Newby to motorhome forums. (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2021
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 649
Exp
Since 2016
I have a 2016 Swift Kontiki 649 purchased new and as with most not used it over the last 18 months. First time used last month first found that the Alde water central heating stopped working. Found that the small circulation pump stopped working at a replacement over £200. The Motorhome is kept warm inside all winter with a fan heater , I perhaps should have used the MH heating system to keep it working. After sorting that we planned our first outing only to find that the Dometic Fridge stopped working. All systems, 12v 240v and gas systems all work ok but it does not get cold, in fact it gets warmer. We were advised to remove it and turn it upside and to give it a good shake. After all this no difference so I am now looking to replace the fridge even though it has only worked for around 60 days in total from new. The fridge is a Dometic RMS8555 a wheel arch version which I now find is discontinued. These MH fridges normally cost around £1500 which I think is daylight robbery when you compare with a domestic home fridge that last for years at 24 hours a day for a fraction of the cost. However does anyone know where I can get another fridge to fit the hole where the RMS8555 fitted, and I will pay the asking price, perhaps.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a tale of woe, I hope someone can give you the info you need. Meanwhile, welcome to MotorhomeFun (y)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome 👍🏻 Sorry to hear of your problems .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Aug 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 649
Exp
Since 2016
Hi thanks for the nice welcome, I have checked with Jackson leisure and although they look a good shop the 10.5xt is out of stock and they can't say when they will be getting one in. However that was two weeks ago, I will give them another call, thanks.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hope I don't come across as condescending, but it might just be a part or parts that need replacing, I replaced the thermostat on the gas side on my last Moho. Perhaps both thermostats need replacing on yours? As suggested it's well worth getting someone to look at it or going through some sort of fault finding process, checking fuses, supply etc.

Welcome to the House of Fun ...

OP
OP
C
Aug 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 649
Exp
Since 2016
Hi MisterB,
Thanks for the suggestion and I have contacted a company in Nottingham who suggested running it on gas for no more than 1.5 hrs and to then check the temperature, this I did but it was warmer than when I started. He also suggested that I drive along a very bumpy road to shake it up because when stood for a long time stuff solidifies in the cooling system, that's when I did better than that and removed the fridge, shook it up and turned it upside down and left it for about 3hrs, put it back in ,left for another 24hours, still no joy. When reporting back to him he told me that the cooling system needed replacing. He said he could do that but advised that by the time he had done it would be almost as costly as buying a new fridge and gave me a few companies such as Jacksons Leisure to try. I did check the thermistor when I removed the fridge but that checked out ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Knock Knock Hello GIF by Shay Mitchell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!