No 6kg color gas bottles. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Can't get any around Ipswich and both my bottles are empty so panic! Going to the overland show this weekend but wifey has to have her cuppa.
Patio gas is available, so £70 later I have a bottle of patio gas and a regulator, so I can use the cadec, but I could also feed the Motorhome via the Bullfinch barbie connection on the side, only snag is patio gas regulator is set for 37mb's unlike the Motorhome reg which is 30mb's, anyone done this?

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Try the Calor depot at Bury St, Edmunds, they may be able to help.
Let me know if i can help,
Jpoe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've ended up buying a Gaslow direct fill bottle. £170. But I can fill it for a few quid.

I want to get an underslung, but everywhere seems booked up at the moment. Later I could resell the Gaslow for good money. Or, if I decide to keep it, I can get the fittings to give me an external fill point for about £100 and make it permanent.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Couple of flogas places I tried refills only, no new sales.
One place I tried said calor are not refilling small bottles and they doubted they would be able to help this year. :eek:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
olley would this help?
Do Shell garages sell Calor Gas?
The availability of Calor gas cylinders at our stations changes on a regular basis. Please contact us at generalpublicenquires-uk@shell.com or 0800 731 8888 and we will help you.

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Morrisons
Holyhead RoadCoventry CV5 8BX

Skipworth RoadBinleyCoventry CV3 2AN

Old Warwick RoadLeamington Spa CV31 3NU

Alcester Road, stratford upon Avon
CV37 9DA

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
There seems to be a shortage of Calor cylinders so I've purchased and fitted an 11Kg Gaslow kit with the external filler socket. Need to fill it up at the local garage lpg pump and leak check the connections.
The system will repay itself soon as the gas is much cheaper than Calor exchange cylinders.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Gaslow is the way to go.

Like many here I have one GasLow and one Calor
GasLow may cost money to install, but at £6 for 11kg it's a lot cheaper (and less hassle) than swapping Calor bottles at £27 for 11kg.

11kg seems to last about a week without EHU and using heating, but I need a couple of months in the van to ascertain the quantities and under what conditions (Winter/summer, EHU/no EHU)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I jut passed (an our ago ish) a delivery truck full of bottles all sizes whether full or empty is anyone's guess but they were not split so assume they were returns at the end of the day. If they are going in they must be coming out that my theory I only have 2 tubby ones and 1 ran out on the week end will do a phone around later

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not that it’s any help but I changed the 6kg bottle from the workshop last week at our local calor shop. They said they are just keeping up with demand.
A lot of people have started there travels early after being restricted last year. A lot of there customers don’t travel until the summer but have been in for gas already.
We have one bottle in use and one full in the locker so with us being on hook up next trip hopefully we shouldn’t run out for a while.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If your going to Stratford via the A14, then I have a full 6Kg calor your welcome to borrow, and replace when normality resumes.

Have tried your local tidy tip for any that have been handed into them ?
Thanks for that very kind offer tt but I have the patio gas, so I can use the cadac for cooking, and for drinks we have wine and cider. As its going to be a scorcher of a weekend :unsure:we won't need heating.
May even be able to buy gas at the show.

Twos company

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
I’ve got any empty calor 6kg and a full 6kg
But I am a fair distance away from you
If you can get any one to collect them
£40 for both

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
I spoke to our local Flogas depot last week, while arranging the swap out of an empty 11KG bottle. They said they have had a massive shortage but are expecting to be back to normal in a couple of weeks due to a massive delivery of steel.

If anyone is desperate I have 2 x 6KG Calor bottles (one full one over half full) which I am planning to empty then get rid of - but can shift earlier if anyone is stuck.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just had a look , I've got three full 6kg and one empty one for the moho , all bought from Facebook , I've also got 2 full 13kg bottles left over from space heaters , a13kg patio gas bottle from a patio heater and a 5kg patio gas bottle for the fire pit.

No wonder there's a bottle shortage if I'm typical

The only thing I use on gas at home is the fire pit so I'll have to change the regulator so I can get it used up :D

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
Hi, Might be able to help. We have two full 6KG bottles and are going to Newbury, can take if needed,[Audrey won't be able to take so much junk]Can sell to Funster £30.00 each

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
The Liverpool Calor Gas Yard on Derby Road has shut down and is now empty!
There is a list of about 4 approved centres on the notice board.
May not just be a shortage of bottles!

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I know this won’t help but I bought two Safefill bottles (10 and 7.5 a total of 34 litres of gas which lasts AGES) and they are so much lighter than the Calor tanks. I have heard people have had problems finding garages that both have AND allow refills but so far they’ve been brilliant. Initial cost is a bummer but gas infinitely cheaper and makes a HUGE difference to payload. The larger one is for internal use and the smaller one for the BBQ.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have a nearly full Calor 6kg propane in my garage. I wonder how much it is worth at present? :unsure:

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
I was thinking of changing to Safefill but haven’t been able to to find any bottles available. They aren’t selling bottles online at the moment due to the shortage.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Calor are a disgrace. They charge exorbitant rates, they promised over a year ago to replace the calor lite bottles but haven’t, they have tried to put the squeeze on garages selling gas at the pumps and now they can’t supply when need is greatest. What a way to run a business.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Can't get any around Ipswich and both my bottles are empty so panic! Going to the overland show this weekend but wifey has to have her cuppa.
Patio gas is available, so £70 later I have a bottle of patio gas and a regulator, so I can use the cadec, but I could also feed the Motorhome via the Bullfinch barbie connection on the side, only snag is patio gas regulator is set for 37mb's unlike the Motorhome reg which is 30mb's, anyone done this?
Hi Thetford garden centre have some if your heading that way

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
Calor are a disgrace. They charge exorbitant rates, they promised over a year ago to replace the calor lite bottles but haven’t, they have tried to put the squeeze on garages selling gas at the pumps and now they can’t supply when need is greatest. What a way to run a business.
Six weeks ago I searched around most places that supply Calor gas in Dundee. Their 'empties' cages were full of empty 6kg bottles but they had no full ones.
So, people are crying out for 6kg bottles and Calor can't be bothered making the extra effort of collecting empties and refilling on rapid turnaround.

Did eventually get one from a supplier that had just had a delivery in Perth.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Best thing I ever did was to get Safefil, had the 8kg for about 10 years and last year got the 10 kg and its paid for its self already. We are lucky as we have a local garage that stocks it and the old fashioned attendant service. It seems to last ages and I have only filled it myself a couple of times, once in Spain and then just the other day on the A1 near Peterboro. So in the current situation it has been a Godsend especially as Rally,s and Shows have started up again. I keep a calor 6kg as a standby but I agree that Calor is a ripoff on price.

countryman

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good morning i know it is a bit late,but Thurlow Nunn in Melton sell them,hope this helps.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Six weeks ago I searched around most places that supply Calor gas in Dundee. Their 'empties' cages were full of empty 6kg bottles but they had no full ones.
So, people are crying out for 6kg bottles and Calor can't be bothered making the extra effort of collecting empties and refilling on rapid turnaround.

Did eventually get one from a supplier that had just had a delivery in Perth.
Surely it’s simple economics, one delivers goods and collects empty to return, avoid dead mileage. At the end of the day it’s not life and death if someone can not get a bottle of gas for their motorhome or caravan. If it’s so much bother use ehu.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Cannock Caravan Accessories had loads of Safefill in last week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back