find a problem then ordering the spares waiting for the bit to come whatever they are make for a long time to be without it. especially to go up and leave it there then come home and then go back to collect it, means a lot of monet spent on travelling.
I might be better off going in to a foreign dealer in Belgium and getting them to look after it, The moving delamination in the hab floor I can deal with myself but the leaking seals are another problem along with the poor door lock now.

I now think that the problem is just a bad design on this model and to froget the whole warranty business altogether and put it down to experience, as for taking it back to have damp checks done every year at the cost of God knows what, Forget it. Put the money in the kitty to pay for spare when and how they are needed. The Mercedes warranty is much the same the cost of the SERVICE at £450 Plus VAT for a basic oil and filter change. I can buy their oils and filters and do it myself. If it needs an inspection that is not done at service not part of it, the motor could be hanging out and it is not commented on.
Rather disappointed at the way things are nowadays but hey-ho what do I expect, every where I venture, there are hands in my pocket.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have been in contact with Hymer about my leaks and I have recieved the following brush off.

many thanks for your message dated 21.01.2018.
Our requirement is to manufacture motorhomes and caravans of good quality. Therefore we regret that you have a problem with your Hymer ML-I.
Unfortunately, an impartial and conclusive evaluation of the issue is not possible from the distance. Therefore we would ask you to refer to your next Hymer dealer.
You can find your next HYMER dealer on our website www.hymer.com.
We hope you understand that.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards / Cordiali Saluti
Have you emailed the service centre and asked them for an appointment to look at it?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you emailed the service centre and asked them for an appointment to look at it?
That is the answer I got, above. I know a water leak in the garage is not important but It is to me as everything on the floor in there was absolutely soaked and going rusty or waterlogged,
I did the paper strip test o the actual seals and the paper fell,out all over the area of the seal I checked along the top and down the rear edge I cannot tighten the doors and the bottom lock is suffering trying to hold it tight, The doors do not fit against the seals, simple as that, will not go in more, and yet not tight enough to push the rubber against the plastic..

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you have emailed Hymer. The service centre operate independently from Hymer.

upload_2018-1-24_12-18-14.png

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
They are really helpful at bad waldsee.
If there is anything else you need doing get them to do it.
My damp check was about eur 90.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That is the answer I got, above. I know a water leak in the garage is not important but It is to me as everything on the floor in there was absolutely soaked and going rusty or waterlogged,
I did the paper strip test o the actual seals and the paper fell,out all over the area of the seal I checked along the top and down the rear edge I cannot tighten the doors and the bottom lock is suffering trying to hold it tight, The doors do not fit against the seals, simple as that, will not go in more, and yet not tight enough to push the rubber against the plastic..

I think the paper test confirms what some of us speculated above that the wrong seal was fitted at manufacture or subsequently.

Is there a reputable MH repairer near you? I am sure paying them to fit a thicker appropriate seal would not cost very much and cheaper than the drive to the Hymer Dealer. Just talk to one or two.

You did not say in your OP whether this is a new vehicle. If it is, I think your paper test is proof that it is a factory fault. Is there a part number anywhere on the seal - to check whether it is the corrct one? If not, reporting the test to Hymer should help them to see that they should provide a new seal and cover the fitting costs. They would be hard pressed to claim the seal was damaged, as that would be at one point only not all the way round.

Whether new or used, getting the correct seal from Hymer should solve the problem.

Get a quote from dealers for fitting. It might convince you that it is easier way to go and maybe cheaper.

Geoff

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Afternoon Graham

I think you must address your thing as shown by Lenny HB. You should also indicate that you have had no success visiting their UK dealers who persist in giving you the run around.

The experiences of many funsters on here paints and appalling picture of it seems just about every UK dealer. These dealers knew the deal when they sought and obtained the various franchises. The inflated UK prices are such to cover "warranty" work. Though by the look of things, they all need tuition in how to conduct a pre delivery inspection. It seems to me that they can not be inspecting the vehicles when delivered to the franchise where a thorough shake down should occur and a refusal to accept those which do not measure up.

I am in the fortunate position of owning an older camping car which perhaps the previous owner(s) had the pleasure of putting right in her youth!

Consideration should be given not by just you Graham but the many others whose tales on here make my hair (what's left of it) curl, to involving trading standards. Afterall we are paying their wages (and a significant amount into their pensions) through our local and national taxation.

I think my moan must be on a par with yours now. Good luck and use the email address @Lenny HB has given to get this sorted before the season starts!

That feels better!

Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back