Nordic travel plans August / September 2017 (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good luck with the fish things. The ones we bought had the consistency of .... hard to explain .... no can't!!! :unsure:

Hope yours are better than ours were.

We even threw some away! At Norwegian prices :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Loved ours. Even Bev who doesn't do fish. They were the most expensive they had with highest % fish but really nice

BTW moulin I do the cooking and not ashamed of this one, decent starter for the jarlsberg and crackers later (y)

Edit - with a snack size bounty and snickers while I wait

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I thought while nobody but Bev could see and comment I would try a Norge beard :) it highlights how grey the top has gone :LOL: 5 days in now looking very scruffy my be gone soon(y)
Stick it out, Bev might feel like she's got a new man:LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all forgot to update a couple of oddities from yesterday.

We had been warned that fuel prices change daily, seemingly in line with peak need. On Monday we found high prices which followed this logic but still had half a tank so left it, by yesterday' now needed some and leaving Mo I Rana for what looked to be pretty wild country decided we had to fill up. But still showing 1.4 NK £1.40 / litre had no option and I have said this trip was never going to be cheap so just fill up. It only makes about £12 difference on the whole tank anyway. But the point of my waffle is we only got charged 1.23 NK

:)(y)

I didn't actually check the pump before filling but presume it must have showed the lower amount

While refuelling noticed loads of people topping up washer bottles so many that I wonder if they were giving it away free. A plus side of this was they had a huge open container for empty plastic bottles with other plastic bottles added I was able to offload our plastic recycling

We had to throw our first few days in the general waste which is a real shame but we don't have enough room to carry it all. Norway only has obvious recycling for glass and tins nothing else, I am really amazed and hope they sort all the general rubbish as it arrives as we now mostly do in the UK

As we headed north we drove into masses of road improvements, plus another toll o_O I don't really mind paying for the new roads and tunnels but to pay and then mainly drive on rough roads past roadworks was slightly odd

Moving further north today Bodo then overnighting just up the coast at Kerringoy. I can't do a link on my phone but anybody with a few minutes google it, hope its half as good as it looks :)

Photos to follow when back on laptop with decent internet (y)

Edit forgot to add it is 6C pouring down but with very rare and occasional blue bits in the sky, we are over 2.000' feet above sea level and we feel it really could turn to snow. Luckily moving back to coast soon

Double edit spelt Kjerringoy wrong if anybody does try to look

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We found the oddities in the fuel prices also, I posted at the time, but the other way round. Pump price NOK11.48 receipt NOK12.48. Don't normally look at the price on receipts but did this time.

Hope your weather improves. Ours is similar but near Bergen, apparently, rain is expected!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Still in shorts, walked Lola in rain earlier and Bev did say I really should be dresssd more appropriately, she did say she was going to take my shorts off me :) but I think only meant hide them not what I thought :)

Now we have moved lower rain has stopped more or less and sky looks a lot brighter

It might only my imagination but I can see a rainbow

IMG_0021.JPG

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
todays destination above

now parked with free wifi at Nord Norge visitor centre, which also has 4 x Tesla fast charging points, there really are loads of Tesla's over here possibly 1:25 or so of all cars on the road it feels like. There must be some incentive on them over here

Although Norwegians do not seem poor, loads of new cars and Carthago MH's all over the place :)(y)

IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG

there are even 2 normal electric car charging points next this and we are more or less in the middle of nowhere, which might be exactly why they are here I guess :) it is still a long way to anywhere in any direction (y)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi Davd, Bev , Lola:inlove: just caught up after a few days aay with no net contact. It looks a fantastic trip and you look like yor enjoying it (even ifyou are a bit scruffy ((not bev)) ) lola seems to be looking good

Enoy and keep the pictures coming, any resturantsyet?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening all, we have possibly fallen for a great marketing campaign o_O got ferry across about 4:30, think we really upset some locals by taking the space they could all have fitted in, but only a short crossing so half hour wait , but had I realised I would have waited

nice looking area, but spoiled by the weather today at least, found a camp site that had rave reviews and talked about being on the beach, but is more than a mile away and a real dive, reckon they have written their own reviews :(, we are 'wilding' in a new car park far enough from the sea not to blown to bits, seriously windy with heavy rain every half hour or so

massive aurora ratings for next few nights though so just need clear skies, we are about 20 miles north of Bodo on a small island, will maybe stay here for 2 nights depending on the weather tomorrow, will check out the tourist things promised tomorrow if dry enough to venture out. Hope now this isn't a sign of equally over hyped Lofoten Isles o_Oo_O

no photos, too wet and not enough internet anyway

I really thought we had found the perfect spot for a few days rest, but not to be just yet :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
there really are loads of Tesla's over here possibly 1:25 or so of all cars on the road it feels like. There must be some incentive on them over here

It has changed slightly now I think, but up until very recently electric vehicles had no purchase tax, no road tax and all tolls, bridges and ferries were free. So compared to say a BMW which would have 100% purchase tax they are seen as very affordable.......

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is it getting unnoticeably colder the further you drive north David?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Still in shorts :)(y) and last night although really strong winds and raining till midnight heating didn't cut in set on 15C(y)

Still on first bottle of gas 12 nights only 4 on hook up and all cooking and kettle on gas (y)

Think must be mid teens today no breeze and pleasant. Tonight is the best chance for aurora must find good spot for tonight will somewhere around Bodo not sure where yet

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are you planning to take pics of the aurora?

You betcha :):)(y)

Although I am rather suspicious about a lot of the photos we see are long exposures and never seen by eye:(

Just had an awesome sighting of a sea eagle only 50' away stopped to look / photo it flew off and another swooped down and took the fish it had left (y) got a couple of poor pics but brilliant moment for us :) will post what we got later:giggle:

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I envy you David. Currently in stationery traffic on the M11 - road closed after an earlier accident!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had the amazing sight of eagles close by mentioned above, got this photo with no doubt a white tailed sea eagle that we had been watching, blurred poor photo but confirms sighting

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

then this soon after, didn't spook but now not sure if my heart just wants it to be another eagle, huge feet and beak, but might just be a buzzard, don't think so though really more likely to be a juvenile sea eagle

any experts out there looking in @CWH @DBK ?? what do you reckon

IMG_3284.JPG

the sea eagles we saw were much browner than I expected

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Both White-tailed (aka Sea) Eagles I think. The second one possibly a second winter (it's almost winter :)) juvenile. It looks very like the image in my Collins Bird Guide, the pale yellow base to the bill is exactly like the one in the book. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
we had the amazing sight of eagles close by mentioned above, got this photo with no doubt a white tailed sea eagle that we had been watching, blurred poor photo but confirms sighting

View attachment 182866

View attachment 182867

then this soon after, didn't spook but now not sure if my heart just wants it to be another eagle, huge feet and beak, but might just be a buzzard, don't think so though really more likely to be a juvenile sea eagle

any experts out there looking in @CWH @DBK ?? what do you reckon

View attachment 182868

the sea eagles we saw were much browner than I expected

I'd agree about a juvenile sea eagle - legs make it a sea eagle; darker bill than an adult or even a second-plumage immature; a bit bedraggled so difficult to tell length of wing-tips - if the same length as the tail (which I think it is) then it's a male, if shorter it's a female.

Sorry, just got a bit side-tracked, I'll show you why shortly...

EDIT just seen @DBK 's post & would always give way to superior knowledge

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Although I am rather suspicious about a lot of the photos we see are long exposures and never seen by eye:(
I wouldn't worry David - the human eye is way more light sensitive than a camera, thus long exposures needed to capture anything like what you see.
Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back