Nordic travel plans August / September 2017 (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
For the Scandinavian camping card you need a Camping Key Europe card.

If you're members of the Caravan Club you can get a card from them. Or get one from Scandinavian campsites on arrival.

We've already got ferry discounts with the card.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we are just ordering maps and books, first road maps have turned up, there are hardly any roads to look at them though o_O

also going to order the book @lorger mentioned, need to find his link again, camping spots in Norway that also covers Sweden and Denmark (y) sent the link to work, cant find it now o_O, it looks like it is all written in Norwegian though, so we be dependent on pictures and symbols :)

Just noticed this @DavidG58 as I've been on nightshift, yes that's the book and your more than welcome to ours. I think it's the 2014 edition as we won't be going back for a couple of years. If you'd like it PM me your details and I'll post it next week once I find it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just noticed this @DavidG58 as I've been on nightshift, yes that's the book and your more than welcome to ours. I think it's the 2014 edition as we won't be going back for a couple of years. If you'd like it PM me your details and I'll post it next week once I find it :)

Thanks Gerry, very much appreciated

Hold on to the book though, we are meeting @Jenben at Shrewsbury before we go, will be borrowing theirs :)(y)

David

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David I'm very surprised at your foresight and happy to see it. My suggestion would be to start watching some Swedish Noir Dramas as after watching series 1 of The bridge I was pretty sure I could speak Danish.

department Q is available on I player.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
My suggestion would be to start watching some Swedish Noir Dramas as after watching series 1 of The bridge I was pretty sure I could speak Danish.

Tack :)

I may also have to get one of these so I can blend in...
2d54104bc3d5d538e9e575022da45d3e.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
David I'm very surprised at your foresight and happy to see it. My suggestion would be to start watching some Swedish Noir Dramas as after watching series 1 of The bridge I was pretty sure I could speak Danish.

department Q is available on I player.

We watch all the Scandinavian dramas and not sure it's safe now...:eek:

;)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so much for planning, had a small scare with mum today refusing to go to a 'holiday hotel' convinced we were putting her there for good

I should be so lucky o_O

convinced her it was temporary only, but also found we can extend the 'break' for us both by a further week, but starting earlier

taken up the option, now means we can leave as I originally hoped for directly from Shrewsbury :)(y)

with the extra week, we could now get further north, or just take a bit more time to do the revised route which I think is favourite :)(y)

plans still nicely fluid though, the arctic circle has a certain appeal, always has to me, but maybe it can wait till next year :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
For the Scandinavian camping card you need a Camping Key Europe card.
If you're members of the Caravan Club you can get a card from them. Or get one from Scandinavian campsites on arrival.
We've already got ferry discounts with the card.

Can't see any reference on the CC nor the Camping Key Europe websites on the validity of the card, is it an annual thing or lifetime?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Can't see any reference on the CC nor the Camping Key Europe websites on the validity of the card, is it an annual thing or lifetime?

It's an annual card (necessary to use at some Scandinavian campsites, you can buy from them). It's similar to the CCI card.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We are not planning on heading as far North as others. I have done some route planning and suggested this route to mrjenben ( see below).

View attachment 160023

He was impressed with my planning work until he realised I had snaffled it from the leaflet in the ACSI book.

How long are acsi suggesting for that trip? Could be interested in that.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
How long are acsi suggesting for that trip? Could be interested in that.

The leaflet says it's a 33 day trip of c1935 miles starting in Rosenfelde and finishing in Aalborg.

We are planning on going in the opposite direction, that is if we follow it ( we are easily distracted !).

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Bailey58 I got my camping key Europe card via the C&MC , I think it was £5 plus postage and is valid for one year. You can then register it online and download an app .

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have a list of suggested places to visit (in no particular order) provided by our friend Jan. If anyone's interested I'll put them on here.
Please put them up I would certainly be interested (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Okay

The names are in Norwegian. One or two of them I've put the English name.

Lofoten: Reine, Moskenes, Svolvoer, Bodo, Saltstraumen.

Helgelandskysten: De Sju Sostre

Jotunheimen National Park:. Galdhopiggen, Fanaraken, Bessegen

Borgefell National Park

Atlanterhavsveien (Atlantic Ocean Road)

Runde Fuglefjell

Sunnmorsalpene (Skalatarnet 1848m, Slogen, Kolastinden). Think these are all mountains!

Hardangervidda National Park (Harteigen 1690m, Rallarvegen, Tinnholen). Mountains again.

Trolltunga

Gaustatoppen 1883m

Lysefjord, Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...3b4fe3463d15:0xd9264b6a530cac47!1m0!3e0?hl=en

This is our planned route for late May through June...We will set off when the roads have reopened after the winter closures...

Just looking for your opinions for a route back to perhaps Varberg south of Gothenburg to catch the ferry back to Denmark.

We will also try to include the ideas noted above...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is our planned route for late May through June...We will set off when the roads have reopened after the winter closures...

Just looking for your opinions for a route back to perhaps Varberg south of Gothenburg to catch the ferry back to Denmark.

We will also try to include the ideas noted above...

we were looking at a similar route before we had to replan, we were going to do it the other way round, due to only having 4/5 weeks max, relatively racing up through Sweden, pretty much sticking to the east coast, then crossing over to Norway pretty much at the top of Sweden, Tromso, Lofoten Isles, then coming down the Norwegian coast line to around the Atlantic Road then back to Sweden or possibly via Lillehammer / Oslo for the return

You don't say how much of May and June you have for your trip, but I surprised myself with how many miles are involved, in Norway not fast routes with tightly controlled speed limits (I have been told)

But we hope to get up past Tromso, but it will need to be next year or even the year after now

jfcamping

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Oldbury
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Newbie to Motohoming but been camping all my life
Enjoy we we have just got back from Kerteminde camping after seeing family. Traffic through Germany was a nightmare mainly down to all the roadworks but worth it in the end. I fancy doing a trip like this but her in doors prefers to South from Calais.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
we were looking at a similar route before we had to replan, we were going to do it the other way round, due to only having 4/5 weeks max, relatively racing up through Sweden, pretty much sticking to the east coast, then crossing over to Norway pretty much at the top of Sweden, Tromso, Lofoten Isles, then coming down the Norwegian coast line to around the Atlantic Road then back to Sweden or possibly via Lillehammer / Oslo for the return

You don't say how much of May and June you have for your trip, but I surprised myself with how many miles are involved, in Norway not fast routes with tightly controlled speed limits (I have been told)

But we hope to get up past Tromso, but it will need to be next year or even the year after now

At the moment we expect to leave central France where we live late in May, its 1750 kms to the port in Denmark which will take 3 days, perhaps 3.5... Luckily it will be easy cruising in the main.. We are thinking of 4 weeks meandering up Norway, if we are behind time we will turn south after leaving the Lofoten Islands, if we are ahead of time we might press on to the North Cape.

As I noted on an earlier post, I'm a bit lost on the best route back, via Sweden but travelling mainly in forests or the direct route back to Oslo and south....

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
first major replanning now under way :(

To be expected I guess, Mum wasn't happy at the care home we had her in, our local, seemed half decent with reasonable reviews, but we were only 70% happy with it and Mums comments after her second stay there (those that we can reasonably trust) have tipped us back to needing to change

Found a lovely BUPA set up (Richmond Villages) retirement complexes with everything from 100% independent living to assisted living, which mum needs, through to full nursing care, the first 2 living side by side all in individual apartments, mostly privately owned, but some available for 'holidays' as they call them in preference to 'respite'

Trouble is though the places are very popular, Mum is currently on trial at one and loving it, all we can hope for and lovely place with great staff and great facilities, Mum has her own one bedroomed apartment with own kitchen and lounge with separate en suite bathroom. Breakfast materials provided in the room or full cooked in restaurant, lunch and diner in restaurant, with collection and return to room if wanted (of course Mum loves that sort of attention) :)

We had provisionally booked a 2 centre option, but on consideration and advice from BUPA have decided the confusion of the move mid 'holiday' could do her no good at all, so have managed to bring her start date forward by a week, so we can go to Shrewsbury after we have dropped her off on the 9th or 10th August, then set off for Norway via the Chunnel on the Sunday 13th.

But we have to pick Mum up on the 6th Sept, so must be back home on the 5th, reducing our days of travel to only 23 days from Shrewsbury to home again :( really don't want to cancel Norway or reduce any further, so going to attempt to get it all in as planned on page 1 and see how it goes, rescheduling on the way if we have to, but definitely making plans for a repeat / longer trip back next year (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi David. .. reading your last post and thinking if it was me I'd be tempted to forget about travelling way up north this time... have you considered looking just at the southern end of Norway and the costal area south of bergen. .. it is beautiful...
I'm thinking that would be a better option than trying to put the miles in to get up north and back....
Just my thoughts... but whatever you do hope you enjoy it...
Andy..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Andy, (y) I have already removed the arctic circle, we had already opted to abandon Nordkap in favour of the Lofoten Isles, but the revised option 'only' takes us up to the top of the Atlantic Coast Road at Kristiansund.

Revision still a possibility, but trying to avoid it for now, hopefully meet you at Falkirk to discuss further :)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just realised another 'negative' in the reschedule, by travelling that bit earlier the chances of being dark enough for northern light sightings are vanishing :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back