Norway (1 Viewer)

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Hi, I'm currently in Norway heading North. I want to do the return journey as quick as possible to maximise my touring. I think I've read somewhere that it's quicker to travel through Sweden. Can anyone confirm or advise?
Thanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi, I'm currently in Norway heading North. I want to do the return journey as quick as possible to maximise my touring. I think I've read somewhere that it's quicker to travel through Sweden. Can anyone confirm or advise?
Thanks.

Definitely quicker through Sweden but will depend on how far north you are

It might also determine if you get back at all, we were advised to be out of Norway before October or risk getting stuck in snow

I know our route out from Narvik to Sweden has already been blocked by snow this year with cars stuck

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Definitely quicker through Sweden but will depend on how far north you are

It might also determine if you get back at all, we were advised to be out of Norway before October or risk getting stuck in snow

I know our route out from Narvik to Sweden has already been blocked by snow this year with cars stuck
Thanks David. Interesting. We want to get as far North as possible but will depend on the weather I think. Will probably head back about 5th Nov for Nov 16th tunnel crossing. Already been through snow a couple of times but nothing too serious yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Thanks.
We drove to Tromso from the UK in Feb 2023 in our Hymer - we drove through Sweden on the Inlandsvagen which was quite easy compared to Norway. We had no problems finding sites open even though it was very much off season. I think the natives thought we were completely mad when we arrived in Tromso and were amazed we had driven all that way from the UK during winter. Driving in Norway during the winter can be quite a challenge - the roads are icy and very much more 'up and down' compared to Sweden so you need to have your wits about you. We covered 5500 miles in just under 2 months and glad we did it but feel we pushed our MH and ourselves to the limits given the fact it was -25 degrees at 11.30am travelling from Narvik to Karuna and was regularly - 20 degrees during the day. Sweden is definitely far easier to drive compared to Norway and they keep the roads really clear - most are straight with gentle bends and very little elevation and plenty of layby's to pull into to allow trucks to pass. Maybe the roads are far easier given the time of year you are travelling compared to when we drove in Feb!

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
We drove to Tromso from the UK in Feb 2023 in our Hymer - we drove through Sweden on the Inlandsvagen which was quite easy compared to Norway. We had no problems finding sites open even though it was very much off season. I think the natives thought we were completely mad when we arrived in Tromso and were amazed we had driven all that way from the UK during winter. Driving in Norway during the winter can be quite a challenge - the roads are icy and very much more 'up and down' compared to Sweden so you need to have your wits about you. We covered 5500 miles in just under 2 months and glad we did it but feel we pushed our MH and ourselves to the limits given the fact it was -25 degrees at 11.30am travelling from Narvik to Karuna and was regularly - 20 degrees during the day. Sweden is definitely far easier to drive compared to Norway and they keep the roads really clear - most are straight with gentle bends and very little elevation and plenty of layby's to pull into to allow trucks to pass. Maybe the roads are far easier given the time of year you are travelling compared to when we drove in Feb!
Thanks for your detailed reply. I think that will be our route home. Heading for Lofoten and then Tromso before Narvik to Kiruna and then home. We've been lucky with the weather so far. Had some snow on Harddangervidda and then -7 last night near the Swedish border. I find myself looking at the tyres on every motorhome I see. Most have winter tyres rather than studs. What did you have?

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Thanks for your detailed reply. I think that will be our route home. Heading for Lofoten and then Tromso before Narvik to Kiruna and then home. We've been lucky with the weather so far. Had some snow on Harddangervidda and then -7 last night near the Swedish border. I find myself looking at the tyres on every motorhome I see. Most have winter tyres rather than studs. What did you have?
Yes I did exactly the same - we have the Michelin Cross Climate tyres which to be fair were amazing. Although they are NOT full winter they coped with everything extremely well. They are only rated down to -7 degrees but as mentioned already we were driving when it was -20 degrees and below. All of the motorhomes we came across had studded or full winter tyres so we were perhaps a little naive with hindsight but we just took it slowly and pulled over a lot in Sweden especially to allow the trucks and other traffic to pass where necessary. I think we only came across one other UK registered van during our travels. Sweden was certainly far easier and more relaxing to drive through compared to Norway though.

IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4948.JPG

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Yes I did exactly the same - we have the Michelin Cross Climate tyres which to be fair were amazing. Although they are NOT full winter they coped with everything extremely well. They are only rated down to -7 degrees but as mentioned already we were driving when it was -20 degrees and below. All of the motorhomes we came across had studded or full winter tyres so we were perhaps a little naive with hindsight but we just took it slowly and pulled over a lot in Sweden especially to allow the trucks and other traffic to pass where necessary. I think we only came across one other UK registered van during our travels. Sweden was certainly far easier and more relaxing to drive through compared to Norway though.

View attachment 826117 View attachment 826118 View attachment 826119 View attachment 826121
Cheers. I have full winters and chains which I have been practising putting on.

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Cheers. I have full winters and chains which I have been practising putting on.
Wise! We used our snow chains on four occasions, very hard to put on a A class B544 as the front wheels are tucked in that coupled with it being -21 and loads of layers didn't help and my arms looked like Popeyes! Best of luck anyway as it'll be a lot easier given the time of year. Btw use the following website for road conditions for Sweden - it is brilliant and accurate, we checked it everyday before travelling: https://www.trafikverket.se/trafiki...y=6812874.78236&map_z=2&map_l=101000000000000

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin

View attachment 826117 View attachment 826118 View attachment 826119 View attachment 826121
Beautiful amazing pictures.
One day we'll do something like that!

Heidi666

Free Member
Aug 3, 2021
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 512 Van
Exp
since 2018
If you're going to Kiruna I can recommend a night at the Ice Hotel. They have warm rooms too. Fantastic sculptures in the permanent ice hotel and fab breakfast, all incl. (but don't bother with the over-priced restaurant down the road).

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
If you're going to Kiruna I can recommend a night at the Ice Hotel. They have warm rooms too. Fantastic sculptures in the permanent ice hotel and fab breakfast, all incl. (but don't bother with the over-priced restaurant down the road).
Thanks. That's a good idea. Will try to do that.

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Thanks. That's a good idea. Will try to do that.
We stayed at Camp Ripan in Kiruna - very good site with loads to do including organised dog sledding, skidoo hire and tours (we did the ice fishing) and the site also has a great restaurant. We took a taxi from Camp Ripan to the Ice Hotel for the afternoon which was a great experience and the sculptures are amazing as already mentioned.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Agree,

We have only ever stayed in Norway or Toured in Winter.

The roads can be very icy and if they treat them, usually just some sand. Thats why so many drive on Studded tyres in areas of severe winter.

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Agree,

We have only ever stayed in Norway or Toured in Winter.

The roads can be very icy and if they treat them, usually just some sand. Thats why so many drive on Studded tyres in areas of severe winter.
We had our windscreen chipped so many times as there is also a lot of gravel/small stones that seem to be spread as well during the bad weather. We had a replacement screen fitted when we got back!

May 1, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's often too cold to use salt on the roads (salt water freezes at about -17) so they do just use the small stones to bed into the snow/ice to give you grip.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Quick update if anyone is interested. Drove from Reine in Lofoten today, sleet snow and ice but the winter tyres so far have coped well. (Michelin Agilis Alpins). Not needed the chains yet. In some places it was hard to stand up but the motorhome drove over the ice ok. Some occasional wheel spin but nothing that stopped us. Truly beautiful scenery too. Heading to Tromso tomorrow. I'll post a couple of pieces soon.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Quick update if anyone is interested. Drove from Reine in Lofoten today, sleet snow and ice but the winter tyres so far have coped well. (Michelin Agilis Alpins). Not needed the chains yet. In some places it was hard to stand up but the motorhome drove over the ice ok. Some occasional wheel spin but nothing that stopped us. Truly beautiful scenery too. Heading to Tromso tomorrow. I'll post a couple of pieces soon.
Yes! We are interested. Glad you are doing ok and enjoying it.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Rather you than me. I froze my wotsits off walking over the bridge to Tromsdalen and that was in June.
Yep. Walked over there yesterday. -3c with a breeze. Caught the bus today šŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back