Newbies to France - Brainstorm (2 Viewers)

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Nope , sorry!
Close to bed time is Bonne nuit!

Chuns and who ever is interested :
Bonsoir , first thing first is only when you arrive, and you're meeting someone not when you're leaving, which will be then Bonne soirée.
Now, sometimes people just don't think. A cashier might say bonjour when it's time to say bonsoir, just because saying it 500 times.... He or She becomes a machine, that's all.
In summer let's say by 7.00 / 7.30 people are supposed to say Bonsoir. The day is over ok ? Many a time youngsters or people I meet on the stadium said Bonjour instead of Bonsoir. And I always sort of correct them by saying: "Well if you don't mind my evening is going to start, I've had enough with my working day which is now over so bonsoir suits me better". And very ofter people say , oh yes you're right the working day is over.
So think working day, it will be the best help.
It's about the same thing with Bon après-midi , Good afternoon.: It sounds like an evidence to me : After Noon! Après Midi ! So let's say that nowadays people have lunch a tad later but deffo at 1.00 it is After Noon , isn't it?
So from 1.00 when you are meeting someone you still say Bonjour till 7.00pm but when leaving that person you can say Bon après-midi!

Is it clear? Does it sound logical?

EDIT
I forgot in winter, it will become more spontaneous to say Bonsoir earlier just because the night comes earlier, so don't be surprised
I hope you got all that? 🤷‍♂️ Clear now? :rolleyes::unsure:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
As an advance on the “Bonjour”, as you go into a shop (boutique) say “ Bonjour, Madame, (or mesdames if more than one, and/or monsieur) with a smile. In a restaurant, say Bonjour m’sieurdame (slurring monsieur madame) to each table as you pass, especially if they are looking at you, and if French they will reply. Assume that any woman is Madame, not madamoiselle.

Their hypermarkets, like the Carrefour at Cite d’Europe near the Tunnel, or LeClerc and others in big towns, are enormous. They make a Tesco hypermarket here look like the corner shop! Plenty of gadgets, camping stuff, and the food🦪🍰🧀🍑🍒!! Even the wine and beer.

Sunday markets in small towns can be amazing; try Chalon-sur-Soane for the local produce.

A pleasant drink (for the “ladies”) is a Monaco, essentially a shandy with a dash of grenadine to give a slight sweetness and pink colour.

Jul 24, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Www.about-france.com is a useful source of info. Seems to be kept up to date even though the site design hasn’t been revised for about 30 years:LOL:.

We have tried all ferry routes over the years and always use Dover-Calais now because there are so many options re times etc. I cannot sleep on ships and need my sleep routine so early mornings/late nights are not for me because I would not be fit for anything the next day, especially driving!

First time we went to France in the MH I drove for 4-5 hours a day for 5 days running. It was too much for me, too tiring: now it’s a max 3 hours a day.

Depends what sort of person you are, just bear it in mind when planning, and remember the three motorhoming rules - don’t be in a hurry, don’t be in a hurry, and, yes, don’t be in a hurry!

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
LPG pumps may be on the wrong side if separate from the other pumps. May need to go in against the flow.

Fresh milk can be a hidden rarity. Mostly UHT.

The stop line at main road / side road junctions only extends over half of the side road. I found it confusing at small multi road crossroads.

Speed bumps in 30kph limited roads will send you into orbit if you’re doing more than 20kph.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Download a map app with the already downloaded area. I use mapy cz
Have an app or 2 out of camper contact, s4s or p4n.
Ventusky app for weather.
Work out charges for paying on cards. Our credit card is free for purchases abroad so we pay for everything apart from bread with that and then we keep about 20 euros in coins for Aires or water always aim to have sufficient coinage.
France is huge. Don't try doing it in one go.
Think about transport when you get to your location eg bike ebike scooter etc.
With gas make sure you are able to last the time away or get lpg.
Use the search function on mhf when you get to a place or going to a place to find what others have found.
Buy the book Wild Swimming in France by Daniel Start and get the 2nd edition for about 15 quid off Amazon. This will give you several out of the way swimming lakes cascades clues gorges etc so you don't have to be a swimmer to enjoy it.
Use the photo of the day thread to see where you think you want to go.
Don't do too much. A lot of France will be there next year. !!!!
Thanks for the advice on 'Wild Swimming' just the kind of thing I enjoy doing but didn't think to look for a book with them all in.(y)

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Not a bad idea to have photocopies of important documents. I also keep a list of bank card/passport/Licence numbers on my phone plus digital copies of some docs as well.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a few Youtube videos of my trips to aires/campsites can give you a visual idea of things. The link is in my signature below.
Thanks for that 'movie.' I'm so fatigued I past 'wipe out' a week ago (bad day) but I feel as if I've had a lovely day out. You've found some beautiful places to stay. Really enjoyed your movie! I would be interested in the places and the costs of the sites if that info is available. Thanks again!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In large supermarkets if you want fresh milk, more likely to find some if you look on the refrigerated display that holds eg kiddy sized yoghurts and suchlike.

By the way in case it escaped anyone, saying 'Je suis plein' = I am pregnant.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
I'm about to write an in-depth article that will inspire and guide members into crossing the channel. I understand that for some, the idea may seem daunting, and for others, a little nudge is all they need to embark on this fantastic journey.

I'm counting on your valuable insights! Share your experiences, tips, and advice. Whether it's about overcoming fears, navigating the logistics, or simply must-see destinations, I want to hear it all.

Here's what I'm looking for

Your Experiences
Have you crossed the channel in your motorhome? Tell us about it, were you nervous first time out? How is it now?
Must-Do's & Should-Do's
What are the absolute musts for anyone making this journey?
Challenges Overcome
Were you nervous or hesitant before your trip? How did you overcome these feelings?
Logistics
Tips on booking and using ferries or trains, handling formalities, and sorting out insurance.
Stays and Sightseeing
Where are the best places to stay? booking, hidden gems and top attractions ect?
Anything Else
No tip is too small anything - TV, internet, currency, gas, food If it helped you, it might help someone else!

This guide aims to alleviate fears, offer practical advice, and showcase the brilliant opportunities that so many of us enjoy accross the channel. Your contributions are key to making itcomprehensive, confidence-boosting resource for Funsters.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. it would be really nice to make this the go-to guide for channel-crossing

Over to you.
In addition to all the excellent advice offered, from experience in Marinas, we always carry a polarity tester/reverser to use before plugging in. Some sites (and the rarer Aires de Campingcar with EHU) are reverse polarity.
We also carry an electricity splitter cable - which allows us to share a rare EHU point on Aires (with the agreement of sharer motorhome and having checked their elec load). Splitter had a chain attached to discourage sharer from taking with them!
We used to carry the Vicarious Books guide to Aires de Campingcar (and other publications for Sostas in Italy)
Coins for water/elec dispensers at Aires de CC (although I agree that some require a trip to the local shop to get a jeton)
Certainly photocopies of all important documents, passport etc. secreted in the van.
Avoided parking up anywhere near channel ferry ports overnight (in France).
Master “bonjour” and use it to start every interaction, “merci beaucoup, bonne journée” goes down well.
What a terrific source of info is MHFun! Thank you people.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
From a very recent trip here’s what I found.

The tunnel is a great way to cross the channel. Easy, straightforward, well organised and quick. The Le Shuttle app is worth downloading and using. Tickets can be added to Apple wallet for those with iPhones.
The roads in France are so much better, quieter and easier to drive on than the roads in the UK
French drivers are more courteous than drivers in the UK, this did not used to be the case years ago.
If using motorways get a toll pass from Fuilli or EMovis so easy to pass through the “t” lanes without stopping.
When buying fuel, some stations require you to pay first before filling, some are card only (very easy) some are like the UK, pay after filling.
Use the Aires for overnight stops but not on motorways, they are a fantastic resource and located in some great villages and areas. The motorway Aires are fine for daytime stops.
Camping-Car Park Aires are very good and so is the app which shows available spaces. You can preload your card online for entry instead of paying on arrival and in some cases book ahead.
The France Passion locations are also excellent with welcoming hosts, many are shown on the Search for Sites app.
The Search for Sites app is excellent. You can download a file with all of their locations and upload to a Garmin Sat Nav. You can then just put the SfS “S” no into your Sat Nav, no need for addresses etc.
Many places in towns and villages are closed between 14.00 and 16.00 so do your shopping early or late in the day.
Google translate is your friend, download the app to your phone and then download “French” so that you can use it offline.
Carry a UK/France(continental 2 pin adapter) for hook up but note, many of the Aires use the same three pin plug as the UK.

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
This will be very useful for us as we're just planning our first trip abroad in the van. We've had the van for a couple of years now and have done many many weekends and a few longer trips. Stretched our wings last year and went to Ireland for two weeks but we still feel like novices. It was actually talking to a colleague at work that made us feel we could actually do it! She drives to Italy every couple of years (by car) - I was questioning how far she can go in the 2 weeks off work and was given plenty of first hand reassurance. We'd never considered that we could go that far whilst we're working full time and so can only go for 2 weeks at a time.

So we're off this year, and have been questioning our lovely forum friends for advice.

We wish there was a guide on one site for every European country containing ulez (equivalents), tolls advice and generally what paperwork/stickers /vignettes are needed as we seem to forever dipping in and out of different sites.

We've just got our acsi card too for stops en route. Info all in one place would be great.
Copy all documents you’ll need to take with you and leave them where they can be accessed ir with someone you trust. Take only the originals you need and carry them in a waterproof file in your bag when you leave the van.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
This sounds like a great plan.
Perhaps I can tell the story of our first French trip. While we had been in Europe many times before, our first trip in a Motorhome with three small kids and very little money started badly.
First. We arrived in Calais at about 5pm. Mistake. Kids were hungry and we needed to stop soon. We were also low on diesel thinking we would save money on fuel in France rather than UK. Great plan but we did not know where to go.
We were terrified we would end up on a motorway that needed tolls. We had little to spare. So panic at the first roundabout we went into town. Kids asking for food, we stopped at a McDonalds which was expensive and the kids were not impressed- they like real food.
We decided to cut our losses and drove a few miles down the road to a camp site. No space. OK. We drove a few more miles, fuel warning light glowing in the dusk, stopped at a lay-by and put the kids to bed.
I walked along the road to see a Brit truck. The driver told me to go a few more miles and buy fuel in Belgium as it was really cheap. The following morning it was sunny, the fuel saved us a packet and the rest of the trip was great.

All this was a long time ago.
Tips,
Get an early ferry or train so you have time on the other side. Plan your first day or two in detail until you find your feet.

These days, fuel is the same sort of price in UK so have plenty.
With issues of stowaways, keep the lane info thing they give you at the port and hang it on the mirror when you are anywhere around Northern France - it makes it look like you are starting your trip so stowaways are less likely to bother as they are looking for Uk bound vehicle

Aug 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
A class
Absolutely brilliant advice from all, as usual. We've been going since 1970's VW Camper, now B544. In our 80's and still find it exhiliarating and relaxing at the same time. Fascinating how most people revise their preconceptions about La Belle France and its people...they are mostly friendly and courteous. Only one thing I'd add, watch out for radars, and the police, they can seem quite scary., and if in a motorhome, try to avoid the Peripherique, and in rush hour-dont ask me how I know...

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I'm about to write an in-depth article that will inspire and guide members into crossing the channel. I understand that for some, the idea may seem daunting, and for others, a little nudge is all they need to embark on this fantastic journey.

I'm counting on your valuable insights! Share your experiences, tips, and advice. Whether it's about overcoming fears, navigating the logistics, or simply must-see destinations, I want to hear it all.

Your Experiences
Have you crossed the channel in your motorhome? Tell us about it, were you nervous first time out? How is it now?
Must-Do's & Should-Do's
Challenges Overcome
Were you nervous or hesitant before your trip? How did you overcome these feelings?
Logistics
Tips on booking and using ferries or trains, handling formalities, and sorting out insurance.
Stays and Sightseeing
Where are the best places to stay? booking, hidden gems and top attractions ect?
Anything Else
No tip is too small anything - TV, internet, currency, gas, food If it helped you, it might help someone else!

This guide aims to alleviate fears, offer practical advice, and showcase the brilliant opportunities that so many of us enjoy accross the channel. Your contributions are key to making itcomprehensive, confidence-boosting resource for Funsters.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. it would be really nice to make this the go-to guide for channel-crossing

Over to you.
We bought our van and two weeks later we were in France, heading south to Greece. We were already used to camping in France, having had a trailer tent, there's is, frankly, no country better for motorhomes. The sites are normally pretty brilliant, municipal camp sites great and fantastic value, and parking is generally very easy. The French love camping and their attitude to motorhomes is a million miles better than the grudgy, nimby attitude you can find in the UK. If you don't get yourself across the channel, you need to give your head a wobble.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
A simple thing; 'motorhome' in French is 'Camping-car' :)

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Set up a Shapps file, (Shit Happens abreviated) with copies of All vehicle Documents, Driving Licence, Passports any Tickets etc etc ( you get the picture). Save this to a cloud storage file like Dropbox, (other versions are available). Then if everything goes tits up, you can walk into any police station, hotel etc and access it all on line. Also set up a bank account that you can access from anywhere Same reasoning. Now, with your Arse well and truly covered, and many "What if" worries alleviated, Go out and thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
When you first start driving over in Europe don't try to follow road numbers on signs, it will confuse you. instead look at a map and look for cities and towns along your route and follow the signs to them.
eg when you leave calais if your heading down towards Lyon, you won't see Lyon signposted but on the map the first place is Arras, then Reims, then Dijon, etc, it really does help at the start.
I found this the easiest way when I first started driving trucks over there which I did for many years in the 90's early 2000's
Take your time and go at your own pace and don't be afraid to stop and ask. But most of all enjoy it.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Is travelling to/in France so different to the greater European continent?
Is this not a European guide? A couple of additional LPG adaptors and languages you can't understand, sorted.
We'll have been away a year in a few weeks, touring USA.
People appear to plan forwards and forget about what they are leaving behind.
Domestic insurance permitted vacancy period?
Home security, given the property will be vacant for extended period?
Garden maintenance?
Van MOT/Tax coverage?
Spares for common failing parts, most vehicle parts are available across Europe but think of the
habitation parts that might fail.
Vehicle(s) left @ home?
A forward plan: EU 10 year passport rule.

Some thought in here may help:

To put in context our experience, we bought MH 2021 KOn-Tiki 599 sport, went for a jaunt, DPF failed, meaning van was recovered to dealer.
Collected from dealer and went on second jaunt collecting a trailer and putting Aygo on it.
So after less than 15 days MH experience we crossed then channel for a 6 week tour of Spain/Portugal, as planning
for 12 month tour of USA.
On return sold the trailer, to much hassle, Uber etal cheaper than shipping van and trailer.
So now approaching the end of the 12 months, 54,000 miles driven, 49 States/State Capitols done, home via Hawaii.
Plan for the worst hope for the best.
We bought Oil/Air filters, brake pads, wiper blades as the Ducato is not available in USA and ProMater has petrol engine.
We've worn through 6 tyres.
We may be unusual that we just "go for it" but YOLO.

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
We are working class 😉 so time is precious which affected our decisions first time, and still does.
Don’t be nervous, it’s no different to going to the Isle of Wight other than the food, wine and weather is better
Don’t try to pack too much in. France is really close so it’s easy to go back
France is a big place so pick an area, research and book a ferry (or tunnel) to suit. You wouldn’t try and tour Blighty in a fortnight so why try it it France.
Don’t waste time on a day crossing to save money if your chosen ferry is one of the longer routes east of Dover - go overnight, arrive fresh and remove wasted time effort and fuel tracking across country.
If short on time use toll roads to munch the miles. Not expensive, especially for 3.5t or under. The autoroutes.fr website is brilliant to plan with costs.
But don’t spend all day driving if you have passengers. After three hours eye spy loses its charm. We tend to smash it down to a destination and crawl back on the old roads. Look out for the brown town and village signs off the big roads and autoroutes. These are usually worth a visit even if just to break the journey and grab a coffee or lunch. Just be careful of local 3.5t limits. Oh and speed bumps. They build some brutes in France. I have only ever used my hill descent mode once, when descending off a particularly steep one in Brittany.
Use the apps. Try the aires but be prepared to find no room at the inn from time to time in high season around tourist hotspots. If worried use CCP or municipal sites which you can book in advance. We did that for our first night in France. Just took the edge off and allowed us to relax that first day. We try to get to an aire by 11 normally.
Our biggest concern on our first visit was access to waste and water on the aires with all the weird and wonderful dispensing contraptions especially the ones that take jetons. Wtf is a jeton we asked ourselves. No bother, ask a neighbour if unclear- everyone was there for the first time once. By the third aire you’re the expert. A collapsible bucket and a watering can for the aires is handy to the point that you can overt the mad dash for the motorhome point when you try to leave
We generally factor spending two nights in a place. If it’s shabby we move on sooner.
Eat out - the French are good cooks but get there early if you do lunch. Tables full by 12:30. ALWAYS have thé café gourmand for desert.
Do the markets for fruit and veg and cheese
Try using some French even if it is a bit allo allo. It goes a long way.
France is closed on a Sunday which is nice because it’s a time to chill, or cover some miles because the roads are quiet.
Have a couple of SIM cards so you are covered phone and internet wise
Have V5, insurance and breakdown to hand. A dash cam is also a good idea on foreign shores especially if you don’t speak the lingo. Crit air sticker needed for some cities- easy to buy on line before you go.
Gas refill is plentiful- buy an adapter kit before you go. You won’t need it if you have one, but if you don’t…
Don’t fill up on motorways. Use a camper satnav or app to get you to the station just off the motorway.
France is full of hidden gems. But don’t discount the popular places. Yes can be busy but usually better facilities and more to do or see. For example Puy du Fou or Futuroscope.
Thank you!

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
When you first start driving over in Europe don't try to follow road numbers on signs, it will confuse you. instead look at a map and look for cities and towns along your route and follow the signs to them.
eg when you leave calais if your heading down towards Lyon, you won't see Lyon signposted but on the map the first place is Arras, then Reims, then Dijon, etc, it really does help at the start.
I found this the easiest way when I first started driving trucks over there which I did for many years in the 90's early 2000's
Take your time and go at your own pace and don't be afraid to stop and ask. But most of all enjoy it.
What good advice. We used to set off over there, me driving with ‘instructions’ from Husband and girlfriend Ms Satnav, often not in agreement with each other, and getting into daft situations until I suggested WE CHECK A PAPER MAP AND FIND WHICH TOWNS TO LOOK OUT FOR ON ROAD SIGNS. Capitals there because I may have got just a bit sweary at one point…or was that only after I had to do an emergency stop before the Paris tunnel…

Jul 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 620
. Sorry to say but we do have some "a priori" about English thinking they won't speak another language as everyone is supposed to speak it! :rolleyes: :censored::censored:
I can understand we English do come across like that. The trouble is when you're trying your best, painfully and slowly, with your schoolgirl French (insert any language) you can guarantee the other person will more often than not jump in and speak English! We get worse, they get better and so it goes on... ☺️

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
For our first trip to France we decided to have a look at the D Day sites in Normandy. I did a spreadsheet of costs for mileage, time and costs, factoring in using Tesco rewards. The obvious one for us was Newhaven to Dieppe and, by using this fantastic forum, found out about the over 60's discount.
To keep the stress down we booked a site.

Since that first trip we now use search4sites, park4night, camping car parks and ACSI. We've managed to park for the day within walking distance to many places.

Most big supermarkets have plenty of space for Motorhomes but be aware that nearer Paris some have height barriers as they have problems with "travellers"

We have also found that most fuel outlets are now pay at pump.

It is well worth getting a toll tag even if you don't intend to do much driving on the peage.

If using a satnav use as much of the address as you can. The numbers are just the town. As an example the aire near the ferry terminal in Dieppe is, QUAI GASTON LALITTE, DIEPPE, 76200. Just type in the part in upper case and leave the numbers out. We have also found that using Google maps for the last mile or two is helpful.

A little bit of French is worth knowing but be able to say something like "Desole, c'est tout le francais que je connais" (sorry that is all the French I know). If someone thinks you understand well you may get a torrent of idiomatic French which will be too quick for you to pick up. We do the same to visitors to England so don't think that people on the continent are being rude. I actually did an evening course to improve my French and, whilst booking in on a site my accent was remarked on and I was asked if I was Belgian :giggle:

Remember that in some places the French enjoy a long lunch and shops might be closed for two hours between 12 and 2.

Some campsite toilets may not have toilet paper (or even seats). It's probably more healthy to "hover" anyway.

Swimming pools tend to insist on trunks and ban shorts in the pool.

Most important relax, smile and say Bon Jour. Try the local foods.
In a French campsite pool with my wife, daughter and grand daughters, the camp comandant made me leave the pool beecause I wore swimming shorts. (not baggy or ordinary shorts) Arguing was no use with this man, rules were rules. He followed me back to my van to ensure I did not re-enter the pool. He than followed me back to the pool where I entered the water wearing my fancy striped underpants (briefs). Apparently that was OK because they looked like swimming trunks.

My granddaughter's were mortified that I was in the pool in my underpants, but then broke out into laughter, realising how I had got one over on the comandant.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Or just use a good satnav. There are always junctions in town where none of the towns on route that you can remember are not on the signs.

I've towed a caravan through the centres of London, Paris, Barcelona and Amsterdam in pre satnav times.

Nov 1, 2023
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 680G
What brilliant advice as ever from fellow Funsters. Someone advised on another thread to take a copy of your sight test prescription just in case you lose your glasses (and don’t have a spare pair!)! Sound advice. My wife also carries a card in her purse listing her health conditions and allergies in case of emergency. May be worth getting these translated should anything untoward happen whilst in France.

Feb 8, 2023
Rainhill
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 Sun Ti
Exp
moho since 2012
Diesel in the yellow pump named Gazole, caught us out on first visit, had to ask someone, felt like a right amateur.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I thought that I was logged onto motorhomefun but obviously not.
We were all working class when we were planning our first trips to France.
Not ALL, we did not buy a motorhome until we retired @ 56, working class but luck we both did 20+ years with
Kodak while they still had their final salary pension scheme.
We did a couple of short UK shakedown trips followed by 6 weeks Spain/Portugal and 6 month later we arrived
in USA for a 12 month road trip, now in last couple of weeks heading back towards Halifax to ship the van home. We then fly to Hawaii to tick off 50th State/State Capitol.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Copy all documents you’ll need to take with you and leave them where they can be accessed ir with someone you trust. Take only the originals you need and carry them in a waterproof file in your bag when you leave the van.
We photographed/scanned all "important" documents and emailed, as attachments to ourselves.
Also copies in daughter/friend as backup.
Personally Passports/V5/important documents are safer in the van than on your person.
As a wild guess all vans have somewhere to hide documents.
Again personally, the probability of losing/having bag stolen is far greater than documents being found in van or
them being disastrous in fire/flood.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S

Your Experiences
Must-Do's & Should-Do's
Challenges Overcome
Logistics
Stays and Sightseeing
Anything Else

Over to you.
I would like to raise a point of concern regarding the proposed "in-depth article that will inspire and guide members into crossing the channel".

I'll caveat this post with we're newbies. We bought our 1st motorhome, Kon-Tiki 599 April 22, only 1,400 miles on
clock, so "newish".
Did a couple of short shakedown trips in UK, on 1st DPF filter failed, van recovered to dealer, salvaged DPF filter
for van on forecourt, after 2 month wait for spare.
2nd trip no issues, so planned 6 week Spain/Portugal tour, having survived 6 week in van, we took the next step that
was a 12 month US roadtrip.
I only posted 1 question "If you were travelling for a year in the USA what spares would you take with you".

Naturally I don't know your definition of "in-depth" but I believe in Darwinism, "You write an "in-depth article......"
or idiots guide, and evolution will create a better idiot.

Personally my "in-depth" article would be, you are you, your plans/requirements are unique so plan YOUR trip, do your research, do your research, do your research, only YOU can plan YOUR trip, if after doing your research X3, you
didn't find the answer ask.

Too many people today don't think and just ask, then complain when what they read on the forum was "wrong/not what
they wanted".

There was a post early on "Also a definitive step by step guide to taking a dog abroad would be helpful."
Not a pet owner but I'm pretty sure there are multiple OFFICIAL websites advising "step by step" how to take a pet abroad.

A search of the forum will no doubt answer the vast majority of question.
Giving "in-depth advise" and something goes wrong, it will be Jim told me.....Members are one thing Freebies can read
the "in-depth advise" as well. May not be a legal issue but a credibility one?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back