Newbies to France - Brainstorm (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
What brilliant advice as ever from fellow Funsters. Someone advised on another thread to take a copy of your sight test prescription just in case you lose your glasses (and don’t have a spare pair!)! Sound advice. My wife also carries a card in her purse listing her health conditions and allergies in case of emergency. May be worth getting these translated should anything untoward happen whilst in France.
Recently occurred to me in Spain. Thought I was in trouble til they could get fixed but went into a pharmacie and they had all the lenses to try and work out yourself what prescription you needed.
2 pairs of glasses for 9.99 euros

The glasses are only for reading so no idea if they did them for longer sight issues though

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One other thing comes to mind which is the direction of signposts at crossroads or roundabouts in France.

When we first went over we got confused and often went the wrong way.

We are now zoned in on the direction of signs and satnavs help but the angles of the arrows indicated to us keep going round but were meant to take you off. No idea if anyone else struggled with this

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
France is not a third world country, if anything breaks, if you've forgotten or run out of anything etc just don't worry, everything you need is readily available. French supermarkets and DIY stores are fantastic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for that 'movie.' I'm so fatigued I past 'wipe out' a week ago (bad day) but I feel as if I've had a lovely day out. You've found some beautiful places to stay. Really enjoyed your movie! I would be interested in the places and the costs of the sites if that info is available. Thanks again!
In order of the YouTube sequence and costs AFAICR on a per night basis as follows:-
Pourville sur Mer car park 0
Fresnay sur Sarthe aire 0
Beaumont St Cyr ACSI site €18
Clerac aire 0
Le Goelands, Ares. ACSI site €18
Biarritz CCP aire €14
San Sebastian aire €4
Camping Regaton, Laredo ACSI €19
La Barre, Bayonne aire 0 (machine broken)
Langon car park 0
Clerac aire(again) 0
Chateau Larcher aire €7
St Romain sur Cher site €16.50 ( bit of a dump)
Courville sur Eure aire 0
Dieppe aire €14

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
One other thing comes to mind which is the direction of signposts at crossroads or roundabouts in France.

When we first went over we got confused and often went the wrong way.

We are now zoned in on the direction of signs and satnavs help but the angles of the arrows indicated to us keep going round but were meant to take you off. No idea if anyone else struggled with this
Personally, I do not understand what you are trying to describe, IWe've had no issue in France.
If you could explain more how the "direction of signposts...." was confusing would help newbies.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Watch out if in small towns and non major roads where you have to give way to traffic from the right.
I don't understand this "rule", your saying, if I'm turning left from a side road, I give way to a vehicle approaching from my right
BUT a vehicle approaching from my left has to give way to me pulling out?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Get and carry GHIC ( formerly EHIC) cards!
In France on day 3 of a 2 month trip to Spain and my front crown (tooth) decides I only need 50% of it. (A baguette did the damage).
A bit of a panic set in, however, I found a local dentist and, despite a bit of language difficulties, 40 minutes later I walk out with a new , temporary, crown. Showed the dentist GHIC card, and paid absolutely nothing for the fantastic setvice.
Holiday saved!

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
This will be very useful for us as we're just planning our first trip abroad in the van. We've had the van for a couple of years now and have done many many weekends and a few longer trips. Stretched our wings last year and went to Ireland for two weeks but we still feel like novices. It was actually talking to a colleague at work that made us feel we could actually do it! She drives to Italy every couple of years (by car) - I was questioning how far she can go in the 2 weeks off work and was given plenty of first hand reassurance. We'd never considered that we could go that far whilst we're working full time and so can only go for 2 weeks at a time.

So we're off this year, and have been questioning our lovely forum friends for advice.

We wish there was a guide on one site for every European country containing ulez (equivalents), tolls advice and generally what paperwork/stickers /vignettes are needed as we seem to forever dipping in and out of different sites.

We've just got our acsi card too for stops en route. Info all in one place would be great.
Try Kate at Wandering bird loads of information on just about everything most of it free

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Personally, I do not understand what you are trying to describe, IWe've had no issue in France.
If you could explain more how the "direction of signposts...." was confusing would help newbies.
I thought i didnt describe it very well. I was hoping someone else might have noted it as well

Perhaps it is I cant remember seeing an upright arrow for straight ahead at a junction. They all seem to be horizontal arrows (the signs on the actual roundabout or crossroads) which at the time meant (to me) keep going round
I m used to them now, but i wasnt then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Perhaps it is I cant remember seeing an upright arrow for straight ahead at a junction. They all seem to be horizontal arrows (the signs on the actual roundabout or crossroads) which at the time meant (to me) keep going round
I m used to them now, but i wasnt then.
Even better if the Mayor of a village falls out with the Mayor of the next village they take all the signs down to that village. :LOL:

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
At the moment, just to keep you on your toes, the Farmer protestors, are busy turning a lot of the town/village names upside down! Just because they can!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Don't be daunted by a few Farmer Protestors, they are generally very good natured and know you aren't the target of their protest.

Dec 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail F60
I'm about to write an in-depth article that will inspire and guide members into crossing the channel. I understand that for some, the idea may seem daunting, and for others, a little nudge is all they need to embark on this fantastic journey.

I'm counting on your valuable insights! Share your experiences, tips, and advice. Whether it's about overcoming fears, navigating the logistics, or simply must-see destinations, I want to hear it all.

Here's what I'm looking for

Your Experiences
Have you crossed the channel in your motorhome? Tell us about it, were you nervous first time out? How is it now?
Must-Do's & Should-Do's
What are the absolute musts for anyone making this journey?
Challenges Overcome
Were you nervous or hesitant before your trip? How did you overcome these feelings?
Logistics
Tips on booking and using ferries or trains, handling formalities, and sorting out insurance.
Stays and Sightseeing
Where are the best places to stay? booking, hidden gems and top attractions ect?
Anything Else
No tip is too small anything - TV, internet, currency, gas, food If it helped you, it might help someone else!

This guide aims to alleviate fears, offer practical advice, and showcase the brilliant opportunities that so many of us enjoy accross the channel. Your contributions are key to making itcomprehensive, confidence-boosting resource for Funsters.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. it would be really nice to make this the go-to guide for channel-crossing

Over to you.
Many French towns have preferred routes for through traffic.
Keep a look out for "Toutes Directions" (all directions) and "Autres Directions" (other directions) if the name of the town you are following disappears from signs and major junctions etc.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I don't understand this "rule", your saying, if I'm turning left from a side road, I give way to a vehicle approaching from my right
BUT a vehicle approaching from my left has to give way to me pulling out?
There is still a problem in some towns - you are driving on the main road, but a car emerges from a street on your right. He has 'priorite a droite. Look out for the yellow diamond with black bar. Then be careful if you see a car to your right.
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 12.40.34.jpg
"It's also worth noting that minor roads may change number from one district to another.
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 12.41.54.png

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
There is really good sticker you can get showing priority on roundabouts. It is clear and can go on the windscreen low down. Worth buying if you are worried.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back