Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
just found this //// poor sole Self Build Campervans

56 mins

So the news came back for my parents stolen motorhome that they will not be getting any money back from the insurance as the van wasn’t on the drive at the time it was stolen. (Was outside their house) They’ve lost the whole lot. My dads 78 and they’ve never claimed in their lives, yes they should have told them it was on the drive but nothing they can do now. So please still keep a look out for this one. thanks

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
1568655015384.png

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
just found this //// poor sole Self Build Campervans
56 mins

So the news came back for my parents stolen motorhome that they will not be getting any money back from the insurance as the van wasn’t on the drive at the time it was stolen. (Was outside their house) They’ve lost the whole lot. My dads 78 and they’ve never claimed in their lives, yes they should have told them it was on the drive but nothing they can do now. So please still keep a look out for this one. thanks
Any chance of complaining to the ombudsman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
When they applied for the insurance,did they state that the van was kept in the drive,or on the road?
If they said that it was kept on the drive,then unfortunately they only have themselves to blame,sad though it is.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Must have been stolen overnight for them to not pay out. Could have been on the road for a number of reasons during the day and if it’s road legal they would have had to pay out.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
If they can prove it is NORMALLY on the drive and NOT regularly parked on the road they could have some recourse but if that's where they've always parked it, that's a really silly thing to have written in the quote!! WHY.. it makes F all difference to the premium in the scheme of things

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Just wondering did they say it was being kept outside the house or just parked outside for a reasonable and legitimate reason at the time it was stolen.

I Think (and happy to be corrected) that the vehicle may be left unattended in a different location to that specified for a period of time (2 days springs to mind but I haven't checked that) after which the insurance company should be informed and a change to the premium may then be required.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When they applied for the insurance,did they state that the van was kept in the drive,or on the road?
If they said that it was kept on the drive,then unfortunately they only have themselves to blame,sad though it is.
Too glib. There can be very few people who haven't put a vehicle on the road to accommodate guest parking, rearrange parking slots, pressure wash the drive, whatever. Car insurance has the same clause. There is a case, depending on the circumstances, for claiming it's an unreasonable condition.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My bike insurance said it wasn't covered within half mile of my house, unless it was in my brick built garage. That's the contract I agreed to.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
theft is theft doesn't matter where it is stolen from or if the keys are in the ignition. That's what I insure against.
With my vans they always wanted it parked on the drive/in garage/ etc,at night , whereas I pointed out to them that I wished them insured for 24/7 365 use & it was likely to be being used at all hours & there was no "night"

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Too glib. There can be very few people who haven't put a vehicle on the road to accommodate guest parking, rearrange parking slots, pressure wash the drive, whatever. Car insurance has the same clause. There is a case, depending on the circumstances, for claiming it's an unreasonable condition.
Yes,I do tend to be a little glib,and often flippant. Thanks for reminding me of same.
So,why didn’t they pay out? And don’t say,coz all insurance companies are crooks coz that’s boring.
Has the ombudsman or a solicitor been consulted,I wonder?
Does seem a tad unfair,and the words,eye,to,more, that,than,spring to mind.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I think the wording of most policies is 'where is the vehicle normally kept' so there must be a reason why they haven't paid out. Maybe the owner didn't have a driveway?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My bike insurance said it wasn't covered within half mile of my house, unless it was in my brick built garage. That's the contract I agreed to.
My bike insurance too, even on the drive

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I put this reply to another groups fb post but it’s equally valid here;-
Remember folks insurers will only non-indemnify if there has been a significant non disclosure or breach of contract. As it’s a contract based on trust, they trust you have disclosed anything that may impact on their assessment of the risk and you declare you have given them all answers correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief. If you don’t do what you say you will do or provide incorrect information you do so at your peril. There is more to this than the simple headline.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
theft is theft doesn't matter where it is stolen from or if the keys are in the ignition. That's what I insure against.
With my vans they always wanted it parked on the drive/in garage/ etc,at night , whereas I pointed out to them that I wished them insured for 24/7 365 use & it was likely to be being used at all hours & there was no "night"
If you leave the keys in ignition and it's stolen, it's your own daft fault.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, but! the original question used to be

"Where is it usually parked overnight?"

Sounds like a get out clause to me. We are in a fight with our UK insurer (Adrian Flux/Markerstudy). Including the Ombudsman. Still going on from March 2019.

I would fight that, using a hard hitting lawyer.

As you maybe have seen and read, I sun a small fleet. 1/2 of which is outside my UK home.

20% of the fleet is insured in Spain.

Whilst I have never made a claim on the Spanish Policies.

They do not ask

Ages (so long as 25-70)
Where it is parked
Endorsements/Points
Previous Convictions

So long as the driver is legal, you insure the car, not the drivers as such.

TM

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect that even if he won his case the insurers would just return his premium citing his failure to disclose the true facts.

They would claim they would not have insured the vehicle if they were aware of the true facts.

Nothing honest or moral about any insurance company.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I suspect that even if he won his case the insurers would just return his premium citing his failure to disclose the true facts.

They would claim they would not have insured the vehicle if they were aware of the true facts.

Nothing honest or moral about any insurance company.
They are not charities. When you buy insurance, it's a contract. If you don't fulfil that contract, tough.

And nobody has picked up on the fact that they said "yes they should have told them it was on the drive but nothing they can do now. "

So they would have broke the law in hindsight to steal money from the insurers and that's OK?

Words fail me.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They are not charities. When you buy insurance, it's a contract. If you don't fulfil that contract, tough.

And nobody has picked up on the fact that they said "yes they should have told them it was on the drive but nothing they can do now. "

So they would have broke the law in hindsight to steal money from the insurers and that's OK?

Words fail me.

Not quite sure why you think from my post that I said it was ok if they steal money from the insurers.

Is this just yet another fishing expedition on your part?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not quite sure why you think from my post that I said it was ok if they steal money from the insurers.

Is this just yet another fishing expedition on your part?
Woooah right there. I replied. Then added a general reply to everybody.

And I take offence to you implying i do fishing expeditions.

Please stick to the facts.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have some questions before making any kind of judgement.
Did your parents tell the insurer that they had a drive and that the van would be parked on it?
If your parents were waiting for the road to clear before returning it to its "normal" position "on the drive" how long was it it parked on the road outside?
Did your parents lock the van and remove the keys, set any alarm on-board outside their house?
How long was it off their drive?, more than 48 hours?
I feel sorry for all concerned, its a nice looking PVC, and has been said, insurers will not pay out for any deviation of declared storage parameters.
My thoughts are with you,and your parents, hope you get it recovered in a good condition shortly.
I wont ask what security devices it had because its already gone so no point after the event.
Keep us all posted, good luck.
Les

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I wonder What if it had been declared as normally parked on the street and had been stolen when parked on the drive?

iirc sometimes it is more expensive to insure on the driveway, as the address location of the keys is known and the prop can be targeted for a break in, but if parked on the street, the keys could be in any property.

I am sure I asked my insurer whether insured on drive or Street was more expensive, and iirc, ( for my address) it made no difference to the premium.
I think (I will check) I insured for street parking, as I occasionally (v rarely) leave the van on the kerb side overnight as opposed to the driveway. I would hope I would be insured for theft if I had parked it on the driveway as well

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
That clause is quite common on bike policies, albeit usually only between stated night hours (eg. 10pm-7am or the like but not normally during daylight in my experience) in so far as many people claim to garage the bike overnight to get a reduced premium as a garage rightly offers increaced protection (against casual) theft, however they don't bother in practice because of laziness (or that they don't actually h a garage!) and the bike subsequently gets nicked.
To me that seems reasonable, as the garage storage was a significant material fact to get a reduced premium.

I'm less convinced about the driveway vs Street position....
I've also heard chatter that (for cars anyway) stating garage storage can actually increase the premium, as damage from stored items in the garage is a significant risk)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Interesting point. Our cars are normally on the drive, we recently had a new block driveway and the cars were parked in the road for a week. From this it looks like we should have informed our insurance companies.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
When applying for insurance isn’t the question “where is it normally / usually parked?”
I haven’t noticed on the T&C’s “it must always be parked.”

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I took out my insurance policies I had a read of the conditions (not word for word but a quick scim)this is not something they try to hide. The car must be on the drive overnight and the bike is only covered when in the garage at any time. Because of the type of bike I had to take the insurance out by phone, the broker made sure I understood the clause about theft. I also told them I do not use extra security on the bike so it's covered if I haven't put the "extra" lock on.
So many people take insurance for the price and only look at the cover if something goes wrong. I assume that the company is looking for any reason not to pay a claim, so I do my best not to give them the chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back