Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
What's your thoughts?
Thinking maybe going to Spain or portugal to do odd jobs ie painting building plastering etc.
In return for parking motorhome with hook up etc. Winter months only maybe some beer money also thrown in.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I would say you would have loads of takers. I know one couple who go around house sitting for villa owners over the winter months, using their M/H. No shortage of customers (the deal is return tickets in return for house keeping, feeding, walking pets). Painting, pressure washing, garden clean up, spring clean etc at 5 euros an hour cash on top. People are queuing up for them

They do have references and are fairly well known in expat community. They looked after a friend's place over in Portugal, painted extensive garden walls (around 850M) both sides, and both parties came out of it happy

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I would say you would have loads of takers. I know one couple who go around house sitting for villa owners over the winter months, using their M/H. No shortage of customers (the deal is return tickets in return for house keeping, feeding, walking pets). Painting, pressure washing, garden clean up, spring clean etc at 5 euros an hour cash on top. People are queuing up for them

They do have references and are fairly well known in expat community. They looked after a friend's place over in Portugal, painted extensive garden walls (around 850M) both sides, and both parties came out of it happy
Are these the ex pats who moan about brexit and the outcome of their pensions ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The majority of UK people we meet who live out here are here for the long haul.You have to do the sums,somethings are cheaper/dearer than the UK,but its the quality of life,sunshine traffic free roads,the willingness of the Portugues people to help you and make sure you are included into the village life,and lots of "Council tax ?" OFFICIAL perks that sees you paying very little and, being able to leave houses,cars unlocked,tools in the garden/land around the house day in day out.
However,being as i "Don't do money" that is first wifes job,i have never heard any one i have met even mention pensions,but i will ask Sirs Cliff and Dickie,next time we meet up,how they are managing.
Must dash,time to change my pony for the next chukka.
Tea Bag.
PS. It ain't half hot mum!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'd say go for it.
I had 2 lots of people stay with me in France. Painting, gardening, bit of DIY ( minor stuff) in return for meals and room.
As long as you're confident at what you can do I'm sure both parties will be happy.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Joking aside,you will have to have a plan B. Most Portugues can multitask,so in the event of not finding an english person to work for,there is no work about for Porty builders,so plan carefully.Best of luck,remember the saying."While you have your two hands you will never starve"
Tea Bag

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Living out here, I haven't heard a single expat moaning, they're all far too busy enjoying a life that costs 30-40% less than back in the UK, sipping wine at 5 euros a 5 litre box, enjoying the sunshine, by the pool. paying 10% of the council taxes they would pay back in the UK for bigger, better and more attractive properties, driving on better and less congested roads, more attentive healthcare, a higher standard of education and paying 7 euros/hour for manual workers or 15 euros/hour for skilled workers.

Sorry to shatter any illusions, but people don't usually leave these shores to spend the rest of their lives looking back over their shoulders at the mess they chose to leave.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Living out here, I haven't heard a single expat moaning, they're all far too busy enjoying a life that costs 30-40% less than back in the UK, sipping wine at 5 euros a 5 litre box, enjoying the sunshine, by the pool. paying 10% of the council taxes they would pay back in the UK for bigger, better and more attractive properties, driving on better and less congested roads, more attentive healthcare, a higher standard of education and paying 7 euros/hour for manual workers or 15 euros/hour for skilled workers.

Sorry to shatter any illusions, but people don't usually leave these shores to spend the rest of their lives looking back over their shoulders at the mess they chose to leave.
Well spoken a true ex pat , but I seem to remember on TV and esle where a 'selection ' of ex pats very concerned about pension rights etc during the lead up to the vote ? I must be the only one who loves world travelling but it's great to be back home to your roots , thinking about the next trip !

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

You've definitely sold it to me Pyro, sounds ideal.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ask SteveandSue@ they may be able to guide you to a website to help you find something like that. Last time we met them, they had just finished a stint in France, but we can't remember what the website was called. You can also look at 'wwoof.org' there is one for over 45's. Another one is ' workaway'.

Reactions: JJ
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well spoken a true ex pat , but I seem to remember on TV and esle where a 'selection ' of ex pats very concerned about pension rights etc during the lead up to the vote ? I must be the only one who loves world travelling but it's great to be back home to your roots , thinking about the next trip !

That's only my perspective, I continue to have a foot in both countries, although the uncertainty of things in the UK has meant that not inconsiderable investment has already been redirected to Lisbon to maintain an EU presence - a loss to the UK - and it wouldn't take a lot for me to up sticks and live there full time.

I have noticed that many expat groups tend to bond over some very fundamental things, such as a common language and origin, and seldom have much else in common with respect to education, political inclination or background.

Many I have met are in fact extremely and shamelessly self centred, they have no wish to learn the language, savour the customs of their chosen destination or to assimilate within the local community. They want a high quality of life for as little as they can get away with, they want the best of both worlds without paying for it. You can see them swaggering about in bars debating what the best Kodi addon is to allow them to watch a pirate stream of Sky/BT Sports whilst they vegetate all day in front of the TV drinking cheap lager, which VPN still works with the ITV Hub, or calculating what they can blow their winter fuel allowance on when it comes through - even though the December temperature in most of Portugal is hotter than it was last spring back in the UK. And I have to confess, such caricatures of "Arfur Dailey" are an embarrassment to themselves and to their country of origin, as well as being a constant source of irritation to both the locals and those wishing to assimilate with them. It is such unsettled souls as these, thankfully denizens of more tourist orientated resorts than our own rural retreat, that the TV companies selectively interview.

There isn't a day that passes that I am not thankful for our ability to have the blessing of a presence in both countries that we can call home, and return to with equal happiness

You've definitely sold it to me Pyro, sounds ideal.

Nothing is perfect, but there has to come a time when quality of life takes precedence over the constant drain of just paying the bills

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's your thoughts?
Thinking maybe going to Spain or portugal to do odd jobs ie painting building plastering etc.
In return for parking motorhome with hook up etc. Winter months only maybe some beer money also thrown in.
This is what we thought @ianthebuilder was going to do two years ago, but it didn't seem to work for him, maybe a good guy to have a word with(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's only my perspective, I continue to have a foot in both countries, although the uncertainty of things in the UK has meant that considerable investment has already been redirected to Lisbon to maintain an EU presence - a loss to the UK - and it wouldn't take a lot for me to up sticks and live there full time.

I have noticed that many expat groups tend to bond over some very fundamental things, such as a common language and origin, and seldom have much else in common with respect to education, political inclination or background.

Many I have met are in fact extremely and shamelessly self centred, they have no wish to learn the language, savour the customs of their chosen destination or to assimilate within the local community. They want a high quality of life for as little as they can get away with, they want the best of both worlds without paying for it. You can see them swaggering about in bars debating what the best Kodi addon is to allow them to watch a pirate stream of Sky/BT Sports whilst they vegetate all day in front of the TV drinking cheap lager, which VPN still works with the ITV Hub, or calculating what they can blow their winter fuel allowance on when it comes through - even though the December temperature in most of Portugal is hotter than it was last spring back in the UK. And I have to confess, such caricatures of "Arfur Dailey" are an embarrassment to themselves and to their country of origin, as well as being a constant source of irritation to both the locals and those wishing to assimilate with them. It is such unsettled souls as these, thankfully denizens of more tourist orientated resorts than our own rural retreat, that the TV companies selectively interview.

There isn't a day that passes that I am not thankful for our ability to have the blessing of a presence in both countries that we can call home, and return to with equal happiness

Nothing is perfect, but there has to come a time when quality of life takes precedence over the constant drain of just paying the bills
Put a nice one on this for the post being spot on not for the content.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you have the skills go for it.

I would be knackered as I am only good at space invaders and spinning coins(y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If you have the skills go for it.

I would be knackered as I am only good at space invaders and spinning coins(y)
Ideal qualifications for the EU parliament, I would say

At least you already have the shorts for the job :whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What's your thoughts?
I live here so if when you find it you can put some my way I'd be obliged,as I haven't found any since the "crisis" started.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I live here so if when you find it you can put some my way I'd be obliged,as I haven't found any since the "crisis" started.
Well friend you are same age as me , my part time job ended in April , It's a fine balancing act living on your savings , but not all , rainy day fund needed . And wait for the pension to kick in I /we are the first batch to do 'extra time ' me it's 6 months so roll on September 2019. So when did the crisis start in Spain?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
End of 2008.

You know Gus I am in the Costa Brava at the moment. I have been coming here for about 12 years and it's always been a Spanish resort ( which I was fine with). Now it's French, French and more bloody French ( some rough elements too).

Is that a reflection of the Spanish economy?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You know Gus I am in the Costa Brava at the moment. I have been coming here for about 12 years and it's always been a Spanish resort ( which I was fine with). Now it's French, French and more bloody French ( some rough elements too).

Is that a reflection of the Spanish economy?
No idea really but the last couple of years the French motorhomers have been everywhere and in large numbers.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No idea really but the last couple of years the French motorhomers have been everywhere and in large numbers.

I understand that fewer French motorhomers are going to North Africa due to security concerns so Spain and Portugal are busier accommodating more of them as well as the usual visitors.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
IF you end up earning as much as Ronaldo, make sure you pay all of your taxes :LOL::LOL::LOL: - Gordon

TBH - pay all of your taxes anyway, and remember you will be liable to UK tax rates until you've been out of the country for a whole tax year (I believe). I think you're allowed back for 5days pa, so get your MOT sorted carefully - ;).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back