Newbies to France - Brainstorm (2 Viewers)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Speaking as one for whom this article might be intended, what I would ask is that there isn't this annoing assumption of what we should be doing there! Some people will want to go to Paris and see the sights, some will be going to get to Germany ... telling us that we need to appreciate the villages is not necessarily helpful.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Never to be beaten by a French butcher again !
But you still have to queue 45 mins.? Sod that for a game of soldiers!
1706213647810.jpeg

Agreed , so I bought this beauty for the van !

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Rule number 1 in France. After saying bonjour, if a conversation ensues and your French is very poor, then learn and regurgitate this phrase;
Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas beaucoup français, je suis écossais.
You will find that you have immediately changed status from barely sufferable, somewhat annoying person, to potential best friend, who deserves a decent bit of service and a smile.
You're welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Because we say it with English by all means , and saying it about French was a clever adaptation of this colloquial expression. I should have put it as it's used here. "Je parle Anglais comme une vache Espagnole".
We also say "C'est du chinois pour moi" when we don't get something, even said in French. It can be some specific vocabulary, like, in my case, anything related to computer. Let's say, someone tells me: Envoie-le en PDF" I will answer for sure "C'est du Chinois pour moi. Dis moi en détails ce qu'il faut faire avec des mots que je comprends"
Also , I will add: French being a difficult language to learn, it is always very surprising to hear an English person speaking it, and of course if you made the effort to adapt it to your case then .... whooaa hooba hooba !!!!! . Sorry to say but we do have some "a priori" about English thinking they won't speak another language as everyone is supposed to speak it! :rolleyes: :censored::censored:
Thanks, yodeli. All clear now.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Because we say it with English by all means , and saying it about French was a clever adaptation of this colloquial expression. I should have put it as it's used here. "Je parle Anglais comme une vache Espagnole".
We also say "C'est du chinois pour moi" when we don't get something, even said in French. It can be some specific vocabulary, like, in my case, anything related to computer. Let's say, someone tells me: Envoie-le en PDF" I will answer for sure "C'est du Chinois pour moi. Dis moi en détails ce qu'il faut faire avec des mots que je comprends"
Also , I will add: French being a difficult language to learn, it is always very surprising to hear an English person speaking it, and of course if you made the effort to adapt it to your case then .... whooaa hooba hooba !!!!! . Sorry to say but we do have some "a priori" about English thinking they won't speak another language as everyone is supposed to speak it! :rolleyes: :censored::censored:
Don't know whether this is the right place for this, but, yodeli, please may I have another French culture lesson? I hope it helps others. I am really confused about when 'bonjour' becomes 'bonsoir'. There seems to be no consistency - I was once told that 'bonsoir' was only used when close to bed time; but I have met different responses at the same time of day. For example, we greeted somebody "bonjour". They replied "bonsoir". OK, that is what it is, we thought, so said "bonsoir" to the next person, who smilingly replied "bonjour". So for the couple it was "bonjour" again. Guess what the response was! It was "bonsoir", of course.

I suspect it is an elaborate wind-up of hapless Brits.

Interesting about 'C'est du chinois pour moi', maybe you already know the English equivalent is "It is all Greek to me."?

Thanks again for the guidance.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You're right Bonsoir is usually used close to bed time. Leaving someone in the evening.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You're right Bonsoir is usually used close to bed time. Leaving someone in the evening.
Nope , sorry!
Close to bed time is Bonne nuit!

Chuns and who ever is interested :
Bonsoir , first thing first is only when you arrive, and you're meeting someone not when you're leaving, which will be then Bonne soirée.
Now, sometimes people just don't think. A cashier might say bonjour when it's time to say bonsoir, just because saying it 500 times.... He or She becomes a machine, that's all.
In summer let's say by 7.00 / 7.30 people are supposed to say Bonsoir. The day is over ok ? Many a time youngsters or people I meet on the stadium said Bonjour instead of Bonsoir. And I always sort of correct them by saying: "Well if you don't mind my evening is going to start, I've had enough with my working day which is now over so bonsoir suits me better". And very ofter people say , oh yes you're right the working day is over.
So think working day, it will be the best help.
It's about the same thing with Bon après-midi , Good afternoon.: It sounds like an evidence to me : After Noon! Après Midi ! So let's say that nowadays people have lunch a tad later but deffo at 1.00 it is After Noon , isn't it?
So from 1.00 when you are meeting someone you still say Bonjour till 7.00pm but when leaving that person you can say Bon après-midi!

Is it clear? Does it sound logical?

EDIT
I forgot in winter, it will become more spontaneous to say Bonsoir earlier just because the night comes earlier, so don't be surprised

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was probably too young to be sufficiently concerned about it on my first trip. And for each trip after I never had any problems except one.

ALWAYS keep your fuel tank above the half way point. You never know when a string of petrol stations will be out of order, OR not accept your card and the cash pay bit is shut down.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
it is an elaborate wind-up
No, honestly I don't think so. There are just people who don't give a monkey about what they should say. The language has become some source of argument lately with genders for example. He and She are nearly an insult for some people. Even in the creches you should not give kitchen play set to girls but to boys and girls. Anyway, what I mean is don't be too tough with yourself. It is not because you don't understand how it works. It's not you, it's how people tend to be now. Being someone who teaches, of course I do care, I always correct the little ones.
I don't think they want to wind you up. Most of the time , they just ignore the rules, and mostly because they don't understand what they say, it's as simple as that. The fact you use a word like afternoon very very often makes you forget what it means basically it is AFTER NOON time.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Speaking as one for whom this article might be intended, what I would ask is that there isn't this annoing assumption of what we should be doing there! Some people will want to go to Paris and see the sights, some will be going to get to Germany ... telling us that we need to appreciate the villages is not necessarily helpful.
Whether this helps you or not, I think the advice to see the villages (not necessarily all of them) is aimed at occasionally stopping there rather than a motorway service station, which would then give you the opportunity of a walk round some lovely places, which fits in with the majority of peoples views (who like France).

If that fits into your agenda then getting a map of all the Plus Beaux Villages of France and incorporating them into your journey or a destination is always helpful https://jadorelyon.com/les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france-truly-magical/

There are numerous more Beaux villages and villages of outstanding natural beauty and regional beaux villages and many will have signs upon them when you enter the town. Some are obviously better than others

Appreciating this may not be your bag, but for your consideration should you be passing one and for the information of others (and Jim)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've not yet been to France yet but I've found this web site quite useful from the driving point of view.
It's got quite a lot of depth to it so spend some time exploring it, and is updated quite regularly. (y)
https://about-france.com/driving.htm

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Be very careful how you pronounce "Thank you very much".
Merci beaucoup
and
Merci beau cul

Sound identical to the untrained English ear but have completely different meaning. One will get you a smile the other will get you a slap. Try doing it in google translate. :p

yodeli I think you might find this one amusing. I came close to getting slapped by a bar maid and was only saved by my French girl friend explaining that I was English and just learning.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Nope , sorry!
Close to bed time is Bonne nuit!

Chuns and who ever is interested :
Bonsoir , first thing first is only when you arrive, and you're meeting someone not when you're leaving, which will be then Bonne soirée.
Now, sometimes people just don't think. A cashier might say bonjour when it's time to say bonsoir, just because saying it 500 times.... He or She becomes a machine, that's all.
In summer let's say by 7.00 / 7.30 people are supposed to say Bonsoir. The day is over ok ? Many a time youngsters or people I meet on the stadium said Bonjour instead of Bonsoir. And I always sort of correct them by saying: "Well if you don't mind my evening is going to start, I've had enough with my working day which is now over so bonsoir suits me better". And very ofter people say , oh yes you're right the working day is over.
So think working day, it will be the best help.
It's about the same thing with Bon après-midi , Good afternoon.: It sounds like an evidence to me : After Noon! Après Midi ! So let's say that nowadays people have lunch a tad later but deffo at 1.00 it is After Noon , isn't it?
So from 1.00 when you are meeting someone you still say Bonjour till 7.00pm but when leaving that person you can say Bon après-midi!

Is it clear? Does it sound logical?

EDIT
I forgot in winter, it will become more spontaneous to say Bonsoir earlier just because the night comes earlier, so don't be surprised

Bon mot!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

It might be worth having a section on what to do and see in France. Some people might not be aware that there are beautiful villages and towns in France!

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
No, honestly I don't think so. There are just people who don't give a monkey about what they should say. The language has become some source of argument lately with genders for example. He and She are nearly an insult for some people. Even in the creches you should not give kitchen play set to girls but to boys and girls. Anyway, what I mean is don't be too tough with yourself. It is not because you don't understand how it works. It's not you, it's how people tend to be now. Being someone who teaches, of course I do care, I always correct the little ones.
I don't think they want to wind you up. Most of the time , they just ignore the rules, and mostly because they don't understand what they say, it's as simple as that. The fact you use a word like afternoon very very often makes you forget what it means basically it is AFTER NOON time.
Thanks, yodeli, informative and helpful.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Also, if unsure regarding supermarkets for groceries, then just search for Aldi or Lidl, layout of stores very similar and similar products

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It's getting close to my first trip to France and I thought I'd post the stuff that I feel I need to know for trip. I realise that some of it will probably seem absurd to the regulars but I'll post it even if it gets shot down 🥰. There's a packing type Checklist and some (mostly driving related) general stuff.

Checklist

UK sticker; Emissions stickers; Disable Speed cams; Beam adapters; Hi Viz; Triangle; Tunnel Tickets; Site Bookings; Travel Insurance; Driving Licence; Van Insurance; Cash EUROs; Credit cards; Club membership cards; Recovery details/numbers; Log book (V5C); Passports; Health Cards (E/GHIC); EHU adapter; Spare bulb kit; First aid kit; Sat nav routes & paper copies; Wrong side graphic; Spare spectacles; FCO Website advice; NI Numbers; MOT & Tax details; Fuel can; Road Map; Sun / Mosi Cream; Medication & prescription; RAC App.

France

130km/h Motorway; Dual carriageways: 110 km/h; Main roads: 80 km/h; Built-up areas : 50 km/h.

The maximum legal blood alcohol level for drivers in France is 0.05%, which is just over half the 0.08% limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It’s illegal to use a mobile phone while driving in France, however completely hands-free mobile phone units are allowed. It’s also illegal to use headphones or earbuds, including bluetooth devices.

When driving in France, all vehicles must have tyres with a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm. If this depth is less than 1.6 mm – even in one place – the tyre is too smooth and must be changed.

From 2021, every year during the winter period (from 1 November to 31 March), vehicles must be equipped with winter tyres or snow chains in certain mountainous areas of France. These areas include the Alps, the Massif Central, the Jura Mountains, the Pyrenees and the Vosges.

On roads with two side-by-side lanes, parking is only allowed on the right-hand side. On one-way streets, parking is allowed on both sides as long as the street is wide enough.

Continuous yellow lines on the road or kerb indicate that both stopping and parking are prohibited in this location. Broken yellow lines indicate that parking is prohibited.

The following fuel types are common:

Sans plomb 95 – Higher octane petrol

Sans plomb 98 – Standard octane petrol

Gazole – Diesel

Toll booths in France are designed for left-hand drive cars, so right-hand drive cars may find them hard to navigate without the help of a passenger.

As the majority of French motorways are privately managed, it’s against the law to call for your own assistance company to aid you if you break down.

In the event of a break down on a motorway or main road, there are orange emergency telephones situated every 2km which you should use to call the police or an official break down service. If no orange telephone is available, you can dial 112 on your own phone to contact the emergency services, who should be able to assist you.

Once you have contacted the police or break down service, your vehicle will be towed to a safe area where you can then be met by your chosen breakdown provider.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
As one of the exploited class (other class being the exploiters the only two that exist in Britain, think about it) I have been to France 3 times, once when 18 on my pushbike then 26 on My Norton with missus, last 57 with son passing thru on a coach to Cern (Staying at Geneva Youth hostel). Neither experiances are all together helpful in knowing the ropes with a Motorhome. Today i am 69 and reading Licences threads made me think this year could be easier than next. One thing that Ive missed from this thread is what spares are important I am not a leave it to the rescue merchants. On the other hand im not suggesting a spare gearbox but minimum spare wheel obd2 scanner (preferably "one that speaks Fiat" for Ducato owners) Differential DPF sensor Turbo solenoid or whatever is the flavour of the month for your model. Obviously extent of toolkit will rely on user capabiity and payload.
As a footnote Multiecuscan can be easily switched between languages to help any back street garage.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
These may have already been covered, but here goes. For those never explored the beauties of mainland Europe: -

1. Research and plan your "First Day" more than you would for any other day, particularly your route from the ferry port or tunnel. don't assume the guy in front is heading in your direction.
  2. Remember, France is a very very big country. Your on holiday, take your time to embrace the culture. You haven't got to see it all in one trip.
  3. As its your first trip, make sure you fill up with Derv and LPG in the UK were your familiar with how things work, whilst it'll cost you a few £'s more you'll find it a lot less stressful, and a few things less to worry about until you get used to things and how they work in France.
  4. If your intending to use motorways (autoroutes) get an Emovis tag/fob you'll find it a lot easier at the toll booths
  5. Arm yourself with a few basic French words/phrase i.e. Hello (Bonjour) Thank you (Merci) Good bye (au revoir) where is the garage (où est le garage). any other words and phrases Google Translate is your friend.
That's my lot for now, got to go and watch the football.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just found out about the 'free flow' Toll system that's on part of my journey. I had intended just to pay cash/card but it's no longer accepted (at the Strasbourg end of the A4 and some other places) so have chosen to sign up for the BIP&GO one month at a time tag.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
As someone said at the start, France is big. You could comfortably spend 2 weeks travelling around Brittany and you haven’t scratched the surface so to speak. The good news is the roads are generally superb. Most sites are on another level and weather can be fantastic. Go to the islands Ile de Noirmoutier & Ile de Re, go to Concarneau. Visit an E.Leclerc hypermarket. You can set Sat Nav to avoid tolls. Enjoy the Aires network either as overnight stopovers or mid-journey breaks. Get yourself a Revolut card so you can pay in Euros. Have a back-up card such as a Halifax Clarity for big purchases like fuel so you don’t deplete your euros. Expect to make mistakes - whoppers sometimes! Remember that it’s all a ‘journey’ and it’s just as exciting at the start than later on. Lastly check passports and remember ferry operators can let you on an earlier sailing if it suits them. Recently arrived at Dover at 11:45 for the 2:00 pm Dunkerque crossing and they squeezed us on the 12:00 crossing. France is lovely and you’d have a hard time not enjoying yourselves.

Apr 14, 2018
Gillingham, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i482
Exp
20 years
I'm about to write an in-depth article that will inspire and guide members into crossing the channel. I understand that for some, the idea may seem daunting, and for others, a little nudge is all they need to embark on this fantastic journey.

I'm counting on your valuable insights! Share your experiences, tips, and advice. Whether it's about overcoming fears, navigating the logistics, or simply must-see destinations, I want to hear it all.

Here's what I'm looking for

Your Experiences
Have you crossed the channel in your motorhome? Tell us about it, were you nervous first time out? How is it now?
Must-Do's & Should-Do's
What are the absolute musts for anyone making this journey?
Challenges Overcome
Were you nervous or hesitant before your trip? How did you overcome these feelings?
Logistics
Tips on booking and using ferries or trains, handling formalities, and sorting out insurance.
Stays and Sightseeing
Where are the best places to stay? booking, hidden gems and top attractions ect?
Anything Else
No tip is too small anything - TV, internet, currency, gas, food If it helped you, it might help someone else!

This guide aims to alleviate fears, offer practical advice, and showcase the brilliant opportunities that so many of us enjoy accross the channel. Your contributions are key to making itcomprehensive, confidence-boosting resource for Funsters.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. it would be really nice to make this the go-to guide for channel-crossing

Over to you.
'Action' is a chain of shops like Wilko. They sell branded stuff cheap. They also sell toilet blue for a few Euros.
Oh, In a restaurant, If the waiter asks if you would like anything else, do NOT say "Non merci, je suis plein"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back