Not the best weekend (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Left home Thursday to wend our way to North Wales from Ipswich, as I cruise over the Orwell bridge up flashes a sign with A14 closed on it! Bugger, so we go A12-M25 and pick up the M6 (just 40 miles further than going via the A14) stopping of at the Wheatsheaf pub for the night and one of there curries.
Friday its on to Trwyn yr wylfa camping site booked by our daughter with hubby chris, they are arriving a little behind us so I have had my orders to pitch close to the toilets as they are tenting. Upon arriving we realise this site is built on the side of a small mountain, all the flat pitches are gone, some of those left are only suitable for mountain goats. We find two pitches which no one wants because once on them you maynot get off, as you are facing up hill on wet grass. So the van stayed there till we left on Monday. When they arrive we make ourselves a little kingdom out off their gazebo our Faimmia awning and various windbreaks we need them as its blowing a gale and raining, welcome to Wales! We get the bar-bi and wine out.

Saturday Chris complains of a rash on his leg so guess he's been bitten by some nasty welsh critter, after a Taxi ride into Conwy he decides to ring 111 as his leg is quite swollen, we all find shelter from the rain in a pub, did I say it rained? It pi**ed down most of the afternoon. After some three hours our marvellous 111 NHS service manages to get a prescription for antibiotics delivered to the local pharmacy just before 5.30,

We dodge the rain to find a takeaway Indian and a cheese shop, so stuffed with wine, cheese and an Indian takeaway we return to site to find his gazebo blown down and broken while our roof mounted Faimmia awning has broken free of its two front legs and is hanging down nearly touching the ground. (New clips ordered today £12.00) So wind 1 kingdom nil. we retire to the Van. 4 adults in a PVC is cosy.

Saturday night the wind and rain decides to give there tent a bit more treatment and on Sunday morning they pack up, intending to leave in the evening back home to Manchester. They drive to Conwy while we get a taxi, Conwy is a nice little town, Edward1 built Conwy castle and a wall around the town which you can still walk all the way around for free, entrance to the castle was £9.20. the castle is largely complete except for floors and the like, I guess one of shifty's ancestors nicked all that. ::bigsmile:
After a late afternoon visit to Llandudno for a walk along the prom and a meal in the Cottage Loaf pub they go home and we go back to the van.

Monday we leave with a visit to the Chester Designer Outlet planned on the way home but I miss the signs, so getting black looks from wifey I take her to Merry Hill Birmingham for Retail therapy. we leave about 7ish and as we travel up the M6 guess what flashes up on the Overhead signs? Flipping A14 closed again!!!

Its trips like this that make you realise why you go abroad!

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Monday we leave with a visit to the Chester Designer Outlet planned on the way home but I miss the signs, so getting black looks from wifey I take her to Merry Hill Birmingham for Retail therapy. we leave about 7ish and as we travel up the M6 guess what flashes up on the Overhead signs? Flipping A14 closed again!!!
'Merry Hell' Shopping Centre is between Brierley Hill and Cradley Heath, not Birmingham, on the site of the former Round Oak Steelworks. It's like me saying Great Yarmouth is in Ipswich! Or Ipswich is in Norwich ... [reaches for tin hat, esp if you're a footie fan ...] :oops:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
'Merry Hell' Shopping Centre is between Brierley Hill and Cradley Heath, not Birmingham, on the site of the former Round Oak Steelworks. It's like me saying Great Yarmouth is in Ipswich! Or Ipswich is in Norwich ... [reaches for tin hat, esp if you're a footie fan ...] :oops:

Steve
And so you should😂 only one team plays football in East Anglia.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sorry I will continue to say Merry Hill Birmingham.
Of all the large shopping centres I have been dragged to, its a pig to get to. Trafford, Meadowhall, Metrocentre etc. All are close to motorways, what idiot built it there?

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Forgot to mention Castle Cabs who drove us about over the weekend, top company all the drivers were friendly and chatty with recommends for best pubs for food and drink, one even gave us a history lesson on the castle. :happy: Another shew me the best FLT spots as we drove into Llandudno.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Look on the bright side, you got off the pitch without the help of a tractor :rofl:
Or have you got more to tell us ?
I don't think I can remember a colder or wetter August, certainly not tenting weather.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Could have been worse. I drove down the M6 from Lakes to Birmingham. Not too bad traffic, given we hit Brum at 17:00. Hardly had to stop. Can't say the same Northbound. It was stationary for most of the journey, until there were no cars at all because a pile-up had completely closed it just south of the M54...

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
And so you should😂 only one team plays football in East Anglia.
'Letsby 'avin ya!' mob? :LOL:

But the team that contained the likes of Paul Cooper, John Wark, Mick Mills, Arnold Muhren, Frank Thijssen, Brian Talbot, George Burley et al were a bit special ... Not quite up with Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips [showing my age now ...]!

Steve

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not quite up with Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips [showing my age now]

Ted Phillips... hardest shot in English football!

My first ever football match was Ipswich v Man U*d at Portman Rd. Their first home game in the first division.

Pure Magic.

The roar as Phillips scored from 25 yards will live with me forever.

I was there for the final game of the season v Aston Villa when Ramsey's men won the title!

I ran on the pitch at the end of the match with hundreds of others and I patted Roy Bailey on the back!

Then Dad got a new job near Manchester and over time my loyalties changed.

Happy memories.

JJ :cool:

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
'Letsby 'avin ya!' mob? :LOL:

But the team that contained the likes of Paul Cooper, John Wark, Mick Mills, Arnold Muhren, Frank Thijssen, Brian Talbot, George Burley et al were a bit special ... Not quite up with Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips [showing my age now ...]!

Steve
As was watching Martin Peters grace the hallowed Carra turf. Have to admit I have missed the derby matches over the past few years. They are always a bit special.

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I had a great weekend, went the other way over the bridge up to Framlingham, had a lovely time at a CL in Badingham, Suffolk.

But the weather was shite!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Another shew me the best FLT spots as we drove into Llandudno.
We're looking at Llandudno in a few weeks, if you're happy to share ??

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun