20231029_093414.jpg

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Coming South now through Finland and Sweden. The Comfortmatic gearbox didn't like the -16c overnight temperature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Coming South now through Finland and Sweden. The Comfortmatic gearbox didn't like the -16c overnight temperature.
I'd be interested in the what symptoms the Comformatic gearbox was giving at those temperatures? We did Norway this year Apr to Jul (Wimps I know) but did get stuck in Trondheim end of Apr for 4 days in snow. Caught the locals out, many who had just changed over to summer tyres.

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Great photo with the road (y) we came across the reindeer too they like licking the salt off the roads. You may also have seen black bin liners attached to posts in various places they are put up as it is a crossing point for the reindeer. We picked up a hitchhiker near Jokkmokk who explained all of this and about the Sami people who look after the reindeer.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
One of the endearing memories of a road trip to Nordkapp was the reindeer all over the road, that was May time though, much easier conditions than you are experiencing, enjoying all your photos especially the Northern Lights

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I'd be interested in the what symptoms the Comformatic gearbox was giving at those temperatures? We did Norway this year Apr to Jul (Wimps I know) but did get stuck in Trondheim end of Apr for 4 days in snow. Caught the locals out, many who had just changed over to summer tyres.
It made some funny noises when I first started it up. Then there was a sort of fluid trickling noise. So much so I looked underneath to see if something had burst. The dashboard light came on too and said refer to manual. I just sat there with engine running to warm things up for about 10 minutes. It also said gear unavailable for a while. It was OK once warm and once I restarted the engine the warning light went out. I drove round the parking area a couple of times before hitting the road to check it was all working. Today I occasionally get a slight gear crunch when it changes down when I'm braking but that seems to have gone away now. I will get it looked at when I'm back. Fingers crossed it gets me back. It was only -5 this morning so no problems.

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Would appear that the extreme cold is the issue, I have looked in the comformatic manual for winter ops and there isn't any information. Warming up the engine before setting off seems to be the right and only course of action. Enjoy the trip and fantastic photos. You could be in for more snow if this storm pushes further north and east.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Thanks for the reply. Would appear that the extreme cold is the issue, I have looked in the comformatic manual for winter ops and there isn't any information. Warming up the engine before setting off seems to be the right and only course of action. Enjoy the trip and fantastic photos. You could be in for more snow if this storm pushes further north and east.
Thanks. We've got snow now and had to stop in a rest area that says no camping but we will risk it. Don't mind driving in the snow but not so much when it's dark. Trying to get to Sundsvall tomorrow where its rain Saturday rather than snow. Otherwise will be holed up for the day. Deployed the chains for the first time today.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Great photo with the road (y) we came across the reindeer too they like licking the salt off the roads. You may also have seen black bin liners attached to posts in various places they are put up as it is a crossing point for the reindeer. We picked up a hitchhiker near Jokkmokk who explained all of this and about the Sami people who look after the reindeer.
That sounds great. We saw some of the houses had Sami tents outside.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our Scandi friends are, mostly, already at their apartments in Spain, with more Norwegians arriving at the weekend.

As nice as Norway, is, and we've been four times, it has, cold, dark, damp winters usually.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Nothing to report really today except to say thanks to those who said the Swedish roads are faster and straighter. That is certainly true. Near Uppsala now. Had to dash South to avoid the heavy snow forecast just a bit North of here.

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Are you planning on visiting Stokholm? There is a museum that has the VASS. The Swedish equivalent of the Mary Rose but on steroids. The ship was raised before the Mary Rose and was floated into her current location. I was planning on going but weather delays on my Norway trip made it impossible but there is always next year!!!

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Are you planning on visiting Stokholm? There is a museum that has the VASS. The Swedish equivalent of the Mary Rose but on steroids. The ship was raised before the Mary Rose and was floated into her current location. I was planning on going but weather delays on my Norway trip made it impossible but there is always next year!!!
Thanks for the info but we are visiting Uppsala tomorrow then heading for Oslo and some more places in Norway before getting the ferry back to Hirtshals in Denmark.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Sounds like the guidance we were given to be out before the end of October or risk not getting out was a good call 👍

You are ‘braver’ than me
I think travelling at all further North tomorrow will not be possible. We would have lost a couple of days at least.

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the interest in our trip. We are back now but you can see the whole trip on Polar steps.

Follow me on my trip ‘Norway’ at

Here a few thoughts and observations.
1/ I would use studded tyres next time. The Michelin Agilis Alpins were great but with studded tyres all the anxiety of sliding off the road on ice would disappear. We did many miles on icy roads.
2/ I feel sure there must be some winter fluids for the comfortmatic box. This nearly let us down at-16c. I'll investigate.
3/ I took stuff like the kayak....but the fjords were too cold dark rough and scary to use it at this time of year. Many of the lakes were frozen over.
4/ ditto the BBQ. Outdoor chairs, etc.
5/ I think I would start in the North and work down . I would go through Sweden to get there.
6/ Might get an engine pre-heater.
7 / Lofoten and Lapland were the highlights but it was all great.
8/ The drivers in Norway are great. I just didn’t see any bad driving.
9/ Park4night and Search for sites were invaluable.
10/ Just go if you haven't already 😀

Thanks all,
Mark and Sarah.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the interest in our trip. We are back now but you can see the whole trip on Polar steps.

1/ I would use studded tyres next time. The Michelin Agilis Alpins were great but with studded tyres all the anxiety of sliding off the road on ice would disappear. We did many miles on icy roads.
2/ I feel sure there must be some winter fluids for the comfortmatic box. This nearly let us down at-16c. I'll investigate.
3/ I took stuff like the kayak....but the fjords were too cold dark rough and scary to use it at this time of year. Many of the lakes were frozen over.
5/ I think I would start in the North and work down . I would go through Sweden to get there.

Thanks all,
Mark and Sarah.
Definitely agree on the tyres - we used Michelin Cross Climate which were fantastic but not really designed to do what we did in Feb all the way to Tromso!

OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Definitely agree on the tyres - we used Michelin Cross Climate which were fantastic but not really designed to do what we did in Feb all the way to Tromso!
That must have been fantastic. I want to go back in the winter but I'd like to do a summer trip too.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi everyone,

Thanks all,
Mark and Sarah.
Thanks for posting your trip!

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
That must have been fantastic. I want to go back in the winter but I'd like to do a summer trip too.
Nerve racking to say the least and very challenging driving conditions but would love to visit in the summer as so much more to see.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi everyone,

Thanks all,
Mark and Sarah.
Thank you for sharing your trip. Looking at heading up to Tromso through Sweden late June after our sons wedding in Italy, and working way down Norway getting back to Denmark late Septembersh but flexible. I will look at your stops on your journey(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back