Not strictly speaking a motorhome question but it could well be relevant to some of us (1 Viewer)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So I have a life long friend who recently retired, he's run a very successful kitchen business all his working life inherited from his father, he is totally business minded btw, its been his total working life from day dot.

So last October he went to his favourite town in Spain where he has wintered for quite a few years, he's had a lovely time whilst out their as usual, enjoying the weather, cycling and the great mix of people whom he says are quite affluent and don't mess about spending in the local businesses, bars, restaurants. He reckons, has they have all been discussing it together, that each friend/couples spent on average between £500 & £800 every week, week in week out.

Since 31st march 2021 he alone has seen at least 47 friends/couples leave this particular town so that, as I type this, has had quite a knock on effect regarding the local economy, approx 23,500 to 37,500 euros each and every week has been lost due to the 90 day rule, and that is just the people he particularly knows, their will be i'd have thought quite a lot more. And remember this is in one little local town in Spain.

Anyway back to the point, so my mate has booked a flight and he arrives home next saturday, this will mean he has stayed 52 days over the 90 days allowed, so i've just asked him the question.

What will you do if................

His reply was, "nothing, i'll do absolutely nothing, if they fine and jail me, fair enough at least i'll be able to isolate with 3 meals a day thrown in", he was actually saying this tongue in cheek btw.

"If they fine me £1000, well i'll look at that this way, i've had an extra 9 weeks holiday for a grand, i'll take that"

He then said that its his belief that both Spanish and British governments were speaking to each other to see a way through/around this situation, failing to do "something" could well see quite a lot of damage to the Spanish economy and even the possible bankruptcy of 100's of small business in Spain that will/had been badly affected due to the 90 day agreement. Spain he thought will 100% have a very tough time of it economy wise if that is allowed to happen.

So watch this space, he's promised to get in touch with me a few day after he gets home to let me know the backlash if any, so i promise if he does i'll let you all know the outcome.

It could go either way, interesting or boring, lets wait and see.

Happy weekend everyone, have a good one and lets hope the weather keeps fine

Al (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wouldn't be walking into the Airport with a wallet full of cards and a load of dosh.

What they see is what they'll take.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I bet that do nothing as it would be said he was in lock down under Spanish law what else was he to do.

But thats the whole point, he wasn't locked down and neither were the 100's possibly 1000's who have come home before the 31st March, he in his own words said, "i'll go home when i want to" and to be fair he has done/doing that, its the aftermath, if any, that we are all interested in, or at least some of us are ;)

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Possibly your friend won't be quite as blasee if they are denied EU entry for deliberately overstaying the 90 days?

once again he's willing to accept the outcome good or bad, all i'm doing is hoping to let you all know the outcome of it all

lets just wait and see what happens then offer any comments necessary, he's not asked me to post this btw, he's not interested in motor homing and never will be and he'll never read these comments, i'm just posting so you lot can see the backlash if any on his actions.

And nothing to do with being blase', if he's not allowed to go to the EU then he'll just go somewhere else, he's minted so can afford to go anywhere in the world

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Lets hope he keeps up his average spend of between £500 and £800 per week once back in the UK .

he'll spend what he wants

why the xxxx are you lot being so bl$$ding petty and sarcastic, are you xxxxing jealous or summat

if you've nothing to post factual then fact off somewhere else

i'll not bother posting the results of his actions if your not interested, god knows why i waste my time on here as its full of know xxxxall xxxxs

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
he'll spend what he wants

why the xxxx are you lot being so bl$$ding petty and sarcastic, are you xxxxing jealous or summat

if you've nothing to post factual then fact off somewhere else

i'll not bother posting the results of his actions if your not interested, god knows why i waste my time on here as its full of know xxxxall xxxxs
I'm being neither petty nor sarcastic. I also did reply to you with factual information. I'm certainly not jealous and I'm not sure why you would think anyone else is either to be honest with you. It would be quite literally impossible for me to care less about what happens to your friend who seems to believe that as he is well-off that the laws governing not just his own country, but those he chooses to visit as well, are an inconsequential minor hindrance. Personally I hope they throw the book at him. As for your own attitude, I'll refrain from comment other than to point out that as soon as people haven't responded in maybe the way you thought they would, you have resorted to insulting and swearing at people. Perhaps it isn't others attitudes that you need to look at here?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Know a Lady friend in Alacanti, she's been there since 2013. Although she took the time to take spanish lessons , it wasn't until May resigned as PM that she realised that Brexit would actually go ahead.
Now, she is anxiously waiting for her resident papers to come through.
She recently bailed her hubby out of the house they owned, gave him half the value of the house , and he buggered off back to the UK.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
.....great mix of people whom he says are quite affluent and don't mess about spending in the local businesses, bars, restaurants.
:unsure: I'm confused. So where do they spend it if not locally?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I'm being neither petty nor sarcastic. I also did reply to you with factual information. I'm certainly not jealous and I'm not sure why you would think anyone else is either to be honest with you. It would be quite literally impossible for me to care less about what happens to your friend who seems to believe that as he is well-off that the laws governing not just his own country, but those he chooses to visit as well, are an inconsequential minor hindrance. Personally I hope they throw the book at him. As for your own attitude, I'll refrain from comment other than to point out that as soon as people haven't responded in maybe the way you thought they would, you have resorted to insulting and swearing at people. Perhaps it isn't others attitudes that you need to look at here?
this was not your comment which i referred to

"Possibly your friend won't be quite as blasee if they are denied EU entry for deliberately overstaying the 90 days?"

"personally i hope they throw the book at him", this is your comment

Why would you wish that?, you don't know him and possibly never will so why be such an @resole

As i said i just posted these facts to try to possibly help others understand a situation, jeez its like i've started a war or summat :unsure:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you add all the stuff you have to pay for just to live there plus food, then chuck in some expensive nights/days out that's only £25000 a year at £500 a week, that's sounds quite easy to do to me.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
this was not your comment which i referred to

"Possibly your friend won't be quite as blasee if they are denied EU entry for deliberately overstaying the 90 days?"

"personally i hope they throw the book at him", this is your comment

Why would you wish that?, you don't know him and possibly never will so why be such an @resole

As i said i just posted these facts to try to possibly help others understand a situation, jeez its like i've started a war or summat :unsure:
Ah, more insults, a well reasoned response there. Well done. Why do I wish that? Your friend has DELIBERATELY broken the law. It wasn't an accident, as was the case with a similar post a few weeks ago, he did this with full awareness that he was breaking the law. Whether I know him or not is irrelevant. And from you description of your conversation with this person, he sounds as if he literally couldn't care less that he did so and that his money will enable him to not care. So yes, I hope they throw the book at him and maybe take some of his arrogance along with some of his euros.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
If you add all the stuff you have to pay for just to live there plus food, then chuck in some expensive nights/days out that's only £25000 a year at £500 a week, that's sounds quite easy to do to me.
it is

when we are in Spain we spend on average 100 euros a day, that's before we pay for site fees, gas used or whatever else, admitted we don't skimp on anything.

from me alone, Spain this winter could possibly lose around 9000 euros which i doubt they'll even bat an eyelid, but times that by say 1000 (visitors) maybe a lot more I don't really know, and that nows totals around 9 million euros, makes you study a bit doesn't it. This is just motor homers btw not all the other people who are usually over their.

Anyway this is a million miles away from my mate Willy and his possible predicament ;)

Actually he's not got a predicament really has he, he's been classed as being blase and needs the book thrown at him, he's brought the whole world tumbling around him but doesn't give a dam, shame on him and I hope he's hung drawn and quartered then beheaded and it spiked onto the front of the Tower of London gates like the good old days :LOL:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I was quite interested in the ops post and the resulting discussion, but with his subsequent attitude and insults to other members for no good reason I have give up on it now. :(
It could have been an interesting thread,however,the OP did get jumped on in pretty short order which appears to irritated the good intentions of reporting on a situation we would as you say been interested in.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I was quite interested in the ops post and the resulting discussion, but with his subsequent attitude and insults to other members for no good reason I have give up on it now. :(
good bye

look at the other posters attitude as well mate before deciding on whats right and wrong

my initial post was to report back on what may or may not happen to my mate, good or bad warts and all as this I felt may help others in the future. Some then just wanted to attack him knowing that he'll never never ever see their replies or comments, whats the point in that?

Kids in a playground springs to mind, now't better to do or say other than just see the negativity all the time

Sorry if i've offended anyone, it was not my intention but i'll not sit back and take it all up the backside without fighting back even though my mate is totally oblivious to all this :(

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
it is

when we are in Spain we spend on average 100 euros a day, that's before we pay for site fees, gas used or whatever else, admitted we don't skimp on anything.

from me alone, Spain this winter could possibly lose around 9000 euros which i doubt they'll even bat an eyelid, but times that by say 1000 (visitors) maybe a lot more I don't really know, and that nows totals around 9 million euros, makes you study a bit doesn't it. This is just motor homers btw not all the other people who are usually over their.

Anyway this is a million miles away from my mate Willy and his possible predicament ;)

Actually he's not got a predicament really has he, he's been classed as being blase and needs the book thrown at him, he's brought the whole world tumbling around him but doesn't give a dam, shame on him and I hope he's hung drawn and quartered then beheaded and it spiked onto the front of the Tower of London gates like the good old days :LOL:
This forum has had an incredible amount of threads regarding people in the UK who have overstayed their visas and the overwhelming consensus is always "throw them out, get rid of them and good riddance". You yourself said that when you questioned your friend regarding him breaking the same law in the same way said (paraphrasing) that he doesn't really care, you yourself said he will just go somewhere else. How is that NOT being blase to the fact that he is knowingly breaking the law??? And yes, why should he NOT face full punishment for breaking the law in this way?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I certainly think it’s an interesting situation and would very much like to know the outcome. The penalties for exceeding the 90 day limit are set out somewhere....presumably. A fine of £1000 will be nothing to a lot of folk,but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is also some penalty on when he can go back or how long he can stay next time.

It depends how much the Spanish care about rule breakers,and what resources they are putting into it at the border.........only time will tell.

Look forward to further news Al n Val

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
good bye

look at the other posters attitude as well mate before deciding on whats right and wrong

my initial post was to report back on what may or may not happen to my mate, good or bad warts and all as this I felt may help others in the future. Some then just wanted to attack him knowing that he'll never never ever see their replies or comments, whats the point in that?

Kids in a playground springs to mind, now't better to do or say other than just see the negativity all the time

Sorry if i've offended anyone, it was not my intention but i'll not sit back and take it all up the backside without fighting back even though my mate is totally oblivious to all this :(
No one attacked you in the slightest, just discussing your mate.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
good bye

bye..👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back