OBD scanner, code reader (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I’m helping someone out with a fiesta that has a EML on, and failed to get the code with the on board diagnose method. It comes back with DTC none. I’m sure there is a stored code as the eml will not go out after starting. Can anyone recommend a cheap but effective ford reader please? I can’t take it to a test for the next two weeks and would like to fix this if posible. I had a look on eBay for the Bluetooth interfaces that works with a app, are they worth it? Never used one in the past 10 years. Used to have a Vauxhall specific reader that worked well, those things are no longer available.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It’s not going to a dealer, I’m trying to save a vehicle destined for scrap, at minimum cost. It runs but when it heats up, it has a stutter, like something intermittent. Could be anything from the throttle position sensor, O2, ignition coil, or even a bad earth to a sensor and not reporting. I have cleared two squirrel nests from under the bonnet, all the nuts, shells and so far wires look ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
If the tool allows it use the clear dtc function. Afterwards start and stop the engine 4 times, as long as the fault that initially failed the test has not reoccurred the eml will extinguish. The dtc will be logged as a historic dtc and can be seen with a Ford specific tool. As the eml was illuminated a failed self test on the emissions side caused the tested dtc. HTH.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe can't clear the code without dealer input.
I have two readers, one handheld and the other a plug-in Bluetooth module (Torque Pro) and both only read and clear generic codes.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
You haven't said if you are android or iPhone, but on my old scrapper vw golf I had a few year's back, that would throw codes at you like they were apples falling from a tree.

I've got a few of the Bluetooth EM327 and found an excellent VW fault code app that would read and clear all codes, I kept the dongle plugged in permanently and cleared the codes with ease from that app.

Might be worth a look for specific "Ford" apps first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Pappajohn, thank you for the feedback, I was actually looking at Torque pro.
Bobby-gg, I’m after something that works with IOS supported apps, found the elm327 and most are android.
Found one called Vident obd scanner that supports life data and other few things like : service light reset, air bag , abs reset etc. for just over 32quid delivered. Anyone heard of this vident? They do a pro version as well, not for what I need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back