Newcastle- Amsterdam advice please (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Just looking for some advice, we’re going to head over for the show in Düsseldorf next year and we always travel through the night with two dogs down to the Chunnel when heading abroad, bit of a trek from west Cumbria and we’re zombies by the time we reach France.
the intention is to go by ferry probably Newcastle to Amsterdam have a price of £900 plus and that’s not a dog friendly cabin or food, even the cost of fuel plus Chunnel doesn’t come anywhere near, but getting a decent rest does appeal going ferry which we’ve never done before.
Any tips to get the ferry cheaper or is booking ASAP the best way to get the lower prices.
All advice welcome
Cheers
Mark

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but getting a decent rest does appeal

Do you have to mention Newcastle Ferry !

I remember trying to stay in bed by hanging on to the edge of the bed for grim death, then I changed tack and clung on to the toilet like I was in love with it, all the time asking for a quick death.

Be careful what you wish for. Do dogs get sea sick ?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Can't help with the price but the ferry was excellent, nice restaurant, cabins fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use that route often and the couple of times that we traveled in September we paid just over £300 return, we booked through cmc. Also have a look at Hull to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge, we are using that route home on Saturday and have paid £210 single with breakfast included again with CMC

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Do you have to mention Newcastle Ferry !

I remember trying to stay in bed by hanging on to the edge of the bed for grim death, then I changed tack and clung on to the toilet like I was in love with it, all the time asking for a quick death.

Be careful what you wish for. Do dogs get sea sick ?
Oh I do remember going Newcastle to Oslo when I was a kid I’ve never seen so much vomit, in corridors, down the side of the boat everywhere.
not sure if dogs get sea sick ????

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Same as lorger try CMC you can get a price on line, we crossed from Hull return for £550 , like you we always used the Chunnel due to dog, sadly now gone. We did look at the kennels on the Hull route many years ago but didn’t like the look of them. There are no dog cabin options from Hull

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We use that route often and the couple of times that we traveled in September we paid just over £300 return, we booked through cmc.
Cheers will have look at that size of the m/ home doesn’t help ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In 2013 we had a 7.5m van and booked an upgraded cabin for 3 in June and cost was around £400 return and with same van in September 14 we did return for £325 both booked well in advance with cmc and in 2016 with 6.4 van it cost around £340 again booked well in advance with cmc

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We use it regularly as Mrs Whack is half Danish with relatives there. We tend to travel Commodore Class, not because we're flash but because I'm a tight Northern git and it's a bargain. We pick up a nice quiche (flan!), salad and sit in the luxurious cabin for dinner, you get free wine, beer and snacks in the Commodore lounge, and then to finish off a full breakfast the next morning as you pull into Amsterdam. You can get discount through the various clubs - we certainly paid less than £900 in May when we last went.

It's a very civilised way to travel and you cut out all the traffic down south.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We use it regularly as Mrs Whack is half Danish with relatives there. We tend to travel Commodore Class, not because we're flash but because I'm a tight Northern git and it's a bargain. We pick up a nice quiche (flan!), salad and sit in the luxurious cabin for dinner, you get free wine, beer and snacks in the Commodore lounge, and then to finish off a full breakfast the next morning as you pull into Amsterdam. You can get discount through the various clubs - we certainly paid less than £900 in May when we last went.

It's a very civilised way to travel and you cut out all the traffic down south.
Cheers, the traffic is another reason, we travel through night to avoid it, but you lose a day of the holiday catching up on sleep, the m6 m1 are a nightmare with the smart motorway upgrading, will give them a call but may be just a little too soon for them to be taking bookings, it seems going though one of the clubs is the cheapest option
?

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Book early
Travelling Mondays etc and September rather than August can make a big difference
Different boats for next year
No Commodore lounge apparently though cabins will be available but no detail yet?

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
We did it in May, 8 m Pilote, return was about £400, cabin included for a family of four. Not a bad deal but we booked well in advance, 6 weeks, I think...

But caution all ye. Get a cool bag and take your own food and drink, they want a pint of your first born's blood for a dinner for four. £35/hd! Taking the piss. The drink is extortionate as well, and the coffee, and the soft drinks, crisps, buns, nibbles. I am guessing that's how they claw it all back to counter act the budget ticket.

I would use the route again.

If you are going into Amsterdam there is a really good serviced m/h site with automatic entry right in the town in the old dock area, its about a forty five minute drive from the ferry. It's a five minute walk to the FREE ferry into the centre of town. The docks are getting a bit of a face lift and its all a bit bohemian at the mo; really rather pleasant. Sadly I can't remember its name, but city-camp rings a bell... its on the usual sites.

We booked for two and ended staying for four it was that convenient for the tourist thing.

Have fun.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Oh I do remember going Newcastle to Oslo when I was a kid I’ve never seen so much vomit, in corridors, down the side of the boat everywhere.
not sure if dogs get sea sick ????
They get car sick,,BUSBY.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
We are staying in Amsterdam at the moment but in a hotel Botel which is next to the ferry the site that Bonkers the Dog mentions would be perfect for exploring Amsterdam ferry’s run all day from 7am to 1.30am

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m undecided. We did Hull Rotterdam in August. Journey across M66 was dreadful. Nose to tail the whole way. We should have arrived 2 hours early but made it with 5 minutes to spare. I also hate sleeping in other beds and had a rotten nights sleep on the boat so was shattered.

This month we did tunnel. Outward was great ... drove Ayr to Carlisle after work. Decent nights sleep then down to the tunnel during the day, made good time down, no hold ups, good night’s sleep in Pays de Calais.

Coming back was another story. We got to Folkestone at 5:30pm and drove through rain most of the way ... and were standstill at the Smart Motorway works at Stoke for 2 1/2 hours. Eventually home at 6.15am.

I think next time we will use Tunnel again. Same outgoing. But come back so we arrive in Folkestone 11am which, even on a bad run, gets us home for midnight.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I know this is a zombie thread but just wondering if anyone has used the crossing last month or two.
Just curious how you found things now.
It will not make a difference as we are booked and going whatever :dance2:

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
I know this is a zombie thread but just wondering if anyone has used the crossing last month or two.
Just curious how you found things now.
It will not make a difference as we are booked and going whatever :dance2:
How was the trip? We’re looking at options for a trip to Netherlands this year.
thnx,
Heeb

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I’m undecided. We did Hull Rotterdam in August. Journey across M66 was dreadful. Nose to tail the whole way. We should have arrived 2 hours early but made it with 5 minutes to spare. I also hate sleeping in other beds and had a rotten nights sleep on the boat so was shattered.

This month we did tunnel. Outward was great ... drove Ayr to Carlisle after work. Decent nights sleep then down to the tunnel during the day, made good time down, no hold ups, good night’s sleep in Pays de Calais.

Coming back was another story. We got to Folkestone at 5:30pm and drove through rain most of the way ... and were standstill at the Smart Motorway works at Stoke for 2 1/2 hours. Eventually home at 6.15am.

I think next time we will use Tunnel again. Same outgoing. But come back so we arrive in Folkestone 11am which, even on a bad run, gets us home for midnight.
The joys of UK travel,,,BUSBY.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I did this crossing late last year. Not expensive, I think I paid about £350, food good, cabin pretty standard. Ferry terminals either end are very easy.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
How was the trip? We’re looking at options for a trip to Netherlands this year.
thnx,
Heeb
Went fine
Splashed out for the better cabins and the Bistro restaurant
Not book for next summer yet but more than likely we will be using it again. It's just very handy for us at both ends.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just looking for some advice, we’re going to head over for the show in Düsseldorf next year and we always travel through the night with two dogs down to the Chunnel when heading abroad, bit of a trek from west Cumbria and we’re zombies by the time we reach France.
the intention is to go by ferry probably Newcastle to Amsterdam have a price of £900 plus and that’s not a dog friendly cabin or food, even the cost of fuel plus Chunnel doesn’t come anywhere near, but getting a decent rest does appeal going ferry which we’ve never done before.
Any tips to get the ferry cheaper or is booking ASAP the best way to get the lower prices.
All advice welcome
Cheers
Mark
Not read all the thread but on the evidence of one voyage I would avoid it.
We had a cheap cabin out and a commodore cabin back (DFDS?).
Perhaps by coincidence bonkers adjacent to us on both trips(the same ones).
Kids running about the corridors all night.
Never never again.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Done this route a number of times over the years. Live just outside of Newcastle. Used it in September. Left home and 40 minutes later in the bar on board.

Book early as you can as prices do go up.

Play around with dates and days to get best prices as can vary a fare bit too.

July and august are expensive. As you would expect.

I have looked at this year and prices seem to have gone up a bit. But it’s very handy.

Whilst it may be around 200 miles to Calais area, it’s around 390 to the south coast for us. So always factor in a 400 mile saving for costs and time.obviously if heading to Germany then it’s a saving also.

Restaurants are canny. Standard cabins at cramped but adequate.

Onboard prices are acceptable but more than with BF to Santander, as we have just found.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Not read all the thread but on the evidence of one voyage I would avoid it.
We had a cheap cabin out and a commodore cabin back (DFDS?).
Perhaps by coincidence bonkers adjacent to us on both trips(the same ones).
Kids running about the corridors all night.
Never never again.
We went out and back in November, stuck on the boat for seven hrs due to the car ramps being jammed, basic cabin as didn’t have dogs with us, upgraded restaurant on way back which was a good meal to be honest, as for rested, not sure as the cabins are very hot and confined, but certainly wasn’t going to pay double to have a window that doesn’t open

Aug 17, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 890
Exp
Get ya sick bag ready, last time I did this crossing we had a major storm!! Thought I was on the titanic at times. We upgraded to commodore suite, which is a must but far to rough for me. Stick to the tunnel and stop for a decent 6hr sleep outside calais ( not safe to stop in MH in Calais anymore!)

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Get ya sick bag ready, last time I did this crossing we had a major storm!! Thought I was on the titanic at times. We upgraded to commodore suite, which is a must but far to rough for me. Stick to the tunnel and stop for a decent 6hr sleep outside calais ( not safe to stop in MH in Calais anymore!)
Portsmouth to Santander next for us 30 Jan, heading Spain and Portugal for a couple of months, can’t wait as I’m sick of all this rain😩

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Used this route a few times now with no problems , agree the cost of food and drink is a bit steep and would take our own food and use the Commodore rooms if available. Prices are up this year but will look to book via one of the clubs to see if this reduces the price. Easy drive for us from Glasgow to Newcastle , rather than all the way down South for tunnel or ferry.
If you are visiting Amsterdam I would recommend this site in Landsmeer , you can get the bus into Amsterdam right outside the site, takes about 30 mins and goes right into main terminal in Amsterdam, or easy cycle to the ferry into Amsterdam.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back