Nothing from EHU (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Newchamp

Free Member
Mar 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Lunar Champ
Newbie to the whole motorhome world here, so likely to be some silly questions....... We picked up our new-to-us first mhome earlier in the week and had our first test night last night. Unfortunately we ended up coming home as we couldn't get the EHU to work. Brand new cable (tested on another van and was fine) plugged into 3 different mains stands and 3 helpers couldn't figure it out so potentially a fault to go back to the dealership with. However.....this forum looks really active so though I'd post to see if we're missing something obvious. RCD is fine, we manually tripped it and reset it. 12v works fine. Fuses are fine. Somebody elsewhere mentioned needing to flip a switch when plugged in to move from 12v to 240v, but we can't find this anywhere? Any hints/tips/suggestions gratefully received. We're in a 2005 Fiat Lunar Champ. Many thanks.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If the rcd tripped, then there is power to the van. Are you sure the MCBs are on, they are normally next to the rcd?
When you say no mains, did you check at 13amp outlets? Any lights on at the PCU, such as for charger and heating.

Geoff

PS. a photo of your PCU box would be helpfull.

OP
OP
Newchamp

Newchamp

Free Member
Mar 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Lunar Champ
If the rcd tripped, then there is power to the van. Are you sure the MCBs are on, they are normally next to the rcd?
When you say no mains, did you check at 13amp outlets? Any lights on at the PCU, such as for charger and heating.

Geoff

PS. a photo of your PCU box would be helpfull.
We tripped the RCD manually, connecting the hook up didn't trip it - connecting the hook up didn't do anything. Yes, checked the 13amp plugs - didn't work. Will go and take some pics now - thanks Geoff.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
When you say you tripped the rcd manually, I assumed you meant that you pushed the test button, am I right? If so this proves there is power to the van, if there was no power, the trip would not function.

Geoff

OP
OP
Newchamp

Newchamp

Free Member
Mar 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Lunar Champ
Geoff - I'd be lying if I said I understood most of those initials, but perhaps these pics make sense to you!! Control panel lights are on from the leisure battery. Cheers.

IMG_20230305_152321949.jpg IMG_20230305_152341900.jpg IMG_20230305_152408831.jpg IMG_20230305_152418385_HDR.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Newchamp

Newchamp

Free Member
Mar 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Lunar Champ
When you say you tripped the rcd manually, I assumed you meant that you pushed the test button, am I right? If so this proves there is power to the van, if there was no power, the trip would not function.

Geoff
Sorry, yes that's right. The test button threw the swith when it was connected to the hook up.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
where are you? im happy to take a look for you if youre local?

i think youve followed the right process so far. checked your ehu lead on other vans, then tried 3 different posts, which i assume were def working. also being able to operate the test button demonstrates power to the consumer unit.

the next thing then is to find out if power is leaving the consumer unit and possibly being stopped somewhere along the circuit. if you can find which wires go from the consumer unit, you can buy a mains testing 'pen' from screwfix etc to see if power is actually leaving the consumer unit.

if power isnt leaving the consumer unit you may have a faulty RCD, yes it trips but doesnt engage or faulty fuses/mcb's???

if you dont know about electrics then at that stage its time to get someone in who does ...

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
So there is power to the control unit, good. Unfortunately I don't recognise that red control unit, so would be of limited help there. However, it looks to me like the rcd is on the front left. It also looks like it has a couple of MCBs next to it, they are like the resettable fuses you have at home. Please ensure they are in the ON position. If they are , you would be better off getting an electrical bod to take a look.
Did you buy from a dealer? If so might be worth contacting them or even looking on one of the Lunar forums.

Geoff

OP
OP
Newchamp

Newchamp

Free Member
Mar 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Lunar Champ
Thanks all - we're in S.Wales. I was just wondering to see if there was something obvious we'd missed more than anything. I know nothing about electrics so won't go poking around for fear of making it worse and/or killing myself!! We've got a warranty with the van so I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow, just wanted to make sure I avoid looking like a numpty if they press a button somewhere and everything works! I think that's the best route for me to go down.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Thanks all - we're in S.Wales. I was just wondering to see if there was something obvious we'd missed more than anything. I know nothing about electrics so won't go poking around for fear of making it worse and/or killing myself!! We've got a warranty with the van so I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow, just wanted to make sure I avoid looking like a numpty if they press a button somewhere and everything works! I think that's the best route for me to go down.
I looked like a numpty after I called the dealer, who sent a bod out 80 miles, who then flipped a fuse and all was well (y) :rolleyes: You've paid for the privilege.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if they havent explained something, then they are the numpties and i would be slightly annoyed with them!!

on the assumption that there is no manual or handbook, can you photo any id labels on the red box - assuming your incoming power supply terminates in there and then supplies your 240 sockets from there?

oh, and pay the subscription fee, you know its worth it already !

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
If you're close to the dealer then as you aren't comfortable with electrics I'd go back to them; at a minimum if you've missed something simple they can talk you through it, which they should have done when they did the handover anyway.

It's also useful getting an adaptor to connect the EHU cable to a 13A socket - this sort of thing
613AIlaohLL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

It lets you test your electrics at home, charge up your batteries, and cool down your fridge on home electric before you load up to go.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It looks like a Calira box, maybe the EVS 38/20, Is that written across the front of the red box? That trip switch must be an RCBO, which is a device that combines the functions of an RCD and an MCB. An RCD protects against electric shock, and MCB protects against overcurrent, overheating and fire. Usually they are separate, mostly one RCD and one or two MCBs.

I think if the 240V has never worked for you there must be a fault somewhere past the trip switch which is functioning as it should. Or more likely a switch somewhere tucked away that needs to be turned on.

While you are at the dealers you could ask about that battery charger unit in the picture. The Calira box is supposed to have a built-in battery charger, so maybe it's stopped working and they fitted that external charger. It won't cause the mains problem you describe, but worth asking about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back